We are the Knights that say ni!!(a UCF blog)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mcyork, Sep 8, 2013.

1. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 6.02.38 AM.png
    Offseason: The University of Central Florida ushered in a new era in Knights football when they accepted an invite to the American Athletic Conference in 2012. After an 11-3 2012 campaign in CUSA, UCF was brimming with confidence and a very talented roster. The Football team was shook to its core in January when Head Coach George O'leary stepped down for personal reasons. After an extensive search AD Todd Stansbury and his committee selected from 3 strong candidates and choose UVA Head Coach MC York. Coach York in two short years led UVA to 2 bowls and a top 25 ranking. He brings a Multiple Offensive scheme and the Knights will play in a similar 4-3 offense. "I am glad to get back to a city that I once called home. I was here when we played in the Citrus Bowl downtown. I saw Daunte Culpepper play his 1st game here. In fact for my Bachelor Party we tailgated for the Notre Dame vs Navy, UCF vs Western Kentucky double header in 2000. I know the talent that FLA has and I am going to tap into that. I will look to load the roster with a lot of local talent. This will be Orlando's team. This Stadium, this campus and this town are so attractive that it makes my job that much easier. What won't be easy will be the AAC. It is a very deep conference that at this moment is connected into the BCS bowl games. That is what we will compete for every year. A chance at crashing the party." said Coach York during his introduction.
    New Comers:The Knights 2013 Class was its highest ranked class in school history. Rated #73 the Knights signed 11 :3stars:. The top Freshman are QB Justin Holman from GA, RB Micah Reed from FL, OLB Mario Mathis also from GA and the star of the class is FS D.J. Killings a local boy from Apopka High. As of fall camp Killings was going to be RS because of talent already on the roster. Of the above mentioned talent only OLB Mathis will see the field this year. At 6'2" 240lbs he is already built for the college game. He will be used on Special Teams to start but Coach York mentioned that he was already listed on the two Deep at the Will.
    Offense: This team will be led by RS JR QB Blake Bortles. Bortles passed for over 3000 Yards last year with 25 TD's and 7 Int's. How fast Bortles transitions from a pro style offense to a Multiple set will tell you how well this team will do. Joining the QB in the backfield will be HB RS JR Storm Johnson. Johnson (who started his career at Miami) rushed for over 500 yards last year and 4 scores. The Knights do not lack for talent on the outside. All three of Blake's top targets are back they include JR RS JJ Worton, SR Jeff Godfrey and JR Rannell Hall. Top TE target JR Justin Tucks is also back. The OL will be led by RT SR Justin McCray and a solid if not spectacular rotation of JR's and Sr's that have seen plenty of action. The most talented player along the line is RS FR C Colby Watson who NFL draft analysts predict should be a top pick in a couple of years.
    Defense:The word for the D is YOUNG...the team only has one SR starter sprinkled in with 4-5 JR's. They will be starting a lot of FR and SO's with little to no experience. Since the D is not going with a change in schemes the transition should be limited only to communication between players and coaches. The DL is very young having only one SR on the two deep they are led by two RS SO's in DE Deion Green and DT Demetrius Anderson. The LB corp graduated all three starters last year they are led by JR Terrence Plummer who saw a lot of game time last year and was a ST stud. The secondary also graduated 3 of the 4 starters but the most talented came back after flirting with the NFL draft. 6'3" 203 lb SS Clayton Geathers is back to lead a deep if not experienced secondary. "We have several guys who are competing for starters minutes. I expect it to go all the way up to the last day. The only one we can pencil in as a starter is Clay. There are 2 if not 3 guys at each spot who thinks that he can start. I love that about these guys. They are not afraid of battles. It has made for a very competitive fall camp. I love the energy." said Coach York.
    Schedule: The schedule is a tough one. This is not CUSA any more. The AAC took the best of that conference and mixed in Big East hold overs Cinn, UCONN and USF and you have a very balanced league. Is this league worthy of a BCS spot. Right now that is up for debate. I think this league will stun a few teams that think they are weak. To add to the gauntlet that is the 9 AAC games will be games against Akron to start the season, At Penn State in week 3 and hosting pre season #7 South Carolina in week 4. Top it all off with a end of season showdown with new interstate Rival USF at home, the game will more than likely have a lot more on the line with the two teams clamoring for a lot of the same recruits. This schedule should be entertaining for season ticket holders to Bright House Stadium lots of great action now that we are in the AAC.
    Outlook: Wow where does UCF fit in the AAC. A big step up with a tough schedule and a lot of youngsters on both sides of the ball I will temper my expectations. This team looks to secure a Bowl bid and has the talent to compete for the AAC east title and a trip to the 1st title game but i just don't think it will be this year. I will go with 7-5 and a bright outlook for 2014.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 1
    It really was this close!!
    Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 12.20.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 12.21.29 PM.png

The final score does not do this game justice. Most would look at it and say ahhh it wasn't even close. Those that were at Bright House Stadium today have a different story to tell. The 1st game under Coach MC York started out with a 7 play march down the field with a great catch by WR Jeff Godfrey who jumped for the end zone only to have his legs hit and flipping him in for a score (see below) and the Knights took a 7-0 lead only to see the offense go stagnant and sputter for the
    Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 12.21.01 PM.png
    next QTR and a half. The D showed signs of being young and the Knights went into Half Time down 21-7. Coach York got into the youngsters faces and challenged them to come out and get up off the mat and compete. Compete they did. QB Blake Bortles looked like a totally different player after a 6-13 1st half with 2 INT's he came out and finished the game 16-21 and threw for 3 more TD's. RB Storm Johnson rushed for 174 yards (see below) and one score. He moved the chains at will
    Screen shot 2013-09-08 at 12.21.16 PM.png
    and along with RS FR Todd Oldham combined for over 225 yards rushing. The play of the game was OLB Troy Gray's pick 6 (top photo). With the team down 21-14 Gray tipped into the air a Akron QB pass that was batted once by a RB and caught inches from hitting the ground for an incomplete pass. The play was reviewed the stadium was silent commentator Kirk Herbstreet felt that it was incomplete until the Ref's came out form under the hood and said that there was not enough evidence to overturn the call. The route was on. The teams traded blows and then UCF poured it on scoring the next 4 times they held the ball. The D had its ups and downs. Giving up 411 yards but turning the Zips over 4 times. Along with the secondaries 4 picks the DL had 5 sacks. The Knights have next week off and then travel to State College to take on Penn St. 1-0 and brimming with confidence Coach York will hit the recruiting trail to try and lure in some new talent.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 2
    Beat Down In PA!
    pennst.PNG

pennst2.PNG

UCF should have stayed on the bus. The team was intimidated and it showed. PSU came out firing on all cylinders. The Nittany Lions scored on each of their 1st two possessions to take a 14-0 lead. After the teams traded punts UCF had a very nice drive going only to stall out at the 4 yard line and settle for a FG. PSU QB Christian Hackenburg was down right methodical completing 18-27 passes for 261 yards and 2 TD's. UCF's offense was one dimensional as the only thing working was HB Storm Johnson who had 111 yards on the ground on 21 carries. QB Blake Bortles could not find a rhythm. He started off the game 0-6 and was 2-10 at the half. Bortles finished the game 13-29 with one INT he was also sacked 5 times (picture above) . The D was just outclassed for most of the game. PSU converted 13-17 third downs. They were also 1-1 on fourth down. "You are not going to win many games letting the other team convert on 76% of their 3rd downs. We gotta get better at stopping the run and misdirection. I think we blitzed on 3rd and long 3 times only to see a screen play called and run right by the HB. " said Coach York after the game. "We go to SMU next week we will try to fix this and get better. These boys are gonna practice like they have never practiced in their young lives I can promise you that." added Coach York. So UCF sits at 1-1 on this early season with the meat of the schedule coming up with SMU, then hosting now #2 USC the following week it doesn't look to be getting any easier.​

4. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 3
    UCF Gets the Win on the Bye Week!!!
    nothing to see here move along

5. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 4
    BEAT DOWN!!!!
    smu1.PNG

Tough game to really talk about as it was played 2 1/2 times. Coach mboda played a great game and his SMU team was well coached. Not a bright spot to talk about as this was over before it started. The 1st match up was close and I was able to score. I even scored in the second go round but this third one was a turd. I couldn't get off blocks and QB Blake Bortles was putrid. You know those games that you play and it seems that its just not your day? In the second qtr SMU QB Garrett Gilbert threw a deep ball down the side line to a streaking WR. My CB jumped to catch it made the pick and proceeded to fall into the endzone only to be tackled for a safety. I mean WTF are you going to do. I sat there for like 30 sec and said F it its just not your day. We only gave up over 450 yards and the D had 3 picks but to go only 2-10 on 3rd down conversions was pretty much the day for me. GG boda see you next year. Gulp we have USC next week back to the drawing board

6. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 5
    Shocker in Orlando!

steve spurrier.PNG
    usc3.PNG
    The line on this game in Vegas was USC -28. South Carolina came into this game ranked #2 in the country. SR QB Conner Shaw was a one man show. Through 3 games he had amassed over 1000 yards of offense and 11 scores. The Ol Ball Coach was licking his chops over the fact that UCF had given up over 900 yards of offense to SMU and Penn State in the last couple of weeks. "I tip my hat to Coach York and his staff for their game plan. They did just what they needed to do in order to beat us. We didn't adjust and this cost us. I am extremely upset the way we executed and our 2 TO's killed great drives (see INT by UCF def below).
    usc1.PNG
    Conner needs to know that he can tuck it and run instead of forcing those throws into a two deep zone. Storm Johnson ran over and around one of the best defenders in the country. Jadaveon was a non factor the UCF FB and RT doubled him all day. We have to find a way to get him loose. ' said USC Coach Steve Spurrier after the game. Johnson (pic below)was the difference as he had 170 yards on 30 carries (with two scores) and the UCF offense kept the USC defense on the field for 17:30 and wore them out.
    usc2.PNG
    "We improved our third down conversions, (8-13) we worked on that all week. Storm was a stud today. Blake made sound decisions, he took care of the ball and stood in the pocket in front of one of the best pass rushes in the country. I am so proud of these guys. After the last couple of demoralizing games they came out here today and showed that they have no give up." said Coach York after the game. UCF has another Home game next week as the Knights prepare for AAC foe Memphis at Brighthouse Stadium. The Knights will invite a few recruits to the game and we will have a write up on how those visits go in the coming weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 6
    mem3.PNG
    mem2.PNG
    mem1.PNG

Oh what a shitty day it was in Orlando! Not much to write about as the Knights were kicked in the balls and lay curled up on the field in the fetal position for most of the day. No game balls no press conference after the game. Nothing? Coach York was heard outside the locker room tearing into his players. Most of what he said cannot be repeated in this publication. We will have to wait till Wed when we have our conference call to talk to the dejected Head Coach.

• Like Like x 1