Was Heisman Challenge a good addition?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by majesty95, Jun 14, 2012.

Would you have preferred EA to spend more time on Dynasty, RTG and gameplay as opposed to Heisman?

1. Yes, Heisman is not that important to me.

2. No, I think Heisman mode is great.

0 vote(s)
  3. I'm indifferent, I like it all.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Jun 5, 2012
    There is a poll going on EA's Facebook page that asks what mode people will spend the most time playing. Road to Glory is winning in a landslide while Offline Dynasty is a strong 2nd. Online Dynasty is also a clear #3. Heisman Challenge is next to last (just ahead of online H2H) with about 3% of the vote.

My question is this: Wouldn't EA have been better served dedicating the resources they committed to Heisman mode to Dynasty mode, Road to Glory and improving gameplay even further?

The reason I ask is that I think EA is always dreaming up new "selling points" like Mascot challenge and Heisman mode thinking that is what will increase sales when all most of us want is super tight gameplay, an ultrarealistic and deep dynasty mode and a well thought and and bug free Road to Glory mode...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

May 9, 2012
    I personally think it's a huge waste of time and effort that could have gone into improving proven game modes like Dynasty and Road To Glory to go along with the other improvements they made this year. Now I probably will end up playing with Herschel Walker and Desmond Howard a time or two but that's it.
  3. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Jan 20, 2010
    While I voted yes, I also believe RTG to be a giant waste of time and effort and wish that time could have been invested in the Dynasty modes or other gameplay.
  4. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Nov 11, 2009
    I like the concept of it, but the implementation could have been a lot better. They would have to spend more work on the mode though to make it better, which I would rather they spend that time on fixing stuff that is still broken, hasnt worked in awhile, or one or more of the dozens of suggestions we are now seeing on the Game Changers site.

With that said... To make it better, it needs to feel authentic. It needs to look and sound like a game would look during the era in which the games are in. Meaning video and graphics should look like they did in the 80's and 90's. Same with the sound.

But really though... its basically a glorified RTG mode (which no one plays anyhow).
  5. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Mar 23, 2011
    A agree with PA, I think the implementation is poor. To me it seems like Road to Glory with the ability to slow time down and watch a video or two of a great college football player. It might be fun AND it is the last thing I will be using in NCAA 13. Instead they should have refined RTG (if they havent already...I think there is supposed to be an update on this today) or worked on something else that fans have asked for: More crowed volume, more cheers, a better pass rush or run block scheme. Basically: If I want to be Tim Tebow, I could have created him myself and watched youtube clips to get a highlight fix.
  6. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Jun 5, 2012
    I thought RTG was a waste too until the podcast where they said 60% of users were deep into the mode and the poll that shows its the most used game mode. I don't use it much but apparently others do. Hopefully next year they'll focus on what the people actually use...
  7. Jordan Kleinedler

Jordan Kleinedler Walk On

May 23, 2012
    I would of absolutely loved to see all that time they spent on Heisman mode, all go towards RTG and Dynasty. I personally play little RTG, and am very happy to see they have added the more in depth scouting. Makes it feel even more real, but more can be done to give us fans the ultimate dynasty experience.
  8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Feb 10, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    Heisman mode is basically an extension/copy of RTG mode with some specific personal flare. While I think the concept is neat, I don't really care for it. I don't think it necessarily took a whole lot of development time to build the mode considering how similar it is to RTG.

Just putting that out there.
  9. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Jun 7, 2012
    I voted yes, but not because Heisman mode is bad or anything. To me, this looks more like a marketing tool than a legit mode. Think about it: How much further can this mode go? They can't really add the same heisman winners next year, and how many new ones will be asked for besides Cam Newton and Charles Woodson? I'd assume not too many younger or casual players really care for older guys like Jim Plunkett in the first place.

Not only that, but it seems uninspired in the first place. It's a decent concept but there's nothing "new" or "exciting" really about it. It's basically a carbon copy of RTG without the HS season and other in-season factors. And it's only one year, in which if you win the Heisman you unlock that player for RTG. Which, that wouldn't be much of a challenge to do anyway because the game calls plays depending on your position. Playing as RG3 in the demo, the CPU called all pass plays outside of literally 2 runs.

It just seems like a throw in to go with their marketing theme or plan this year. There's really no way this mode could survive past 2 years at the most. It's a decent concept, like I said, but it seems uninspired. And I think a big misstep is allowing you to put the legend on current teams. Why not attempt to just have classic teams the Heisman winners were on?
  10. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Apr 17, 2010
    It's not a bad idea but I will spend little to no time playing it. I guess it might be cool for people to use a Heisman winner from their school or a favorite player from back in the day. I will say I enjoyed the mini-games they had a lot more than RTG. Not that I want them to spend a bunch of time making mini-games, but I would definitely play some if they designed them to improve certain aspects of your stick skills and game-planning.
  11. Kasper

Kasper Mr. Embolo

Apr 12, 2010
    I wish they brought back the summer drills from 06 (I think?) Was fun doing pass skeleton and Oklahoma
  12. TN_Mike

TN_Mike Walk On

Jun 23, 2011
    That would be cool. What ever happened to the mini games we use to have like bowling? They weren't the greatest but they were fun. I never understood why the mini games from Madden never made it to the NCAA series. Not sure if they are still in Madden or not, haven't played that game in a few years, but they use to have a QB skill game, RB/LB game, WR/DB game among a few others.

The games would be good to play whenever the new years game comes out each season. They would be a good way to hone your skills on the new edition while we wait for rosters to be done.

I'm not sure who's idea all this Heismen stuff is but it seems like pure marketing to me.
  13. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Walk On

Jun 29, 2011
    classic teams and players would be nice. But all this Heisman thing is, is a short handed "Road to Glory" mode. Neither mode has anything to offer.
    Playing Jim Plunkett in modern equipment makes no sense. And who gives a dang about Lienhart LOL ?
  14. Erik the Red

Erik the Red Walk On

Jul 2, 2011
    It's silly that they have multiple players from each school, sort of makes those outside of USC a bit un-interested. they should have had only one from a certain school. Tell me how many people in the midwest would rather run the option with Eric Crouch instead of be forced to choose between lienhardt and palmer who are pretty much the same style quarterback? cool idea (that I really don't see me using much) that was again done somewhat lazy like. Another great idea with little thought.
  15. N51_Rob

N51_Rob Walk On

Jan 30, 2011
    I think the facebook poll shows the biggest flaw with this mode and NCAA/EA's "base". While the average age of gamers here is probably late 20s to mid 30's and most like Dynasty online and off I would presume. The facebook crowd is who modes like Heisman challenge is created for. Those are a younger generation of gamers. I would venture to say 15-21 years old. High School and college kids that don't have a lot to do outside of school. How many people in that demographic know about Jim Plunkett, Archie Griffin, Andre Ware? You could make the argument that Charlie Ward is more famous for being a Knick that for winning a Heisman and NC with FSU.

So while that group may know RGIII and Tebow, the fact that guys like Troy Smith, Charles Woodson, Sam Bradford are not there leave the "younger generation" left to play with guys they may have never heard of, seen play or know anything about.

I'll use my self as an example. I know of Plunkett and Griffin I know Archie won it twice in 74 and 75 I even know he went to OSU, but I don't know about his career post college, just like I had no idea Plunkett when to Stanford, prior to all the pub Andrew Luck got the last two season and I will be 31 in July. The mode features too many obscure players and not enough contemporaries for many younger NCAA gamers to get fired up about IMO. I don't see how this mode can or will be a success. It will probably become marginalized once roster are out and dynasties get started and for that reason I would've liked to have seen those resources better used elsewhere in the game. Take the time and effort used there and overhaul the OL/DL play for example.