Utah Press Conference

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bcduggan, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Utah Press Conference

Any questions concerning the Utes, their last game, future game, etc related to the Utes will be answered here.

Opening Statement:

If you read the print right after the game you saw my comments about the officiating. Given these comments may already get me in some hot water with the NCAA, the university has asked that no questions be asked about the officiating, I would like to say that UNC is an excellent football team that outplayed us all game and they deserve to be commended for their win.

First question is from the reporter with the BYU hat on: Given the poor performance against UNC, do you think you will survive the season as coach and be ready for the Holy War at end of season?

It's only one game, and as we learn this new style of offense as a team we will be ready for any team and will be bowl eligible. The new style of offense is the same playbook, hopefully simpler. We will be ready for BYU and the Holy War at end of regular season, but it's one game at a time. How dare you insult Utah and their opponents by implying that they are already looking ahead to the Holy War at end of season.

Next question please

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

With your first game with the Utes being a tough one, do you still expect to achieve your goals this season?

3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Emmdotfrisk> With your first game with the Utes being a tough one, do you still expect to achieve your goals this season?

Let's see

Goals

Your Goals for the next 2 Seasons:

1. Win Conference Title- Maybe, I think the game against CSU will determine which way we go this year.

2. Finish Season in Top 10-No, we need to go undefeated rest of season, have LSU and CSU next 2 weeks, I will be happy with top 25 at end of season.

3. Play in a BCS Bowl-Not this year, CSU has a good shot though.

4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

With your reaction to confidence in the Moutain West Conference, are you overlooking Air Force? It is my understanding they are a tough team with a lot of talent and a good coach. Do you believe they are out of the picture?

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

No, we are not overlooking anyone. I can see why people would think that. CSU did well here last season and they are the team to beat. Those at AFA are good and are a top 3 team in conference. Right now I see it as

1 CSU
    2 AFA/Utah
    3 AFA/Utah

not sure of rest of conference yet, my opinion of us may drop after the LSU game.

6. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Coach Duggan, I understand your concern with CSU. They did have a good season last year, but lost in conference to both Utah and TCU. Things have changed this year, and having lost Asiata to graduation, where does your offense turn for dependable production this year?

With tough top tier teams like TCU and BYU, the MWC could be a 5 horse race if AFA and CSU make big pushes again this year. I believe three of us have a 2 season goal of winning the conference. Sounds like at least one of us will be out in the cold in two years, having not reached that goal. How do you plan on taking advantage of your opportunities?

Mike

Mike

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Our offense needs to turn to the seniors for the leadership and use the speed this team has to make some noise. Eddie Wide has great hands out of backfield and can burn the field on the ground. We have a good receiving corp that can put up some numbers. Our big weakness is our oline. Without good blockers the offense does not go.

The goal, like you said is a 2 year goal. This year we will give it our best shot and hope to win the MWC. If we win it that would be great. It would mean we played our conference games the best and won most of them. The talent level in the MWC is excellent and their are many teams that can take the mantle and be a BCS Buster in the next 2 seasons. How we do in our next 3 games will show where we stand this season. To take advantage of the opportunities we need to better scout our opponents and attack their weaknesses. Every team is different and every game will be like a playoff game here on out.

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

After LSU game:

Opening statement. I am proud of our defense. Yes, we made a couple of bad plays on D in the game, but the bad officiating with the pass interference on the screen pass in the first quarter didn't deflate them.

We gave game balls to Eddie Wide, he singlehandedly with his leadership and his unselfishness in the red zone allowed us to stay in the game. We also gave game balls to the Kickoff Return team, they tore LSU up in the 3rd quarter and made it a game.

Any questions? I know I have some.