Week 1 Cardinals 27 Panthers 24

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by biggcoug65, Sep 17, 2011.

1. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Cardinals won great game Fred Paul...just kidding bamagrad...

The Cardinals and Panthers opened up their seasons with new hopes riding on their new QB's. The Cardinals took the opening kickoff and had a good opening drive until Andre Roberts fumbled after he had caught a pass good enough for a first down, and Sherrod Martin for the Panthers recovered. But the Arizona D held strong, forcing a punt out of Carolina. Arizona would not be stopped on their next possession, with Wells running the ball up the middle, and Kolb throwing to Roberts and Heap to get the Cards into the RedZone. From there, rookie running back Ryan Williams subbed in for a tired Beanie Wells, and punched it in from 2 yards out for the games first score. Cardinals 7 Panthers 0.

That would not deter the Panthers, as they ran the ball consistently down the throat of the Cardinals D, and DeAngelo Williams added a 2 yard rushing TD of his own.

The Cardinals added a field goal, making it 10-7, and stopped the next Carolina attack forcing a punt. Arizona then executed the 3 minute offense (yes 3 minute), and drove down the field, hitting Roberts and Heap again with passes over the middle. With :34 seconds left, Kolb found Roberts again for a 12 yard touchdown pass to put the Cardinals up 17-7. Carolina then hit on a couple deep passes and got into field goal range and Mare put one through from 35 yardsout to make the score 17-10 at the half.

Carolina took the second half kickoff and went down the field until the Cardinals recovered a fumble from Cam Newton on a scramble.
    Kolb again found Andre Roberts for a 15 yard TD pass midway through the 3rd quarter to make it 24-10.

Carolina would fight back again, though, cutting down the field with precision runs and passes, and DeAngelo Williams busted a 21 yard TD run with :34 seconds left in the 3rd, making it a one score game again.

Carolina would get a stop, and force a Cardinal punt on the next possession, but could not do anything with the ball on offense as they too had to punt it away. Arizona then took the ball downfield, where the drive stalled at the Carolina 22 yard line, forcing a 37 yard field goal to put the Panthers all but out of reach, with the Cards up 2 scores with only 2:53 left to play in the game.

Cam Newton took the Panther offense quickly down field, however, and scored on a 42 yard TD pass to David Gettis, bringing the game to within a field goal!

However, the Panthers could not recover the onside kick, and the Cards had to take 2 knees to end the game.

Stats:

Passing:
    Kolb (ARI) - 19/27 307 yards 2 TD's 0 INT's
    Newton (CAR) - 19/28 293 yards 2 TD's 0 INT's

Rushing:
    Wells (ARI) - 23 for 67 yards 0 TD's
    R. Williams (ARI) - 2 for 18 yards 1 TD
    D. Williams (CAR) - 14 for 74 yards 1 TD

Receiving:
    Roberts (ARI) - 7 catches for 97 yards 2 TD's
    Heap (ARI) - 6 for 99 yards 0 TD's
    Fitzgerald (ARI) - 4 for 78 yards 0 TD's
    Olsen (CAR) - 8 for 94 yards 0 TD's
    Gettis (CAR) - 3 for 121 1 TD

Defense:
    Lenon and Bradley (ARI) - 9 tackles each
    P. Peterson (ARI) - 4 tackles 1 Fumble Recovery
    Martin (CAR) - 10 tackles 1 FF
    Anderson (CAR) - 19 tackles 1 FR

Players of the game:

Kevin Kolb and Andre Roberts for ARI
    Cam Newton, Martin, and Anderson for CAR

Great game, I look forward to playing you again in the NFC South!

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

SCAM with 300 yards and 2 TD's. But a loss. Just like in real life.

3. Fred Paul

Fred Paul Walk On

That was a fun game. I got to do better with the guy I'm controlling. You were eating me up. Good win. Look forward to playing you again.

4. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

you were doing great at stuffing the run...but pass coverage is tough man...

5. Fred Paul

Fred Paul Walk On

No kidding. 3 different times I'm like I got Heap, I got Heap, and then Heap starts to cut and the ball is there and I didn't have Heap after all. LOL. I'm looking at the stats and I realize I didn't even throw to S. Smith once. That's a great gameplan there. Anyway, great game and if I ever need another sub during the season, I'd love to have you beat me with a different team.

6. Fred Paul

Fred Paul Walk On

The stats on myleaguemanager show a 4 yard pass from your LE to your MLB. I don't remember that play.

7. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

me either...it showed that on mine also. didnt happen

8. Fred Paul

Fred Paul Walk On

Injury Report:
    Considine Broken Thumb 1 week
    Godfrey Dislocated ankle 4 weeks
    Hogan Abdominal Tear 3 weeks.

My secondary isn't that great to begin with, now down 3 men. Gotta go pick up a SS. Both out next week.

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

Holy moley. That sucks man.