Week 1: Chiefs (17) vs. Ravens (0)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 1: Chiefs (17) vs. Ravens (0)

Defense calling card in Chiefs victory

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

Well, the first game in the new regime of Coach Winuvas went just as the coach probably wanted: lots of defense, lots of running, and very low scoring. In a bonus, the new coach also netted his first victory of his coaching career in a 17-0 slugfest in Baltimore against the strong Ravens.

The game started like a classic heavyweight fight, with both teams exchanging jabs to determine the other's weakness, keeping the playbook close to the vest. After a scoreless first quarter, the Chiefs got on the board first with a 7 yard touchdown pass from QB Matt Cassel to WR Dwayne Bowe. That was the only scoring of the first half as both squads tried to firmly establish their running attack against stalwart defenses.

The second half saw some adjustments from the Chiefs in their passing game, taking the reins off a bit and letting Cassel work the secondary. It had its good and bad points - the good being a drive that led to another touchdown in the 4th quarter, the bad being an interception.

The Ravens could not get anything going against the pressure laden attack thrown at them by the Chiefs. Two turnovers, a fumble and an interception, did not help them as they gained just 161 yards of total offense. The Chiefs in victory only gained 229 yards of total offense.

"This was a physical contest," Coach Winuvas said in his post-game press conference. "The Ravens are a high-quality, talented bunch. They will bounce back. We have to not read the press clippings and focus our energy on game planning the Oakland Raiders."

The Chiefs (1-0) face Oakland at Arrowhead in KC, while the Ravens (0-1) go to San Diego to face the Chargers.

Chiefs Offense:
    QB Matt Cassel 10-13 121 yds 1 TD/1 INT
    HB Larry Johnson 26 att 72 yds 1 TD
    WR Mark Bradley 3 catches 26 yds

Ravens Offense:
    QB Joe Flacco 11-18 124 yds 0 TD/1 INT
    HB Willis McGahee 13 att 38 yds 5 catches 54 yds
    WR Derrick Mason 3 catches 31 yds

Chiefs Defense:
    ROLB Zak Deossie 1 sack
    DE Tyson Jackson 1 FF
    CB Brandon Flowers 1 INT

Ravens Defense:
    ROLB Terrell Suggs 1 sack
    ROLB Paul Kruger 1 INT
    RE Haloti Ngata 4 tackles

2. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Wow chiefs, maybe that complete roster overhaul was worth it!

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

We'll see against Washington. I have played that owner before. He makes me very nervous. I'm nervous against everyone mind you, with a whole whopping 4 games of Madden online experience under my belt...but playing someone and then coming back around...

Just gotta do like Coach Winuvas says. One game at a time.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

lol Wow Coach Winuvas must NOT pay attention to the next game on the schedule. Washington isn't until week 6. OAKLAND is the next game on the schedule.

What the heck was I looking at?

5. antoine66

antoine66 Guest

Good write up Winuvas.(y)