UW, botched field goal Stun Purdue 42-41

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Down by a point and with a doable field goal try, Purdue's kicker almost whiffed completely as the ball fluttered harmlessly to the turf just past the line of scrimmage and the UW Huskies won a game that can only be described as "insane."

Purdue was up 14-0 before many of the patrons at Husky stadium even settled into their seats today. Purdue's tandem of Rod Riley and Eric Crooks hooked up for scoring passes of 72 yards and 33 yards, sandwiched around an interception by Washington's Greg Baker, a so-called "Heisman candidate."

"God forbid we come and play good football right out of the starting blocks," said Coach Hellisan. "What the fuck is wrong with my team early in the game?!"

Washington fought back and lucky plays contributed to the Huskies tying the game at 14-14. After a good drive, Baker found fullback Carl Butler in the flat. Butler and his 61 hands were the bailout read on the play and it appeared the pressure was going to come bigtime as Purdue was blitzing early and often. Butler not only caught the pass (luck) but shook off two tackles to get in (even more luck). Purdue then got the ball back, completed a drag route over the middle, and middle linebacker Ron Flynn dragged him down from behind and poked the ball loose. Lance McDougal picked up the fumble and scored (14-14).

'Purdue went right back to work.' 79-yard pass from Riley to WR Joshua Cohen on a smash route. This will be the phrase used to describe anytime Purdue tortured the young Husky secondary with an in, out, or smash route from the slot. (21-14) Slot guy Cohen lit us up to the tune of 5 catches for 233 yards and 2 touchdowns, including a long of 85 later in the game.

Washington plugged along and came up with some big third down conversions to tie the game again on a 6-yard rush by Anthony Daniel (21-21).

Purdue's next drive came up short as they threw one up for grabs in the end zone and the Huskies batted it down. This came after a play in which they fumbled the ball but recovered it this time. They settled for a field goal (24-21).

Greg Baker threw another interception and Purdue went right back to work... Then toppoed it off with a 1-yard run by Rodney Riley that was luckier than our play by Butler earlier. Riley was corraled by our defense, decided to take off despite not having enough speed... Slipped a tackle by one of our best players on D, then absorbed a punishing shot at the goal line and barely broke the plane (31-21)

Washington got the ball to start the second half and we knew we needed a score. Halfback Anthony Daniel broke away fro a 61-yard rush to bring the Huskies back to within a field goal (31-28).

Three minutes later, the Huskies made a goal line stand which gave them a shot later on.... Purdue had the ball inside the red zone and tried a fade route to one of the WR's, but a Husky leapt up and almost picked it off, but it fell harmlessly to the turf and the Boilermakers settled for a FG (34-28).

The Huskies tried but couldn't get anything going. Purdue went right back to work (41-28).

Going into the fourth quarter... The Huskies were forced to punt due to a huge sack and good coverage by the Boilers. The Huskies then made a stop of their own as left defensivef end Jesse Holly picked a great time (third down) to get a sack, and Purdue was outside of its meager field goal range.

The Huskies had a horrible delay of game penalty on their next drive but Baker found WR JR Arnold for a nice completion against cover 2 zone... Then the next play hit Arnold on a deep fade to the end zone for a touchdown (41-35).

Purdue got the ball and the Huskies changed their defensive strategy up completely, hoping to upset their timing a little. It seemed to work as they threw to a guy who wasn't wide open and Lance McDougal batted the ball away.

Baker and the offense got going with a screen pass to Anthony Daniel that picked up good yardage and crossed midfield. After a bad read and throw that was almost picked off, the Huskies got Josh Cook in a man-on-man situation and he came up with a huge catch. That allowed Daniel to score his third TD of the game from three yards out, giving UW the lead. (42-41)

The Huskies made a bad decision, going man defense to start off the drive.. And you guessed it.. Purdue went right back to fucking work and were at midfield. They tried to go back to work AGAIN which would have given Cohen 300 yards... But his foot was out of bounds on a long bomb. Purdue instead ran a great play over the middle of the field and picked up a big gain to get within field goal range. It was here that the mind games began a little bit. The Huskies were literally blitzing everybody around the 24 yard line and they figured if the Boilers scored quickly they would get the ball back. Purdue decided to play it safe, running it, and losing yards.

Purdue lined up for a 42-yard field goal with a 78 KPW kicker. All hell broke loose and the Huskies got the win.

---------------------

First off.. Rod... Sorry for not being on time. There is no excuse for that. I just screwed up, all day I was thinking "wow big showdown at 9 CANT WAIT" and no it was at 6.

Also not sure what happened there, I watched the replay and it appeared like the meter bounced around a little while the kicker was trying to kick it. Never have seen that before. I will say that one time I lost a game because the game failed to accept a timeout from me as the clock expired. I was pretty pizzed. I know how you feel.

After the 14-0 lead I was bummed but not angry... It was just stuff where the D played horrible football.... Nothing I could have done. Stuff like that happened to Stanford the other day when we started a game and it seemed like anything I threw up there was going for huge plays.

It was very big for me to manually knockdown the two jetpack/"fade" plays. You have raped me with those in the past. I was ready... This time.

You were killing us with the manual defensive linebacker control. That first INT was just a great play I did not expect you to be there at all. Later on you had another one that should have been a pick. Each team had a few but you were giving me problems with that. In the past I hated trying to stop your offense but never minded going against your D, this year much different. This time I just hated the whole fucking thing. Until that thing of beauty at the end.

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Hey you havent lost your RB yet this season. Nice win, HR's struggle continues... Early losses can be come back from however. I expect Rod to make a full comeback this season.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I know, I'm stunned.

And when our Qb went down late in the game I thought "well there goes the season" and he only missed one play.

IMO Hotrod is back we had a helluva lot of luck and played well just to be close at the end then got another lucky break... What are you gonna do.

This guy (Daniel) isn't as GOOD but he's faster than the old guy. As you and I both know the ratings are kind of a guide and not exact and this guy is DEFINITELY faster despite having identical speed and inferior acceleration "on paper" he plays faster. I'd still trade him for the old guy healthy lol.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I was watching. I felt HR could deal Washington a big blow by going up 21-0 but that didn't happen.

Secondly, after HR scored I thought he shoulda went for two to get the 14 point lead but he kicked the XP.

Then th FG try...I just haven't been comfortable at that spot settling there. Its not like purdue had trouble moving the ball. Its like purdue was passing well all game then ran to be safe. Then the meter...I'm like looking as I see it and I'm like he's going to shank...omg HE'S SHANKING THIS KICK...and I see the ball flutter maybe 35 yards away. That was an OMG moment. And I could hear helli go OHMYGAWD....yessssssss on the other end as hotrod stands in silence.

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

35 yards? The ball went like 3 yards...lol

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

7. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Six straight user losses for HR. SMH

8. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I don't even know what to say anymore. That kick (if you want to call it that) still has me steaming. There was no doubt in my mind I would have made that kick. I've probably missed no more than 3 kicks in this years game over the course of 3 dynasties and 15+ seasons. My kicker had already made a 45 yarder with wind in his face earlier in the game. I'm better than losing 5-6 user games in a row and I'm just worn out from this shit at this point. The meter had a hiccup right after the 3/4 point, then wouldn't register the stop of the meter. Needless to say I was heated, pissed, infuriated, insert any synonym for mad here. I've never been this upset about a loss ever.

Playing without my #1 QB and #1 and #3 CB, and for most of the game without my starting FS I thought we played well. On offense a lot of those big plays weren't even the #1 option on the play. I planned on attacking your safeties because they were still pretty green but honestly I wanted to work with my outside WRs first and foremost. I got Crooks involved early with the two TDs. Cohen started to get open often. I threw everything the playbook had to offer, streaks, ins, outs, drags, slants, posts, corners, whatever that "C" shaped route is called, curls. I didn't use the same play much at all that game. A lot of the plays have similar mode of attack but still different at the same time.

Now yes I felt that maybe I should've went for two after the last TD, but sometimes they say only go for 2 when it's absolutely necessary. I was up two scores and there was no scenario in my mind at the time of the TD that I would relinquish the lead. Also at the end the reason I dialed it back is because funky stuff happens when you least expect it. You never know when you will get sacked, a ball gets tipped. I wanted to prevent that from happening. I wanted to stay in my FG range and come out ith the win. At the end of the day, the FG shenanigans screwed me and I'm sitting here still frustrated and left with no clue what I want to do anymore. I don't even want to turn on my Xbox now.

GG Helli, besides the last 7 seconds of the game I enjoyed it. Now I will go back into hiding as it took a lot of energy to even write this up without throwing something at work.

9. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. BRUCE80

Hellisan = [​IMG]

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Point 1... Nobody ever cares if I'm pissed. I do "care" that you're pissed but it comes with the territory. We all know that the "streak" of losses is solely to do with the spread option offense and nothing else, and that this was pretty much a fluke.

The Crooks catches early in the game were just great ball placement, a little lackadaisical defense, and voila.... Everything Cohen specifically caught was one of those three routes and we just could not cover him. I mean he only had 5 catches. He would have had 6 if that other smash route stayed in bounds. He is better than the #2 WR, it is a blessing that his OVR is 1 pt. lower although I have no doubt that other guy would have killed us from the slot too. Our DB's just played like the freshmen they are....

Yeah... nah I don't remember any "2 pt conversion" scenario that you had. I remember some horrible playcalling by our team when I went to the run one too many times when we had to have points, but otherwise I thought both teams did a good job of playcalling.

Anyway UW is gifted with making losses painful for teams. That is the only thing we're good for. Championships... not really.. Painful losses? Yep.

12. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

[​IMG]

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG] GIFSoup

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

• Like Like x 1
  15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Washington is the only other User in Tradition to win a Championship.....WE HATE YOU!

16. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    See I dint think my string of losses solely on the offense change. We gave Rutgers everything we had over the course if 10 quarters due to restarts. Two fumbles that were something I have no control over did us in. The loss to Pitt, same deal we were in position to win but fumbles killed us, nautica would cosign. Sure the offense change made winning a little more difficult but I still had opportunities to win.

Also I don't care if any of you care I'd I'm pissed. I gave my 2 cents of the game and how I felt. I think anyone in my position would feel the same. I was giving an account of how I felt after the game. Not looking for a pity party.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Well sometimes I am looking for a pity party bro. I would appreciate it if you would oblige me the next time... lol

PS in the first half there were a couple times (after like 2-3 sacks in about 4 plays) where I dropped back too far and I'm pretty sure I fixed it in the second half but just FYI I noticed.

18. BRUCE80

[​IMG]