Washington shuts out Cal in second half for comeback win, 34-28

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Cal is most dangerous when there's nothing to lose and for that reason alone we knew this wasn't going to be an easy game. The first clue that they were coming out loose came in the opening moments when they took the kickoff to open the game, something they rarely do.

Cal took three and a half minutes off the clock in opening the scoring with a 7-yard run in which Calvin Cameron broke about five tackles. Cameron was tough in this game but as it wore on, Cal went to him less and less.

Cal picked off sophomore QB Greg Baker and scored another touchdown on another tough run by Cameron as he was starting to look unstoppable.

In the second quarter the Huskies countered and scored a pair of touchdowns. One was a 6-yard run after a pretty quick drive, and then Cal came with an all-out zone blitz and left JUCO transfer Tyler Wilson all alone in the seam. THe cannon-armed Baker threw a rope right to him, giving Wilson ample time to find a running lane and avoid a tackler to score, tying the game.

Cal had another surge ready to fire off. Their defense stepped up bigtime and intercepted Baker again. They were really playing well during this stretch - every hit was a huge hit, and every run was an all-out war. Meanwhile, J. Poe caught a 12-yard pass for a touchdown then after the interception, Cal got tricky and threw a HB Pass to Poe for a 23-yard score.

THe third quarter was all defense, as Cal continued to play their asses off on D and the Huskies were holding on by a thread. The only scoring in the quarter was a 41-yard FG by K. DAvis that made it 28-17 in favor of the Bears.

Cal had the ball and Anderson tried to find his trusty guy Richardson over near the sideline. Middle linebacker Ron Flynn made a nice play to intercept the pass and suddenly we felt that we were really flying high. A touchdown early in the fourth quarter made it 28-24 and it seemed like we finally started to get the version of the Cal Bears we like - clinched sphincter Cal. Seemed like they tensed up just a bit more.

With over two minutes to go in the game I think we forced a punt... Can't remember for sure. We still needed a touchdown for the win. THe big play of the drive was when Baker's pass was tipped in the air and the intended receiver still came down with it. A huge break. We kept it on the ground and forced Cal to use two of their timeouts. Nevertheless Stephen Wilson scored from one yard out to make it 31-28 with 1:56 to go in the game.

Cal were looking for a quick completion to get their drive going (needing a FG at least) but CB Matt Johnson had other ideas, stepping in front and picking it off. There was too much time left to just kneel it so we ran up the gut and forced them to use their last remaining timeout, and then kicked a FG to stretch the lead to 6 pts. with 11 seconds remaining.

Notes:

Strictly by the numbers it looked like UW did a better job than we realy did. Cal had a lot of trouble passing in this one. We did a good job of mixing things up but they also probably had a bad game. Anderson was 9-15, 115 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT. As a team, Cal had 257 yards of offense compared to 436 yards for the Huskies, and 3 turnovers for Cal against 2 for the Huskies.

Wes Baker picked off his 10th pass of the season in the first half.

Cal showed some class when after pitching the ball out the rear end of their QB, they ran the ball out of bounds when they could have easily gotten the first down. We appreciated it and although we don't run the option, would have done the same in that situation. A tough call that drew mad respect from our side.

Stats:

G. Baker, UW: 22-33, 358 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
    S. Wilson, UW: 22 Car, 104 Yds, 3 TD
    T. Wilson, UW: 6 Rec, 125 Yds, 1 TD
    E. Webster, UW: 3 Rec, 76 Yds
    W. Baker, UW: 5 Tak, INT
    M. Johnson, UW: 3 Tak, INT
    R. Flynn, UW: 3 Tak, INT

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Very fun game to watch. Fosh was in control for 3 qtrs but could not close the deal.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Sounds like my experience with Girls in Highschool....and college.......and real life.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Lawl

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Helli is a fiesty fucker. Honestly I didnt think he played well until the 4th quarter. I thought going for it at the end of the 2nd was a mistake, he threw 2 bad picks, and his defense was meh. He did manage to take advantage of poor decisions from Fosh. IMO Fosh had the game if he would have taken a more conservative pace on offense and just protected the ball he could have came out a the victor. The turnover gave Helli life and he took full advantage of them.

Bottom line is if you are up in points going into the last round don't go for the knock out. Play it safe and take the decision otherwise one mishap and then your back is on the mat.

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Kind of a strange raggety game. Thats the pac 10 these days, tough teams and coaches who know each other pretty well lead to close games.

I thought Josh had the game but he left the run in the bag, Cameron dominated this game when he was given the ball, but Josher passed the ball all the way off the cliff.

Lost season for Cal, huge game for UCLA and UW on the horizon.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Right after I went for it I just felt it was lame and cheesy that I had. If I had completed a 33-yard TD pass in that scenario... I would have felt bad. At the time I was thinking no way could I hit a 50-yarder, but later I remembered my kicker has a reasonable leg and he nailed a 49-yarder so.... Glad that worked out like it did.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

See I feel that with me and Fosh we always try to put each other away when one of us gets the momentum. It has never worked out for us to play it safe with the lead, just as it didn't work out yesterday for Fosh to go for the kill. Cameron yes was dominant in the first half including a long run or two but in the second half they would run on first down and lose a yard or maybe get 1-3 yards and staring at 2nd and 7 to 2nd and 12 and knowing our history... It makes it a bit more difficult to run.

He has said he's going to go Cameron Crazy on me next year. Well we hopefully will have Wilson healthy like we did yesterday, and hopefully Wilson will once again match him.

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I wasn't talking about the 4th and 30 in the 4th quarter....that was interesting. I was referring to going for the TD at the end of 1st half instead of kicking the FG.

The 4th and 30....I would have either threw an underneath route to be like a punt or just punt and try and pin in behind the 10 yard line. It was a gray area as you were down by I think 11 at that point.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh yeah... See I kinda forget exactly how the game unfolds. I need video replay... lol.

I really felt a field goal was useless to me there, because we were doing really bad on D at that time. So I felt I either needed to make it a shootout... Or just get blown out. Luckily my D gained traction in the 2nd half.

11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I disagreed because you were getting ball in 2nd half. I figured why not try and get back to back scoresfor at least 10 points. I think you threw an int on that drive but got the ball right back (beginning of 3rd).

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Please win against UCLA next week helli. That is all.

13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Another hater, get in line...

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    No Hater. Seems liKe my best shot is winning out and having you lose to helli. The other option is I simply jump over Wisconsin if I beat #4 VT in my final game which would make me smile :-D

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

If I lose I won't be bummed, three in a row is not good for a league (yes, I know I did that once).

I will do my best however.