Virginia Cavaliers 2010 Preview

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JrRawlins, Aug 18, 2009.

1. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Virginia Cavaliers 2010 Preview

[​IMG]

2010 PREVIEW

The Virginia Cavaliers come into the 2010 season, led by their QB Marc Verica who broke the school passing record last season. Verica gained alot of experience last season and led the team to an 11-3 record. Coach Rawlins will put even more responsible on Verica as Virginia plans to spread the offense even more than last season. Verica's primary backup will be Sophomore Riko Smalls, who should fill the Option QB spot vacated by Jerald Sowell who graduated. Starting at tailback for the Cavaliers this season will be Torrey Mack, a junior HB who saw a fair amount of carries last season as the backup to Mikell Simpson. The offensive line remains intact from last season and hope the continuity will improve the play of the line. At WR, Kris Burd returns after snatching 50 passes last season and newcomers Jonas Smith and Ken Hamby figure to play a role in the passing attack. Colter Philips and Joe Torchia will battle for the starting tight end role....

Defensively, the defensive line returns intact with DT John Dolce sliding over to the RDE position. At the linebacker there will be drastic changes as the only returning starting is Junior LOLB Cam Johnson. Freshman Lawrence Morris is penciled into the ROLB position, but the inside linebackers spots are currently up for grabs. Jared Detrick, is slated to start at one of the linebacker spots but the other position will be determined in camp. The secondary is headlined by All-American corner Ras I Dowling and Strong Safety Corey Lilliard... Freshman Luke Nelson will start at free safety and the other corner spot is still up for grabs between Senior CB Mike Parker and Freshman CB Pete Bowers.

Offensive Players to Watch​

1. Marc Verica -- It all starts and ends with him. If Verica is on the top of his game, Virginia could challenge for a conference title shot, if not it could be a long season in Charlottlesville.

2. Jonas Smith  With Smith slated to start, if he can consistently catch the ball, he could take the Cavaliers offense to a different level.

3. Colter Philips  With his size and speed (6′6 240 lbs), he is slated to start over Torchia and will be a valuable piece of the Cavaliers offense for the next several seasons.

Defensive Players to watch next season​

1. Matt Conrath -- This DE has to provide some pressure on the QB this season, last season was a disappointment finishing with only 4 sacks.

2. Luke Nelson  Nelson steps in highly recruited and has some huge shoes to fill with the departure of senior FS Chris Cook.

3. Lawrence Morris  Morris is should slide right into a OLB position and could/should start at OLB as a freshman. With his size and speed, he will be asked to apply pressure from the edge as well as provide adequate coverage in the secondary.

http://traditionfootball.com/tcfl/?p=679

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Nice stuff here JR, fun to read. Good luck this year (except when playing me; then you won't even need luck)!

3. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

thanks basis.... but i see the talent you got stockpiled down their in Tallahassee and it makes me a bit nervous.....

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

We'll be okay talent-wise. Look for EJ to start over Ponder this year. Our offense should be pretty damn solid. Defensively, we'll see. If we don't have to outscore our opponents 50-49 every game, I think we'll be okay.