Utah Overcomes Mistakes; Beat Vols

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by MaxATX34, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Feb 17, 2009
    Utes win 21-14!

(Highlights wouldnt upload)
    Coach Max and the #5 ranked Utes put their ranking on the line @ Neyland Stadium in front of 100,000+ rabid Tennessee fans and came away victorious. "Its tough to come out of there alive, and when you're starting a [Redshirt] Freshman QB it doesn't make things any easier" said the Head Coach after the game.

Speaking of the QB, Maurice Wright did win the game, but things didnt start smoothly at all for him. Utah lost the coin toss and got the ball first. On the opening drive of the game, Wright attempted his first collegiate pass and it was intercepted and taken to the house. Utah Nation had a collective "WTF?" moment, but Maurice definitely showed us that he has a short memory. He came out firing on the next drive and lead his squad down the field for a TD, which noticeably eased the tension on the Utes sideline, and somewhat quelled the Vols fan, who smelled blood early.

Wright would have to recover from a few more mistakes though. He threw another pick, and coughed up the ball on a sack. These things were expected from a youngster making his first start. Apart from that pick 6, none of his mistakes resulted in points for Tenn thanks to an inspired defense who knew they would be on high-alert fielding a green QB against a tough D in a crazy environment on the road. Utah's defensive squad shut down the Vols and held them to 142yd of total offense and 2-8 on 3rd down.

The main story of the day was the new face at QB for Utah, but Derek Cowan's effort cannot go unrecognized. He definitely carried the team with 145yd and TD on 20 attempts, and became the go-to guy once Wright looked to be having trouble through the air. Maurice got in on the ground game too, though. He had a couple of effective option carries and showed his potential on a 22yd run off a broken play.

"He looks like he has the clutch gene" quipped Coach Max at the post-game press conference "...a couple of our guys on defense have the clutch gene too". The plays/players he was referring to were Maurice Wright's 31yd rainbow pass to get in scoring position on the game-winning drive, and So. ROLB Justin Nash. Nash ole'd! his blocker and leveled Tenn's RB for a loss on a 4th down attempt that would have most-likely sealed the game for the Vols. Wright's lob came right after that play and setup the game-winning TD run.

GG BDSDIGITAL That was a fun one that came down to the wire.

Next week the Utes return home to defend Rice-Eccles stadium from the Rebels of Ole Miss. This Top 5 battle will be hyped up all week and should be a good indicator of what type of season both schools can expect.

Maurice Wright
    9/12 0TD 2INT, 1FUMBLE, (1) 2PT CONV
    11ATT ??yd (He got sacked twice so I dont know how much he really ran for. Long of 22)

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Jun 5, 2009
    My squad gets a round of applause for this one. My defense is gritty and hits hard. The kid from Utah played well, but took alot of shots. great game max. I had the ball up 1 from his 25ish on 4th and 1 and decided to go for the first down...instead of the 4 pt lead. I missed a 45 yd fg earlier in the game. I called the right play (stretch left) but his lb made a great play to stop that dead. I had the matchup I wanted but his man made the big play.

After that is was only a matter of time before max got it into fg range to win it. As it turned out he scored a td and we couldn't land the hail mary.

All i can do is tip my hat. gg max.......that's how it goes sometimes.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Feb 10, 2009
    ...and that's how it's done.
    • Like Like x 1