VT stepping out

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Sep 18, 2010.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

VT stepping out

I think its time for me to step out of the league. I have absolutely no personal issues with anyone and am and have simply lost interest...probably based on a number of things that aren't worth brining up at this point. But I can't change the desire that isn't there and feel like I'm (and already have been) bringing the league down with my indecision. For that I apologize. I def had a blast while it lasted and hope the league carries on with some fun.

Eat my balls
    Heath

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

VT, in my relatively brief time here, it seems as though we have continually made changes (that were supposed) to appeal to the majority, as well as prevent losing important members. However, it doesn't seem to be working. Bruce left because we made moves to speed things up, and now you're leaving (at least) partly due to the effort to slow things down.

If people continually disperse without communicating the reasons, then it's really difficult to make the proper moves to prevent similar occurrences in the future. Two weeks ago you were amped about the league and now you're disinterested? What happened?

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

ego, there is no way to do this without seeming like an accuser. and i honestly have no accusations. i think arch is a hell of a guy and has done a hell of a job. to try and name at least one truth though:

im not sure i didnt just tire of the game a bit. we all blew our load early with excitement and then some things happened, things changed, and that core excitement was gone. and mine is. that is just what it is. i dont think anyone did anything wrong. i think, rather, my excitement level is a product of a number of things that add up to one big "yea, i dont feel like putting in the game right now."

also... it is video game football.

4. egofailure

But I think if the core guys here (you obviously included) opened up the dialogue (behind closed doors if needed), the proper league parameters could be put in place, and we could re-capture the excitement. Shit, the college football season just started! I think we have to work together, make the hard decisions, and just stick with it no matter what. All the re-sets, do-overs, and team changes have taken the wind from our sails. Even when we decided to go with the harder sliders, we went soft again in no time.

I don't know, I think walking away is the easy thing to do. I got frustrated last night after realizing that all my work with TTU was for nothing. But what does quitting prove? Stick it out, share your thoughts, and let's make it work. It's the people that make this thing fun as much as anything else.

5. egofailure

If you read the board, it's crazy how the direction has changed. It's like a complete 180.

We went from playing every 48 hours because more seasons = more fun = less stress = prevents players from being bored to slower pace = less stress = more fun = prevents players from leaving.

Then, in an effort to make things more sim, we came up with challenging sliders, only to have players bitch and moan after (God forbid!) losing a game. The CPU (for once!) wasn't a gimme, and some of us couldn't handle it. So, then, the sliders were made easier.

Unfortunately, now he have to plan a ton of user games per year because (surprise!) users aren't losing to the CPU anymore. And who wants to play in a league where everyone's undefeated? As a result, we've lost the flexibility to be whatever program we wanted, which was a great part of this league initially.

Anyway, my main point is this ...

You're always going to have the casual players who come and go at the drop of a hat. "It's too hard", so they quit. They lose a game, so they quit. I just hate to see us change the league to placate these players, which in turn chases away the core, veteran guys (like you, VT).

This is in no way a bitch fest. I just want to throw all this out there so we can have a discussion. I feel as though this is a pivotal moment for the league. If having this conversation keeps a vet' and good guy like VIT around, then it's worth having. Others, of course, can chime in also. What's going on with everyone?

6. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I agree with Hokie, I think I am going to stick it out but I know for a fact that three user games in a season are going to be damn near impossible for me. I work 50 hours a week and have a 1 month old who is quickly becoming more and more awake. So I will try it, if it works for me great. That being said....

I don't care about sliders...
    I don't bitch about losing...
    I have gotten my ass kicked...
    I have won big...
    It is fake football, I just like playing in a season with other dudes. I will do it here or somewhere else.

7. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I think there is a lot of truth to this and it isn't anything to be ashamed of or upset over. That is the reason so many leagues start off and then five months later a good portion are no more. It is hard to get a league and keep it going for 12 months before starting again when the next version of the game is out. To do that I really think there needs to be a strong community among the core players in the league. Without things like active posting both ingame and out of game on the forums and exciting user vs user games during the season it is difficult to keep that level of community. Archie is moving the league in the right direction and I'm confident we will get a some great players to step in and keep us moving forward.

8. egofailure

I'm kind of new to this whole world, so I wasn't aware that turn-over ends up being such an issue. I'm still excited to be here, Carol's the same, and Mull', Goose, and Luchini are very active also. With new guys like yourself joining up, perhaps the pieces are here.

One of the reasons we didn't do a re-start was because VT was against it (and I don't blame him). But with him leaving and now so many players starting with new teams (me, you, and several new guys), I wonder if it's best just to start from scratch so that we can put together some sort of '10 recruiting class. It's still very early in the college football season.

We could set it up, get it right, and kick it off. Just a thought.

Edit: Luchini/BYU would also get a do-over and independ. status.