Washington toughs one out against Cal, 17-14

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Two of the top defenses in the nation faced off in an important game. Cal was ranked #5 with one loss, so technically not out of it. Although Rutgers and Purdue might not agree.

I digress, this was a tough game in which the defenses did as advertised and that is control the game for the most part. Cal's problems were turnovers; they threw two interceptions, although one was meaningless, the other was very important.

We started off the scoring with a beautiful 20-yard run up the middle by Kelly Haynes late in the first quarter. In that first half our run blocking was so good I thought me might just stomp them a new mudhole and run away with this one but they stiffened up.

Cal tied it up on a 15-yard pass in the second quarter. We forced a punt later in that quarter with 1:15 to go in the 1st half and ended up scoring on an 11-yard pass to the fullback to take a 14-0 lead.

We then kicked a field goal in the third quarter for our final of 17 points. Cal got a 1-yard touchdown run late in the third but the defenses played to a draw in the 4th QTR totally controlling the action.

On our offensive side it was a continuously tough pass rush by Cal (which ended up with 3 sacks) that really stopped us. When they weren't sacking us they were hitting us, or just getting a hand up to bat down a ball that would have been a completion. They played phenomenal for the most part.

Nevertheless we hang in there for a much needed victory and will face off against cpu UCLA (not a gimme) in week 13 and Rutgers in Week 15.

Team Notes

CB Lance McDougal (92 OVR, 99 SPD, 98 ACC, 90 AGI, 84 AWR, 93 MCV, 98 ZCV, 89 PRS, 57 CTH, 92 PRC) is the most effective player we've ever had in this dynasty. It's not just all the picks he gets (he got his 10th in this game and has at least one in the past five games) but the lack of times he gets beaten in general over the years. He doesn't have more than 24 solo tackles in any season and in addition to his 25 career interceptions has recorded 45 pass batdowns.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Here is the profile for the previous best defensive player I had

[​IMG]
    CB Wes Baker - 6'1" 205, Perryton, TX - :4stars:
    Washington Huskies
    Senior Ratings: 86 OVR, 90 SPD, 90 ACC, 84 AGI, 84 AWR, 96 MCV, 95 ZCV, 90 PRS, 73 CTH, 75 PRC, 84 PUR, 90 JMP, 80 HPW

Career Stats
    [​IMG]

Baker was a guy we recruited in 2011-2012 and weren't overly enamored with his abilities. I don't remember exactly what his ratings were but i think he was in the 73 OVR range. He has never been overly impressive with regards to ratings, only the stats he has put up and the big-time moments in which he has made his biggest plays. I only wonder what would have happened if he had been starting as a freshman. He played only in the slot and made 1 INT on the season. After that he averaged over 8 INT per year!

You could complete passes against him. He was no Revis. But when it came to him he would usually pick it off. And his coverage ability increased exponentially the more important the game/moment. He's not done... We still have the Rose Bowl (probably against Fresno State) in which he'll hopefully pad his stats.

Career Highlights:

*A game-ending interception of jfosh and Cal in the end zone was probably the greatest moment of his career. Fosh was driving on me, was within a touchdown, had a lot of momentum, and then in the closing seconds, goes to throw it to his best WR and Baker was just ALL OVER HIM and intercepted the pass cleanly to end the ball game.

*Two interceptions in a comeback win against STanford and bringbackjimmy. In a game in which we were down 24-7, an interception by Baker was a key turning point that led us to a comeback victory. He then intercepts another pass later in the game for the nail in the coffin.

*Another game-turning interception against Jfosh this season when we were down big and then eventually shut him out in the second half (including a Baker INT) to come back for the win.

*Interception against UCLA (Bruce80) in a 31-7 rout where nothing went right for UCLA. The INT by Baker really sealed the ball game.

*After already having 11 INT on the season in his senior year, he gets two more against lowly Washington State, both returned for touchdowns, to really nail down his legacy and (assuming) the Thorpe award.

*Partly due to his incredible play, we went 11-1 in 2015 (senior year) with our only loss coming to eventual BCS championship game participant Rutgers... A three-point loss in which Baker did make an interception. In all four of our (vs user) games in his senior season, he came away with at least one pick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

In only 3 seasons McDougal has one fewer interceptions (25) and a TON more pass deflections (45) than Baker had. I'm bummed that McDougal won't get a 4th season but realistically a guy this good wouldn't stay for his SR year anyway.

I will say that Baker had more IMPORTANT interceptions against users... For instance making plays by himself that beat teams like Rutgers, UCLA, etc....

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Are you guys playing with Pass Defense to aggressive? I just started doing that and all of a sudden in ints are showing up. There seems to be no negative affect to it even though I thought there was.

Also are these gameplay adjustments in 2012?

Great score here, when i saw the email I was starring at it for a while wondering....wth?

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Prediction:

Washington 48 - UCLA 10

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Gameplay adjustments are once again in NCAA 2012... I really didn't use any of them or test them.

In '11 I start each game wtihout any adjustments and I make them on the fly. Sometimes the pass rush sucks so I go aggressive there, (Fosh caught me with a very important offsides) or sometimes I'll try aggressive Pass D but frankly that one never seems to help at all either way. The aggressive pass rush helps more against the cpu for me... I'd say the other useful ones are conservative catching (which I forgot to turn on yesterday) and conservative ball carrying which I turned on late in the game.

7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I remember Baker well, he abused us for four years.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    fugg Baker.

I hope to see how good this other kid is though, I hope to have my QB Wilson back for that game.