Washington outlasts Stanford in a crazy one, 38-35

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Two people can see a game from two different perspectives so this is clearly ONLY my perspective and I'm sure Bly will chime in with his.

This was personified by two guys playing like total crap at various points in the game, and in the end the game was just gonna go to whoever got lucky last. I played like Crap intermittently, Bly played like crap for most of the game and yet was still this close to getting the "dubya." Despite the horrible play by both sides it ended up being a very exciting game that most people would enjoy watching.

FIRST QUARTER

Defense, defense, and more defense. No points scored, very few first downs to be had. A tough time for the offenses. Tackling was really crisp. I was particularly awful on offense in this quarter, I took one bad sack and several other plays where I passed up easy completions in the hope of a big play down the field, and was hit while throwing or intercepted. I was just really disjointed and playing shitty.

SECOND QUARTER

Washington gets on the board with a field goal to take the early lead. On the ensuing possession we intercept Andrew Luck on just a horrible read/throw where my impact corner was ALL OVER the route, there was never a shot at a completion (how wrong I would be in this assumption). And Long took it back to the house for a 10-0 lead. We got the ball back, and scored on a 44-yard touchdown run by Chris Polk for a 17-0 lead with 1:39 to go in the second half.

Now... In that situation he had less reason to be concerned than normal I suppose. If he could score even a field goal... He then takes the second half kickoff and has a chance to make it 17-10 early in the 3rd Quarter. he did one better. With a man on the receiver and a man in perfect position over the top, Luck throws one up and (true to his name) the guy comes down with it in a crowd to make it 17-7 at the end of the first half.

THIRD QUARTER

Even though they had already had a couple of passes intercepted, Luck seemingly appears to be making a concerted effort to throw to the most covered guy on the field; and it keeps working to perfection. He throws it to a covered TE Levin Toilolo and my guy just stands there dumbfounded as the pass whizzes by his head and the TE catches it for a 25-yard touchdown. Just like that STanford is within a field goal after a disastrous start.

The defenses then take over again, as once again i'm stymied in just about everything I try on offense. At the end of the third quarter Stanford again throws to a completely covered guy, another of my defenders loses track of where it is, and there goes the guy for a long gain setting up a 6-yard touchdown run where the guy makes a GREAT run to just power through. I'm not exaggerating here, we're talking passes going right by the earhole of my dudes. So now after a 17-0 start Stanford takes the 21-17 lead with a great comeback effort.

Before the end of the quarter we answer, as HB Chris Polk explodes for a 65-yard rush and touchdown to give us the lead again, 24-21. Polk ended up being the player of the game, with 19 carries, 190 yards, and 2 touchdowns. He would also later do damage in the air.

FOURTH QUARTER

Stanford regains the lead with another drive, 28-24 as Anthony Wilkerson scroes his second touchdown of the game. Wilkerson was pretty much controlled other than dominating near the goal line, as other than his two six-yard touchdown runs he had 14 carries for 46 yards. This happened a couple of times where they scored to go up four, and we would score to go up by just a field goal. Set the stage for an exciting ending.

with 2:33 to go, Washington scored on a 2-yard touchdown rush by Demetrius Bronson as our line was really starting to dominate the impressive Stanford front. Starting the game we were really ineffective with the run but we stuck with it because the score was still close, and it eventually became the biggest reason we were in this thing. So we're up 31-28 with 2:33 to go.

Stanford makes a play that looked close the first time (I originally thought it was another bad read, miraculous fuck-up by my guys, etc). But watching the replay Luck perfectly threaded a pass past the outstretched arms of my corner who made a good effort - to Jemari Roberts who turned upfield, broke a tackle, and made it in from 61 yards out with 1:52 to go. 35-31, I need a touchdown to win.

So somehow I actually win on a fuck-up. I didn't need an immediate touchdown and didnt' want to leave 30 seconds on the clock (because they only needed a FG!) but I did, after a 3-4 play drive and no huddle offense, I threw over the top to Chris Polk, missing a WIDE OPEN guy on the crossing route that would have been an easy completion. however Polk has run a good route, the throw is perfect, and the stanford defender is wearing lead boots, just a horrible jump. The pass floats over his hand to Polk for a 30-yard touchdown pass.

There's 0:33 on the clock and we're leading 38-35. Stanford has a last gasp. Luck drops back, throws to his speedy 4th receiver who I had my eye on in any 4 wide set... the guy looks covered, but Luck (best QB in nation) again makes a beyond incredible throw, hitting Keanu Nelson for his only catch of the day. Both my safeties took horrible angles and are actually coming from the sides despite me playing conservative on the pass d. Nelson looks like he might get away, but speedy FS Sean Parker (3 tackles, INT) nabs him from behind and causes a fumble to end the game.

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

gg. certainly a nailbitter.

this is now the second game in this dynasty i have lost because a receiver decided to fumble the ball on a would be winning drive toward the end of the game.

it'd be nice to actually catch a break in this thing at some point. seems every opportunity (the two fumbles - losing Skov - losing 4 scholarships i saved for the offseason - getting the random negative decline in academic prestige) i take it in the tailpipe.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

u cant beat Helli...........he refuses to lose.

4. BlyGilmore

i beat him last year, so I don't believe that.

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

didnt count.....he won the national championship anyway.

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Thats not what Bruce said

7. BlyGilmore

not my fault. I did my job.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The academic prestige thing is total bullshit.

Those should be either non-changing, or change once every 10 years maximum, and then never again. I lean toward non-changing. Stanford will always be one of the top schools on the west coast for as long as I'm sucking wind.q

I think we've all taken it in the keaster at some point, some more than others, but I did have to wipe every single player endowed with any talent whatsoever off my board early this season because it decided not to give me credit for my top 6 phone calls one week.

9. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

This dynasty is cursed.