Video Game Review Sites

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by BlyGilmore, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Apr 9, 2009
    Video Game Review Sites

I'm toying with starting a bit of a project for OS and wanted to get imput from you folks.

Basically i'm looking to create a system to rival Metacritics for sports video games. MC has two big flaws in my mind ... 1) you could hide out from the law on some of the sites they include in their ratings 2) the PS3 ratings are different from 360 ratings because they don't double count reviews for multiplatform games.

The idea is to pick a certain number of market leading web sites, and then create almost a "power ranking" based on a sites traffic, market share and the power of their opinion.

So with that said ...

1 - What sites to you go to for sports video game reviews (not counting OS)?

2 - How reputable to do you find those sites for video game reviews (say on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being very reputable and 1 being not reputable).
  2. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Jun 9, 2009
    I really just go to IGN, Gamespot, or Gamefaqs.

As for the above, I find them all to be 3's. I'm of the opinion that most gaming websites have SO many games on their plates and not enough people to review them all that it's impossible for them to have any real opinion on the game besides the general first 3-5 hour impression of the game.

Truthfully though, I usually don't even let those reviews sway me one side or another. Reviews are the my least worries when it comes to games. I usually only use them for a general consensus of what the game is about, the type of gameplay it has, and things of that nature.

Now-a-days, all game reviews focus way to much on cliches inside the genre (like, god forbid a FPS not have a multiplayer aspect or a RPG not be 3d, completely voice acted, and have some incredibly inane and complicated combat, magic, and/or level up system).

I normally go to sites like the two above, see what things people are complaining about in the user reviews and then go from there.

I'll be the first to admit though that I apparently have gaming ADHD now. I rarely stick with a game long besides football now-a-days...
  3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2009
    in order.

1. IGN
    2. Game Informer
    3. Game Trailers
  4. Maynard

Maynard Banned

Jun 10, 2009
    only sites i use are

for sports games i rate all 3 of them (on a 1 to 5 scale) 3