Washington defense plays out of their minds in a 31-24 victory over UCLA

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Coming into the game against UCLA we had a single-minded focus to play great defense. We knew we had absolutely no running game; no great matchups in the passing game. The only way we were going to have a shot was if we just played lights out on D.

That's exactly what we did... Aided a bit by the refs (3 badly-timed penalties for UCLA, 0 for UW) we outlasted the Bruins in a game that showcased two teams that really wanted this win.

The game started out awful for UCLA. On the first play of the game QB Tavares Cook made sort of a quick read and threw it right to the cornerback, Adam Rice. Rice had a tough draw against the incredible Brandon Collins but this one was right to him. We matriculated the ball down the field, working the ball primarily to our two TE's in the passing game and scored on a 3-yard off tackle run by 8th-string running back E. Curry. No, I don't know his first name. We forced a punt on the second drive, and drove down again but UCLA hammered us with a bigtime sack that left us a long 3rd down conversion. I didn't want to chance going for it. 10-0 is a dream come true against a team like this, so we just kicked the FG.

UCLA bounced back with a long drive and Corey Dickens pounded it in from 3 yards out and they were down 10-7.

Both teams were forced to punt on consecutive drives and then Washington had the ball midway through the second quarter... UCLA knew we had no running game to speak of and that their matchups were looking great on the outside. Indeed throughout this game we threw three picks, all to guys that were making cuts it was just that the Bruins were ALL OVER THEM. Well they got everybody in the box this particular time and we called a play action pass and the blocking lasted just long enough to loft one to JR Arnold on a double move. He lost his man and was gone, 55 yards and it was 17-7.

This wasn't UCLA's first rodeo. They hitched up their drawers, scored a TD, picked us off, scored another TD, and it was halftime and UCLA was up by the score of 21-17. It happened so fast I really can't even remember how. I remember the pick. The WR ran a motion hitch... Appeared wide open, but Baker flipped out and threw it right to the CB who was coming in fast.

We got the ball to start the second half but couldn't do anything with it. UCLA was threatening on the subsequent drive but were faced with a 4th and kicked a field goal, making it 24-17. By this time we were sort of running out of ways to trick the UCLA defenders. We threw another interception this time trying an out route. Freshman Lance McDougal made everything right again by paying the Bruins back in kind with one of his two interceptions on the day. He is just a monster. We had it close and threw a slant route to JR Arnold, who was covered extremely tight but caught the bullet throw and held on. The game was tied 24-24.

On UCLA's next drive everything looked good until McDougal struck for his second pick, this time it was on a drag route and he just used his great athletic ability to get to the ball. We got it close and then went with another play action gamble, on 1st and goal from the 7 Baker found fullback Justin Hargrove who was all alone, caught the pass, and stepped into the end zone with a 31-24 lead.

UCLA had a good chance left with 4:36 left on the clock. They appeared determined to send this to overtime because they were taking their time, running the ball, spreading it around via the pass and it seemed like they were trying for one score with the clock drained down. Once they got within the red zone, MLB Ron Flynn picked off a pass. We had a zone called but I manned him up on the slot guy, planning to double the slant manually. Flynn didn't move out there. I tried to roll him and the coverage to that side but he was still a few yards off making it look like a pure zone. Cook pre-read this and tried to throw a dart to the seam... But it was right to Flynn. We ran it a couple of times then gambled on a pass to wide open EJ Webster (5 catches, 69 yards) and kneeled it out.

This was a tense game that I felt we had no shot winning after they took the lead at halftime. The refs were pretty one-sided in this thing. They called two holding penalties against the Bruins, both of which occurred on 6-10 yard gains that made it 1st and 20 instead of something like 2nd and 4 or 1st and 10. Then later we completed a short pass, got about 10 yards and the UCLA defender grabbed some facemask. That 15-yard penalty got us across midfield and well into their territory. On the other end we had no penalties which was a little suspect.

However I will give us a little credit. Although Cook threw for a lot of yards, he was confused at times. We mixed up coverages well and saved some tough ones for situations where we really needed a stop. We held him to a completion percentage of 45% on the day so I give us credit for that... There were a couple of bad throws, one play where UCLA picked their own guy out of the playk, etc... We went vanilla a few times, and got owned anytime we did.... But overall I felt we did a good job of just keeping him unsure about what we were going to do next.

Tough game... Tough D on both sides, and a couple of great individual performances won this game for the Huskies.

JR Arnold (4 Rec, 109 Yds, 2 TD) got player of the game from the TV crew..
    Lance McDougal (4 Tak, 2 INT, 1 deflection) got the game ball from the coach.

GG Rusty.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Too many slants and not enough HB dives for UCLA? Damn it wherr was the tv crew?

3. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

matriculated ..... i like

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah...very nice.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    JMS = lowry's

Good tough win there helli. Your almost as modest as rusty. Lol...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I am modest. Are you saying this because I said we played great D? That was more of a players thing than a stick control thing or whatever. The team did all the work. I was stating a fact not bragging... lol

For instance it seemed like every time the ball got in the area of one of my players they hungry hungry hippoed it... Yeah there might have been one user pick in there :rolleyes: but still if the player doesn't CATCH IT... It's worthless :)

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I dunno.... I don't think the HB was at full speed (Dickens). I think I remember Rusty saying he was hurt... And when I said the slant I just meant "if it happened." It was my plan to help double it if he threw it.

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Tough loss, but Helli's team made more plays, his team caught most of the bad throws from us, and while we caught a couple bad throws of his but one pick we had was a super human play on a good read by him. Couple of those picks looked wide open until we threw the ball, didnt think the last one would happen at all...that lb moved very quick inside out and batted the ball and then caught the tip. We had a lb who had a shot to do the same thing in an under zone on his drive to go ahead but we got the bat down and the next play the TD pass into very good coverage our DB was in front of the slant and let the ball get in there for a td...still not sure how it happened but it did.

Helli is being modest, his game plan was very good. Just one of those games where we should have zigged when we zagged...I should drink before playing more often...softens the blow a bit.

The last penalty hurt the worst, we had a third and inches at the ten yard line and got called for a hold, then threw two str8 inc passes led to a FG so instead of a good shot at 28-17 it was 24-17 and we just never recovered, twice moving the ball inside the UW 30 and once to the 12 and threw picks.

The coverage by the UW Lbs and CBs was crazy good, as good as the Wizz coverage was earlier this season. The D's get better and better no doubt about it.

Great job Bryan and congrats the pac 10 season is the hardest run in the league, if you can get through it you deserve to win the title.

9. BRUCE80

Your vag still sore from the beating we laid on you earlier this season?

• Like Like x 1
  10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am just sore from not being able to watch it!

11. BRUCE80

That first throw was just a killer, must have been a cover 3 because the slot and outside WR were being covered by one DB, he was outside and we made too quick of a throw and he just slide right under the route for the pick...your right bad way to start.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I was ready to watch that go back the other way... SMH...

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It was a Hotrod throw... He does that kind of throw all game. Same with Mo. Throws and completes it to covered guys constantly.

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Call hotrod Brett favre and I'm Aaron Rodgers...

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hotrod = Carson Palmer

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Ouch....as I talk hotrod off the high rise ledge...

17. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

lol