Wed March 2nd Club Analysis

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by MoonBBad, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I wanted to open a thread to discuss last nights games. Personally, I think we should talk about what we liked, what we didn't like, and possibly some suggestions for improvement for the next time we get together.

Guff on!

2. MoonBBad

Pros:
    Finishing - we seemed to be doing a pretty good job of finishing chances last night
    Midfield spacing - I think at the midfield we are doing a better job of keeping our space between each other and not ball watching
    runs - I think we are doing a better job of creating chances by making better runs towards the goal, last week we had issues with it, this week we seemed to be doing some more creative things.
    goalkeeping - feck, last night I saw some of the best saves I have ever seen you make (no joke), you did a really good job of bailing out your defense last night for sure.

Cons:
    Holding on to the lead - there were too many times where we grabbed the lead only to let it slip. Which leads to my next con...
    Defense - Back line overall had poor play. I don't necessarily think it's so much that there is bad individual play, I personally think it's a lack of communication. (This is where Feck needs to step in as a keeper to keep his back line in check)
    Offsides Issues - We are still playing too many guys onsides. I can't tell you how many times the back line was shredded because someone played the last offensive player from the other team onsides... That's got to improve or we're going to continue to give up those counter goals.

My top player vote for last night goes to our keeper, hell of a job last night mate, we probably would have lost way more if it had not been for some really quality saves.

3. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

I had the problem of me being the only defender on the defensive side of the line,everyone else was pat the midfield line..I know you wanna play an offsides trap,but one good ass chip and we're dead and out run, so me being last man was kind of an issue on those 2 on 1 situations....secondly hack kept moving in my area,and everywhere...you need to stay on your side throughout the match so we can keep things organized and not run into eachother in a clustered bunch, another issue i saw, was when the other team ran down the line with the ball, we saw three defenders on him, one of you guys needs to say "go to the middle", so the defense knows you got em..and they can move to the middle and prevent a crossing goal...other than that...clear the ball when you have it in your box...the B button is your best friend on the occasion...dont play the ball near the box if you have the other team nearby...or it will result in some...bad results. Offense..from watching you,you boys did good up there...and Feck..your awesome man..ily <3

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm really not happy at all with how we performed as a team. We are a lot better than those teams. Part of the blame is on me for setting a lineup that isn't very competitive. I have a couple of issues.

- Now that we have more than 11 people wanting to play on Wed nights, if you do not post in the scheduling threads that we create each week, you will not play unless a spot is open. I'm serious about this. It's the only fair way I know how to do it, for now. Hopefully we can get a second club opened up as a feeder team for some of you less experienced guys to grow and develop. We had a lot of guys that showed up that didn't bother to post. We also had a few guys that posted and didn't show up. This will not be a situation where guys can just show up and get whatever position they want. This is an organized club. If you want a free-for-all club then transfer.

- I'm still seeing way too many pros in the low 70s. I realize some of you guys just got onto the club, that's fine. You will develop as we go. Your ball skills, dribbling, tackling, speed, agility, balance and passing skills are all very, very critical to online play. I think last night proved that if you have terrible pros, you will get your ass spun into the ground by vastly more skilled strikers. Same thing on the offensive side. Heavy touches provide time for a defender to slice the ball away from you. I can't stress this enough. If you want to be a part of the team, we need guys who have pros that can support the team.

- On the same note, if you have a lesser skilled pro, do not try to do too much. Get the ball to someone who can create or make something happen. With emphasis on the backfield players, if I see another person trap the ball and try to dribble around a striker, I'm going to be pissed. You should be smashing the B button before the ball gets close to you. As a general rule, CBs should NEVER take the ball up field (you have at least 3 guys in front of you) and sidebacks should support their wing player in front of them.

- With as many people as we had on last night, defenders and CMs have no business ever being inside the box with the only exception being some wacky run where someone intercepts the ball and has a clear line of sight to the goal. There was a number of instances where someone got in the way of a ST or CAM in the box. Get your ass out of the way and support your scorers.

- CBs should never cross the halfway line during an offensive attack. To Bryan's point, chipped thru balls with fast STs will lead to 1-on-1s with the keeper almost every time. You can't catch them offsides on their own side of the field, so give your self some room to defend the pitch. This doesn't mean that you can't cross it to come head the ball on GKs and the like, but you better be sure to get to the ball and then get back to holding the line.

- The crosses need to come in earlier if we have them on a run. Attackers shouldn't have to stop in the box every time. Send in the early balls and let a sprinting ST or CAM get a hold of it.

- Pass the effin' ball. There are really only 3-4 people on our squad who can actually get around someone. Even then, it's very difficult. Utilize triangle passing lanes and drop backs to create space rather than trying some skill move over a delayed connection.

Thoughts on wed nights:

- The defensive line play was bad, but (again, this is probably my fault) we ended up with just some new guys back there. That won't happen again.

- I will disagree with Moon on the runs. I still think some people are making dumb runs that take them into the same area as either the guy on the ball or a defender. It's not every offensive attack, but it's pretty common. If you are on the ball up the sides, you have to make a defender either commit to the ball or a man up the pitch. If he stays with the guy running ahead of you, take the ball up the side and cross it in. If he plays the ball then utilize triangle passing or give and gos to play up the side. I promise, it's not hard and if everyone stays in position, it is highly effective.

- Play your damn position. The middle of the field got really, really murky. People were too far forward and, as a result, some front players had to play too far back. CMs should be at a minimum half defensive minded. Your job is to create plays and distribute the ball on offense and put an end to offensive attacks on defense. One CM should be a CDM and should never leave too far past the middle circle. Cole did a great job of this role. Face is a natural here and probably will be playing more of that role. The other CM is not a CAM. It's job is to support the movement of the ball either up the sides or to the CAM and pick up the trash from set pieces. I think some people are over complicating your roles. I've tried to switch guys around to get some guys a chance to score goals and some other some defensive time. You'll see more of this.

5. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

I hear what your saying about early crosses however I won't cross the ball if I feel it's an easy block for the defender, also I am always looking in the box for movement and who's in space to try n deliver quality balls for you guys. I look at who's running where n where their defenders are to achieve this.

Keeper
    What can I say a real superstar of our team. Always make some fantastic saves every time he plays but he's just too fucking quiet still lol. It does hurt me to hear you upset when you let in 1 of those bullshit Fifa goals when you just made 5 or 6 superb stops lol.

Defence
    I think 1 guy needs to be named as a no1 defender that the others take their orders from. All top teams do this, his job is to keep the back 4 in a line etc. All other defenders look at where he is and keep to his line thus making life easier for the defenders.

Cm's
    1 of the most important roles for the cm's is to slow down opposition breaks which gives the defenders a chance to pick men up and access who is where n get organised. A few seconds of slowing down the opposition by a cm makes a huge difference to effective defending.

Forwards
    When we are approaching the box if your in space and a good option to play the ball to please call for it ie near post, penalty spot, far post etc because this makes things easier for us side men. I do loose the ball at times cos looking in the box to see whats on and don't always see the tackle come in. Also early crosses are good if their is enough room between their back 4 and keeper for the ball else they will just be an easy clear. However I will work on these and use them if I feel the situation is right. I don't think are runs are their yet but better we seem to have 1 run straight towards the box, personally I would like to see some more diagonal or cross over runs causing confusion for their defenders and splitting them etc.

To Drifter
    In the whole time we've played together you have never known what I am going to do because I don't most of the time lol. I kind of like feel my way etc always looking for space and where that is at the time. The best thing is if you see some open grass be it inside or wing that's probably where il be heading but I can't promise were looking at the piece of grass lmao.

Pro's
    I agree a few careful hand picked accomplishments will not only take you to about the 80 mark they will make your life much easier as well.

1 other point I would like to make is that it wasn't 3 defenders on that guy cos I was 1 of them lol.

Also at times I think we are a little to hard on the new guy's as they need games to settle in n get used to how we play etc etc. We don't want to discourage someone that could be a great asset for our club in the future.

Summary
    To get better we must first be better at keeping our shape n holding our positions and communicating. When that happens we will have better passes to play and more options. I also have to say we are far better than last year lets not get too down on ourselves. I have too agree though at times it is frustrating when we all know were better than the team were facing but don't get the win etc. It's a funny old game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

1 other thing id like to mention is when we have a player pressuring the ball the guys behind need to shut down surrounding players and not leave a pass on. For instance their keeper throws the ball to a CB Drifter pressures him side mids cover side backs cm's cover cm's, if he has no pass on he has to thump it up field which 1 of 2 things wel either win the ball with Drifter or cut out a poor pass or pick up the thumped ball thats 3 chances to win the ball back and if we manage 1 of the first 2 were high in their half to start with, This is something we need to do better at on throwings deep in their half etc as well. After all look how it affects n rattles us when we get it done well against us.

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The reason I like the early crosses is that you get an extra bit of curve on them and they actually swerve right around the defender. Plus, with human goalies, it's near impossible to stop a header or volley with that sort of pace.

Honestly, when I run the sides, I take one glance down to see where everyone is running and then as soon as I get a breathe I let it fly. Pinpointing the box is tough work, especially when there are several people in the box that shouldn't be (a big reason your crosses were landing at the top of the box and not penalty spot). Just let it fly, someone will run under it.

8. MoonBBad

Everyone has their own style with the crosses. But, I will say that once I discovered the early cross, and started using it in clubs, I have had a ton of success with it. It really does play a great ball a lot of the times, pending you got the direction and power correct.

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

One suggestion I have defensively is playing a deeper line to cut out the balls over the top. Instead of keeping our backs pushed up to the center line and giving them a ton of space over the top what if we dropped our center backs back to maybe the back edge of the circle, and leave our outside guys up at the center line to give support. This would allow our center backs to roam and cut out balls over the top more often, while still giving some support from the backs when its needed. It would make communication a lot easier as well, only having to keep 1 other guy in line with you instead of all 4 backs which is extremely difficult at times. And it would also give our center mids more space, which is why I feel like they get pushed up so high sometimes. When our CBs get pushed up it forces the CM mids up to try to find space, which crowds our guys up top. Feel free to tear this idea apart :) Just throwing it out there. I'm really not sure if it would work in a match situation, but it sounds like it would work in my head.

10. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

oh those where new guys with me on the defensive line last night?

11. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

And I like Dels thing for the defensive captain, we should poll on someone

12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

When were you on the defensive line? :eek:

Also I think it might be good to look at a new formation. we get clogged in the middle a ton, something like a 4-1-3-2. Your standard 4 back but a defined CDM. The CB's need to never get ahead of anyone on our team ever but since it happens a lot the CDM will have to just be a quick guy who can sprint back and forth and try to cove half the pitch. The 3 regular mids will be standard quoe, the left and right wings will run down the sideline and the CM will stay back since we never attack from the middle anyways. Then two guys up front who NEED to stay back and make runs towards space not just sprint up field towards the box.

Either way we only play one night a week so we can't expect miracles here, so just have some fun and relax for a few hours.

13. Bryan Colmenares

Bryan Colmenares Walk On

Left Center Back..that night,that's where I was ...and i couldn't see anyone on the right sides gamertag which could explain some of it...plus I've only saw their names several times in the lobby...didn'y know they were NEW new players