Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech game summary

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by EaglesIrish5, May 3, 2009.

1. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech game summary

[​IMG]

Atlanta, GA- The Virginia Tech Hokies ran their record to 2-0 after a hard fought victory over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

"Georgia Tech played us tight but in the end we were better," Hokies head coach Frank Beamer said.

On offense Virginia Tech was lead by star quarterback Tyrod Taylor. Taylor finished the game 12-14 for 264 yards and 3 tochdowns. "I was in the zone today, I felt like every pass I threw was right where it needed to be," Taylor said.

Senior wide receiver Jarrett Boykins got the scoring started in the first quarter when he hauled in his only catch of the day and ran 47 yards to pay dirt."I go hard on every play, this time Tyrod hit me in stride and nobody was catching me," Boykins said

The "Thunder and Lightning" backfield of the Hokies ran through gaping holes created by the Hokie offensive line. Junior Nick Adams finished the day with 64 yards on 17 carries and 2 scores. "My boys up front were great today," Adams said.

Adams backfield mate Darren Evans added 55 yards on 12 carries and a score. Evans also contributed to the offense with long touchdown reception.

Freshman sensation Elliot Walker continued the great start to his Hokie career by catching 4 balls for 129 yards and a touchdown. "We have a great quarterback he makes things easy for me, every pass he throws is right on the money," Walker said.

The Hokies defense gave up 42 points in the effort but when they needed a stop they got it. Senior defensive back Stephan Virgil intercepted a pass and return it to the Yellow Jacket 3 yard line late in the second half. "The ball was in the air and I just wanted to make a play on it,26 yards later it was our ball on the three yard line," Virgil said.

Standout defensive end Jason Worilds added to the cause with 4 tackles, 3 for loss and 2 sacks. Senior Matt Reidy lead the team with 9 tackles.

"We won and thats fine, but we have to get better at stopping the run," Beamer said.

HOKIE NATION