UW 14 at UCLA 24

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BRUCE80, Oct 22, 2010.

1. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

The Bruins opened the game with a very nice drive, however at the one yard line our best WR decided to cough up the ball on what would have been a first and goal at the one.

Helli and UW would play solid D the rest of the first half, finally after many punts back and fourth UW put a nice drive together that ended in a nice 30 yd td run on a counter that fooled us bad as the UCLA defense was over agressive and all crashed inside and got beat to the corner.

7-0 UW.

What became a theme in this game was a UW score followed quickly by a UCLA answer.

UCLA got the kickoff and three plays later we were in the endzone with about a minute left in the first half the game was tied at 7.

UW tried to get something going right before the half but would toss a pick into traffic and UCLA got its first defensive TD of the season on the return and went to the locker room feeling very good about ourselves.

The second half opened with more very good D, both teams QBs were erratic at times and threw some rather bad passes to nobody to the delight of both coaches I am sure. The Bruins would start a drive but a dropped pass was followed by a long gainer being taken away by a holding call on the young Bruin Oline. Then late in the third qtr or maybe early 4th UW put a quick scoring drive together torching our zone blitz scheme on that drive for an easy TD pass down the middle to a wide open WR.

The game was tied up again at 14. The UCLA team went down the field on two plays we hit an out to the TE which Helli knew was coming but a great throw threaded the ball in there, then we hit an out route to the WR on the other side and caught UW being agressive and it was a walk in catch and run TD.

UCLA leads 21-14.

Both teams swapped picks and good D again. UCLA then mounted the game winning drive eating the last 3:45 of the game outside of a few ticks and kicking a FG for a ten point lead.

UCLA wins this tough defensive game 24-14.

GG Helli.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Nice win Russ!

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

UCLA played awesome defense in this game. I don't know how they do it and I'd like to know but I can't do a thing the vast majority of the game. If we get people blocked up there are our own blockers stumbling around in front of the ball carrier impeding progress. When they go to Man defense no routes get open. Of course we have an AWFUL cast of receivers and are missing our only decent one and our QBs finally played to their ratings.

Since we weren't on the mic I actually got off to a good start in this one but couldn't make anything out of stopping the Bruins like four times in a row to start the game. That fact makes this one much more painful. Normally it's a big comeback I need. This time all I needed to do was continue to play well and I couldn't do that. Plus they just played awesome D like I said.

4. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

good win Bruce. sets up a big UCLA-Stanford game in a couple of weeks.

5. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Bryan did play very good D, but so did the Bruins. What ended up being the difference in the game was that we turned a turnover into a score and UW wasnt able to do that. We took a look at the UW roster and mixed up our CB depth outside of our top two to try and match up physically and it worked. We did lose our best nickle back for a few weeks during the game but others stepped in and played well.

This was the best most defensive game I have been involved with outside of the Stanford game last year which we somehow won, I am still not sure how, Bly and his team outplayed us for much of the game.

We threw two picks and fumbled once, UW threw two picks one of whice we returned for a TD, whi h was the biggest play of the game. We mostly drop those I think every user UCLA has played has had many oh shit I shouldnt have thrown that ball only to go YES!!! when we dont make the catch on the pick.

The fumble we had took a sure three points off the board for us we would have been first and goal at the one.

Then the end of the game FG was the only other difference in the game.

We are looking forward to the Stanford UCLA game as well Dave, should be a big game! UCLA never gets the respect of the pollsters so I doubt we are even top ten for the game.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

using real names..........forum foul!

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

that's one of the downsides to my style of play. same thing almost happened against ASU. if you're a more ball control offense and don't convert those long drives into points, you can let a team hang around that maybe should have been dead to rights.

Might need to record that game and put it up in its entirety. Might end up deciding the Pac-10 champion, although we both still have a handful of human games. And I ain't winning shit until I can some how figure out how to beat fucking fosh.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

ha... I'll i do is show up, that seems to work for me. :D