Washington beats Rutgers in a nail biter with a last second field goal, 30-27

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Washington Huskies coach Hellisan felt he had a slight talent advantage going into this game. The teams were similar in some ways but along the lines he felt there was a clear talent edge with the Huskies. The team played well and were physically dominant at times, but the Huskies made some key mistakes that kept this game close right down to the wire.

The Huskies started off the scoring with a field goal after they couldn't convert a 3rd and inches against the Rutgers overmatched defensive line. "They have 9 guys in the box almost anytime you could consider running," said a frustrated Coach Hellisan after the game. "Clearly it was their goal to stop the run today and they repeatedly did that in the important situations. Of course.. we stopped the run too."

The final tally on the ground was 26 carries for 80 yards for the Huskies, and an ugly 15 carries for 6 yards for Scarlet Knights, with 3 sacks factored in.

After the first field goal the Husky defense did its job and stopped Rutgers for a second time. Then the offense found its footing and scored on a 3rd down play where the Huskies ran a classic play action to the fullback in the flat for a 10-0 lead.

Rutgers responded with a drive resulting in a 51-yard field goal for a 10-3 Husky lead.

The Huskies had a mental fart on the next drive as they scored a touchdown to take a 17-3 lead, however called a timeout a couple of plays before the touchdown which gave Rutgers some extra time on the clock. "I wanted to get Kelly (Haynes) some time because he is our goal line guy, but I probably should have waited until the clock wound down a bit more," admitted Hellisan.

What resulted was a hurried drive and a 15-yard touchdown reception by all-everything TE Travis Spencer which made it 17-10 heading into the break.

The Huskies took the second half kickoff and promptly were forced to punt, then later in the quarter missed a field goal and threw an interception as the offense went into hibernation. Rutgers pulled within a score of the lead with a 35-yard field goal. This set up a frantic fourth quarter which saw four lead changes culminating in the final field goal.

Rutgers put together a drive coming out of the third quarter that resulted in a 4-yard score, making it 20-17 in the Scarlet Knights' favor.

The Huskies regained the lead 24-20 with a 5-yard touchdown by Haynes, his second of the game. Haynes had some tough yards and didn't turn the ball over. If it weren't for him we probably wouldn't have won this game.

Rutgers were driving but after completing a pass Husky linebacker Alex Dingle rocked the ball carrier and knocked the ball loose, which we recovered. After getting stopped on 3rd and 1 we then expanded the lead with a field goal to make it a touchdown differential at 27-20 with 1:28 to go in the game. Time and time again, Rutgers seemed to turn us away on 3rd and short with their voodoo 'call-one-formation, audible to another then motion everybody' defense. We had no answer for this bullshit or that fucking passing game once it got rolling.

Rutgers pulled out all the stops and moved the ball down the field quickly against our reeling defense, scoring on a 14-yard pass on a great read of a cover 2 zone scheme. "I was positive he was going to read man defense but he is excellent at breaking down the field," said Hellisan.

Rutgers only left 27 seconds on the clock, but the Huskies had two timeouts remaining. After an incompletion, we threw a short pass to the halfback that picked up a first down, then made another first down while burning our two timeouts. We threw an out route to tight end Joe Thurman just hoping to get out of bounds, but surprisingly he got way up the field, all the way to the 27-yard line before stepping out with 2 seconds on the clock.

Rutgers iced our kicker, who calmly nailed the 43-yard field goal for a huge win that likely puts us in the National Championship Game against Hotrod.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Mo had an excellent game plan in this one on offense... We have been shutting the run down all season long and although he made a concerted effort to run the ball, he did well in the passing game by staying well away from Lance McDougal, who only ended up with 1 tackle on the day. Instead he abused the other corner and worked our linebackers and safeties over the middle of the field. With McDougal not in the mix to make a big play against them, Rutgers eventually found the holes in our D.

WR Justin Rouse tortured the Rutgers secondary with 8 catches for 180 yards, many of those gains coming in 3rd and long situations.

Although he only had 80 yards on 19 carries, Kelly Haynes was pretty awesome for us. He repeatedly gained nice yards after contact and also caught a couple of big passes as well. Of course the two touchdowns didn't hurt.

QB Luke Hodge was hit and miss. He overthrew a wide open Rouse on a play in which Rouse was singled up on the outside. Overthrew him by about a step and a half. That fucking hurt, I had been waiting for the zero coverage opportunity, got it, and missed it. He missed some other throws too, but when your QB goes 18-27 with 341 yards and only one mistake (the pick) you can't complain.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Lock and load......

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Well done boys.

5. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Sounds like a great game, especially with the championship ramifications.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It really was mang. So when do you want to play? Although I know it's rare for me to ask for a couple days... Friday night would be best for me. Thursday night is probably "doable" but there's a chance I will be finishing up with work still. I'd love to play it Saturday Afternoon or evening after I'm done with my current job.

7. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Tonight and tomorrow are really the only good days for me leading up to the weekend. I'm supposed to be going out of town Fri and coming back Sunday afternoon.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

sim it....offseason Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Rouse is sick...I had my "best CB on him and I tried tons of stuff. I should have threw the freshman on rouse, who has the speed to keep up.

I was selling out run really hard on 4th down and inches...I got some key stops.

I seem to waste time trying to establish the run. For some reason I haven't been able to do this all year in this game with this team. Again passing was my best way of getting points and I should have had that as my plan from the start. Whoever was on my best WR, shut him down. Helli had a great gameplan. One side of the field was contained with his all world CB, he would shade my TE as a shadow with dingle (fucking beast). So I had to make an adjustment and not focus on getting downfield. I worked the other side of the field and I ran my TE on some shorter routes. Of course he got hurt in the 3rd quarter so I was down my 3 best offensive players but we battled and there was no excuse because we had a chance to take it into OT. My best CB and nickel got torched all day. Ugh. Great game as helli sends me into retirement for NCAA 11 lol.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good game Mo, it's always a challenge and always a lot of fun.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

O.k. how about Thursday evening at like 10 PM EST?

12. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    10 should be ok, I may be late like 10-15 min but I will make sure to keep you posted.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ok man, I will plan on a range from 10:00 to 10:15 EST and if you're gonna be later than that, let me know.

Will this be broadcast? Kinda think it should be, this is a big game, a few ppl might watch.

14. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I'll be broadcasting for sure.