We Have Lift Off (Astros Blog)

Discussion in 'Team News' started by ty5oke, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Apr 13, 2012
    Star SP Lands in Houston
    Grienke looking all excited when he signed with Houston​
    Houston made one of the biggest FA splashes in the market during the offseason, signing SP Zach Grienke to a 4 year contract worth $82M. Grienke comes off a stellar season in which he racked up 18 wins with a 3.12 ERA, and was good for a 6.8 WAR season. At the press conference, Houston GM Vaughan, was questioned why he would spend this kind of money in the midst of a rebuilding phase. His response, "We had a chance to sign one of the top SP's in the game and at that price, I just couldn't pass it up. Grienke later told reporters, "I know you media folk are going to criticize me going to a non-contender, but I believe I can be the guy to help turn the franchise around. I want to be an Astro until I retire and with the youth in the system, I just might get that ring after all."​

• Like Like x 1
  2. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Apr 13, 2012
    2013 Season Recap
    Team Stats:

2013 All Star:

2013 Notes:

MLB Debuts:

SS Jonathan Villar: .268/.306/.371 27 2B 32 SB 2.1 WAR

2B Delino Deshields JR: .236/.319/.356 25 SB 1.0 WAR

RF Adam Bailey: .262/.294/.512 11 HR

3B Javier Suarez: .273/.348/.376 .9 WAR

OF Domingo Santana and 1B Kody Hinze

SP Armando Flores: Struggled in his 9 starts to a 8.92 ERA

SP Jarred Cosart: Pitched well in first ML season, 4.43 ERA

Offseason Plan:

The Astros began the youth movement in 2013, seeing many players make their debuts. 2014 will continue the process. Have some money available but I expect be pretty inactive in FA market during the rebuilding phase. May try and work some trades from strengths for weaknesses.

Expected lineup:

C Jason Castro
    1B Jerry Sands
    2B Deshields
    3B Suarez
    SS Villar
    LF Shuck
    CF Blackmon
    RF Santana/Bailey
    DH FA/Hinze/Santana

Rotation: Grienke/Garza/Cosart/Norris/Flores

Trade Block: Blackmon, Castro, Garza, Altuve
  3. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Apr 13, 2012
    2014 April Recap
    April 2014.jpg
    The Astros are off to their best start under GM Vaughan since he took over the team. The team put together a competitive month and look to continue that the rest of the year. Pitching will have to do better if the Astros will want to contend for a playoff spot.
    Hitter of the Month:
    3B Javier Suarez: .390/.424/.623 The 23 year old had a monster month but unfortunately went down to injury a couple days ago. Arguably my two best hitters will be out for the next 2-3 weeks.
    Pitcher of the Month:
    SP Armando Flores: 2-1 2.10 ERA, Former first round draft pick had very good month, continued to work the sinker and had opposing batters hitting it on the ground 81% of the time
    Other Notes:
    • #1 prospect was out for most of the month with injury but will be coming back next sim.
    • Jason Castro had a great month, led the team with .401 wOBA
    • Marwin Gonzalez was the unsung hero, Villar has struggled and Gonzalez did well to cover for him.
    • Charlie Blackmon could be playing to his potential? 8 2B's .375 wOBA
    • Constant trade talks haven't derailed Garza (3-0 2.85 ERA)
  4. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Apr 13, 2012
    May Update
    • Greinke was traded for 2B Socorro (#57), CF Danny Fields, CL Anthony Zych - With all the young arms ready to make an impact, figured it was time to move Greinke​
    • Jerry Sands turned it around in May with .878 OPS​
    • JD Martinez continues his great season .309/.382/.500​
    • Blackmon has played solid defense in CF while sporting .511 SLG​
    • Armando Flores first full year continues to look good - 4-4 3.75 ERA​
    • Revolving door at closer - Dayton has the next shot​
    • SP Alex Wimmers 9.0 K/9​
    • -4 from Pyt record, still feel like team can win 70-75 games this year.​
    • Like Like x 2