Walter Payton in the Wildcat

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Shaun Mason, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Walter Payton in the Wildcat

[youtube]eSdMqnmj5T8[/youtube]

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah, I remember seeing this awhile ago. Never understood why people credited the Dolphins with the invention of this, even all the "experts" gave the Dolphins credit. That had to be a helpless feeling for the defense.

3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The Bears of 84 had QB issues, injuries and such, they had 6 players play QB. Walter Payton isn't listed but he did play at least 1 game at QB that year.

http://www.bearshistory.com/lore/chicagobearsquarterbacks.aspx

Also taken from:

http://www.bearshistory.com/seasons/1984chicagobears.aspx

Six-year veteran QB Steve Fuller had been acquired from the Los Angeles Rams prior to the '84 season for insurance in case McMahon was injured. The investment paid off. Fuller guided the Bears to a 2-1 record over the next 3 games. In the third at Minnesota's new HHH Metrodome on November 25th, the team clinched its first NFC Central Division title. After the Minnesota game, Fuller was injured, and Chicago was faced with its most interesting quarterback problem ever. Ineffective Rusty Lisch replaced the injured fuller and lost the December 3rd game at San Diego, then started the following week against Green Bay at home. Lisch was again ineffective, so Ditka inserted none other than Walter Payton behind center in the shotgun formation. Not for lack of effort, but Payton was ineffective as well, and the Bears lost to the Packers 20-14.

4. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

i don't think anybody said the dolphins invented it. it was something a few college teams had been using and certainly wasn't a new concept. and its called the Wildcat because the first modern team to use it in college was the Kansas State Wildcats. Arkansas also used it a lot before the Dolphins.

The dolphins were just the first NFL team of this era to use it regularly as part of their game plan (starting with that game against the Pats), and for that reason they're the team everybody else has copied.

here's a good read ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_offense

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The Dolphins were given credit for the advancement of the Wildcat in the NFL. If Walter Payton hadn't struggled in the game he was used as QB then we probably would have seen more teams use it back then.

6. scarface

scarface Walk On

BEST POST EVER !!!!!

GO BEARS !!!

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

That was a great read actually, the Wiki has surprised me with useful info:p. I was referring more to the recent phenomenon about the "invention" part... I remember ESPN doing some report on it doing breakdowns and what not. I think it may even had Saprano(sp.) in it as well.