Utah Statesman utahstateaggiesfootball.com

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mikedredd, Aug 1, 2011.

1. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the rivalry game this week vs Wyoming the Aggies are focused to defeat a rival for the second straight week. With conference play beginning in the WAC a few preseason honors were awarded with Utah State's own Bobby Wagner taking home preseason Defensive Player of the Year honors.[​IMG]

As for the offense there were no preseason honors but offensive coordinator Mike Dredd, a sometimes vocal critic of the defense, had this to say, "Bobby is well deserving of his honor, but to be honest I'd rather win an award like that AFTER the season." Utah State's record is 1-3 and will be looking to keep their momentum against the hated Cowboys.

2. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

[​IMG]

Welcome to the WAC SportsRadio Network today coming to you from just outside the campus of the University of Hawaii Warriors. I'm Jeff Dumass here with Utah State University Offensive Coordinator Mike Dredd,

JD: "Coach your team has a bye this week so why the trip here 10 days before your game?"

MD: "You really have to ask Jeff? We came to relax and take a load off son, we've been carrying the team the first half of the season, a little time at the beach is the least they could do. As a matter of fact I think I see the entertainment on its way (smiles at young ladies walking by)"

JD: So when you say "we" do you mean the offense has been carrying the team?

MD: Do I have to be politically correct here with you? Or can you handle the truth like a man Jeffy boy? Our defense is sub par right now for whatever reason, yet the offense has kept the team in games enough to raise our record to 4-3. We played two SEC powers in their houses to within a whisker of upsets in back to back weeks, our......AD schedules us only 5 home games this year how much do we have to overcome here Jeff? You know our Defense has been lacking or are you blind?

JD: What do you say to those who say your finger pointing is bad for the team's morale?

MD: I'd say grow up. I don't hate the guys on defense, I love those guys, but my whole philosophy rides on telling it like it is, and when something is wrong, with whatever or whoever, it's my job as a leader in this program to point it out.

JD: What of those who say it's easy to point out problems, but what USU needs is solutions?

MD: Simply put--my responsibility is to direct the offense, and offense is not the shortcoming of this football team.

JD: It just seems like you feel your offense can do know wrong?

MD: Are you crazy Dumbass--Dumass whatever your name is? Against Colorado State we were terrible. I expect more from my guys and MYSELF than any sports "journalist" could imagine. Ask AK (QB Adam Kennedy) if I think he never makes a mistake! I am on that kid constantly, pushing him to be better and not settle for what he THINKS he is but what he COULD be. I push these guys constantly drawing mighty damn close to that line of going too far, but the only reason they follow me, THE ONLY REASON is because I tell it like it is, no B.S. And they know it, you all saw when I jumped on K-Will (backup HB Kerwynn Williams) when he fumbled late in the Fresno State game, ran it on ESPN like I humiliated him, and maybe I did, but he let us down, and with the first string guy out, he was the man, I had to let him know just how much he let us down, and just how much I was counting on him. But you forget the next series deep in our end, I fed him the rock, showed my confidence in him. I caught a lot of crap for cussing him out on a nationally televised ESPN Thursday night game, but when I gave Will the gameball after the game in the locker room, it was a moment where our bond, personally, and the bond of our offense, and to some extent the whole team was cemented. I am tough but I am fair, if you sucked I'll tell ya, but if you came though I will shake your hand and say Good Job young man, and I feel these guys appreciate that.

JD: What do you envision going forward?

MD: The Warriors are a tough team with a great offense. With our running game I hope to control the clock, go on some 17 play drives for touchdowns, yeah I love those. Try to do our part in slowing down their offense, in all seriousness our defense is at times overmatched, size wise and talent wise, but that is not cutting down our guys, because they play balls out, and one thing I do know, they leave it all on the field, when I'm frustrated and hot under the collar it makes me mad, but those guys give it everything they got. I respect that. But I gotta run Dumass, hahaha...the luau is starting up, the adult beverages are chilled, the women are here and they are stretching, getting loose, and I thought I just saw Snoop Dogg with Ice Cube and Deion Sanders in that tent party over there....