Volunteers Run to Opening Weekend Victory

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by joshwitt, Jul 18, 2011.

1. joshwitt

joshwitt Walk On

AP (Knoxville) The Tennessee Volunteers ran their way to an opening weekend victory over Cincinnati, 31-10. Sophomore RB Rajion Neal and Junior RB Tauren Poole combined to run for over 200 yards in the effort. Neal ran for over 130 yards, while Poole topped 100.

The Bearcats jumped out to a 3-0 lead after Tennessee's defense held them to a field goal in the red zone. The Vols answered with a long drive capped by a Poole TD run. It was more of the same for most of the game as the Vols were happy to grind out the win on the ground. Tennessee's defense also accounted for 2 interceptions.

Sophomore quarterback Tyler Bray threw for 149 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception, including a 71 yard bomb to fellow sophomore Justin Hunter who broke free down the sideline.

Coach Josh Witt had this to say about his team's performance "Well, it was a win. I felt like Cincy racked up way too many yards on our defense, but I was pleased with our ability to create turnovers. Poole and Neal ran real hard, and we're real proud of that." He was then asked about his conservative use of his sophomore quarterack and responded "We knew there would be quite a pass rush this weekend, so we wanted to protect him. This is his first full year as a starter, so we are still getting used to his abilities. He's certainly got the arm, but as you could see from his bone-head interception, he still make some poor decisions. Maybe if he had watched more film and played less Xbox over the off-season, he'd be able to read a defense better."

The Volunteers are looking at a major matchup with Stanford in Knoxville next weekend. The Cardinal will bring Andrew Luck into Neyland looking to expose UT's secondary. Coach Witt commented "I despise bhenry37 and the success he had at LSU. No further comment."

Sparks, and passes, should fly!

-- END OF TRANSMISSION --