UW completes miracle comeback against Bruins, 35-34

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

UW completes miracle comeback against Bruins, 35-34

The UW Huskies can thank their lucky stars they were even in a position to come back agaisnt UCLA late in the game as they caught a few extremely fortuitous breaks along the way.

"We were thoroughly outplayed in this one," said Hellisan. "They took the ball to start the game, they scored, stopped us, and kept on pressing. We got some lucky breaks. Our plan was to just pound what looked like a weak front 7 but that was out the window literally 5 minutes into the contest."

UCLA got out to a 7-0 lead and it looked like UW would answer... but Nick Montana showed his youth in making a horrible read right a the goal line and it resulted in a 98-yard INT return and a 14-0 UCLA lead. The Huskies then had to punt on their next possession, and UCLA had a 17-0 lead on a field goal.

With 2:00 to go in the first half the Huskies scored a touchdown on a 6-yard run by C. Polk, but left too much time on the clock as UCLA scored again on a 10-yard pass from Prince to Harkey. The problem wasn't that they were scoring. the problem was that ever read, every play, looked so effortless. We were at their mercy. I told Rusty "there's no way I will even get a single win against you this year." (and meant it - we were playing that bad and they were as good as we were bad)

Huskies took the ball first in the second half and scored on a 40-yard pass from Montana to K. Middleton. Next came the most demoralizing drive of the game from our perspective. With UCLA on our 20 we dialed up a blitz that got there. But the backup QB, in for an injured Prince (11 weeks - injured) sidestepped the would-be tackler and hit a wide-open receiver over the middle for another touchdown to pull the lead back to 31-14.

We dialed up our only play action pass of the game and nobody bothered to cover Middleton, who scored his second touchdown in a row on a 75-yard bomb from Montana, getting us to within 10 points at 31-21. I thought it was Rusty at first (biting on the fake) but he claimed otherwise.

In the second half UCLA's defense started making a lot of mistakes. That was the first obvious one. Yet they were still in position several times to get a hand on the football while batting it down (at least 3 times). Luckily, none of them were ever pulled in for what would have been a game deciding INT.

We held the Bruins to a FG on their next possession (34-21) and then drove down again, scoring on an 8-yard run by Polk with 3:33 to go (34-28).

We got what I think was our only legitimate stop of the game on the next series, as on 2nd and 1 the Bruins had a nice hole up the middle but took it wide and got hung up on the blocker, getting dragged down for a 3rd and inches. On third down we just sent the house up the middle and linebacker Kurt Mangum stopped the runner cold on a brutal hit, forcing a punt. With 2:00 to go and all three timeouts we tried to get creative, using a mix of passes, draws, and up the middle runs to move downfield. Last thing we wanted to do was score quickly and give it back. On a 3rd and 8 Montana and backup TE Chris Izbicki made the play of the game, completing a spinning, leaping grab to the 3 yard line with about 30 seconds left. It took us three plays but we got it in for the game winning score with 0:05 on the clock, kicking the XP to put us up 35-34.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Bruce-fail.

It doesn't help that he lost his QB who has had a great year.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

well how did you all of a sudden stop him the whole 2nd half?

Nice comeback! Typical Helli win...

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]

5. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
  6. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

you guys have got to have like the graphics just waiting on ur computer.. the funny stuff i see in the premier league threads is amazing

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

So true... lmao. I wonder what Jr Rawlins bookmarks look like.

[​IMG]

JMS: We never really stopped them, we made some skin-of-our-teeth type plays, just sort of slowed them down just enough. It wasn't very damn pretty.

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Just a miserable experience, one we wont forget.

On we go to USC.

9. jfosh

jfosh Super

Helli, helli, helli, never out of anything