Week 1 Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Sabo, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Week 1 Game Summaries

Post your week 1 game summaries here.

2. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

San Diego State Aztecs (1-0) 52 vs. FCS Midwest Dragons (0-1) 7

The Aztecs handled the at home Dragons today by a final score of 52-7. Brandon Sullivan lead the attack for the Aztec offense carrying the ball for 168 yards on 19 carries and hitting pay dirt 3 times. Ryan Lindley threw for 266 yards and 3 scores, although it was evident he was not hitting the target at times. "I hope its just first game jitters for Ryan" said Coach E, "Normally he isnt missing the target like that, so im sure he'll rebound coming into week 2."

The two key plays for the Aztec offense were a 60 yd. touchdown run in the first quarter by Brandon Sullivan and a 68 yd. punt return for a touchdown by Derek Mack.

San Diego State's defense caused 3 turnovers, and BJ Williams lead the way with 2 sacks. Williams is hoping to be a surprise in the NCAA this year and compete with the league leaders for sacks. Coach E stated that he is "hopeful the defense will perform this way week in and week out, although the competition will get much tougher."

Watch the Aztecs travel to Las Cruces, New Mexico to take on the Aggies next week as Coach E looks for his 2nd victory as a collegiate coach.

3. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

Great write up Gadz! Thanks for the report. Good read.

4. JVrazorback

JVrazorback Walk On

Memphis @ Miss st

Memphis QB Tyler Bass displayed poise in the pocket and threw 4 tds vs a suspect Miss st d. Coach jv razorback was pleased with the offense, but said the defense has a long way to go. even after a big win coach jv expresed his dipleasure with the defense and his defensive cordinater. Saying " This kind of defense play will not be tolerated at the University of Memphis, and our d will pay for it in practice next week."

The tiger back field combined for over 290 rushing yards in tonights game in Mississippi. The Tigers star running back Lance Smith went down in the 3rd qtr with a minor injury and never returned. Tiger RB Gregory Ray came in and rushed for over a hundred yrds in the 4th qtr to seal the win for Memphis by the final score of 52-32.

5. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Great recaps guys. Looks like were going to have some explosive offenses this year.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

Oklahoma Sooners (1-0) 34 vs Utah State Aggies (0-1) 0

Utah State was crushed today by the Oklahoma Sooners on a rain soaked field in Norman Oklahoma.

Oklahoma led by their starting QB Landry Jones had an easy time dominating an out classed Aggies team.

While there was not much to be said about this terrible game, Coach B wanted to mention the strong game of QB Diodre Borel going 9 for 24 and 108 yards and 1 interception.

We may have lost big today but the season is young and we will keep fighting!

7. Tiger171

Tiger171 ONE FULL SEASON WITH NO TF's!! VICTORYYYY!!

Week 1 Post Game Summary-Wofford Terriers at Ohio University Bobcats

Wofford Terriers (0-1) 14
    Ohio University Bobcats (1-0) 59

Offensive Standouts

QB Boo Jackson
    10/13 182yds 3TD
    3 carries 11yds 1TD

HB Vince Davidson
    10 carries 43 yds (Left game in 3rd Quarter)

HB Joey Inks
    10 carries 145yds 2TD

HB Donte Harden
    5 carries 100yds 1TD

WR/KR Lavon Brazill
    4rec 63yds 2TD
    139 return yds 1TD

WR Steven Goulet
    3rec 86yds 1TD

Defensive Standouts

MLB Noah Keller
    6Tkls 2 Tkls for loss

LE Dak Nosestine
    5Tkls 2.0 sacks

ROLB Eric Benjamin
    3Tkls 1.0 sack

The offense was dealt a heavy blow when starting HB Vince Davidson left the game early in the 3rd quarter with what appers to be a torn pectoral muscle. The senior tailback is expected to miss 9-10 weeks. Junior tailback Donte Harden stepped in and showed flashes of explosiveness erupting for 100yds on just 5 carries with a 60 yard scamper late in the 3rd. Senior Joey Inks carried most of the load in the 4th also breaking out with a 63 yard run. The passing game was fairly vanilla in this early season matchup with only 15 pass plays being utilized in this game. We caught up with Ohio Head Coach Garrison after the game for his thoughts:

"Good game from my guys all around but we can improve all around as well! We got off to a sloppy start but we settled into a groove midway through the 1st I think. Offense showed signs of greatness at times and then at times we looked like we didn't even know we were on a football field! Boo Jackson did what we asked of him and took care of the ball, Lavon Brazill made some really big plays in the 1st half. We got some bad news early in the 2nd half about Vince but this is football and these guys are gonna get hurt. Donte and Joey stepped up to the plate when asked and that's what our football team is going to have to all year long is STEP UP! This was just one game and that's how we're going to prepare all year one game at a time. I'll see you guys next week!"

Team Stats
    Wofford​
    Ohio Bobcats​
    8​
    First downs
    14​

222​
    Total Offense
    488​

84​
    Rushing Yards
    306​

138​
    Passing Yards
    182​

1/13 (15%)​
    3rd Down Conv.
    3/6 (50%)​

1/1 (100%)​
    4th Down Conv.
    0/0 (0%)​
    1​
    Turnovers​
    1​

8. trustandfall

trustandfall Walk On

Im really liking the detailed reports guys... Very nice. Ill be posting mine tomorrow on my SMU @ Texas Tech game.

Utah State, you had one hell of a game in front of you.. I wouldn't be too worried about it. And it does sound like your QB could explode against a team more on par with all of ours.

Nice one Ohio.. I watched the Highlights.. That wideout of yours with the return TD seems to be a beast.

9. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Nevada Wolf Pack (1-0) 75
    FCS East (0-1) 7

Offensive Standouts

QB Colin Kaepernick
    7/8 181yds 2TD
    6 carries 14yds

HB Via Taua
    12 carries 176 yds 3TD
    3rec 90yds 1TD

HB Lampford Mark
    9 carries 176yds 3TD

WR Chris Wellington
    3rec 72yds 1TD

Defensive Standouts

CB Khalid Wooten
    27yrd INT Return for TD

CB Thaddeus Brown
    86yrd Fumble Return for TD

This game was never in doubt, as Nevada scored early and often. After a somewhat lethargic first quarter, the Wolf Pack turned up the heat in the 2nd quarter, putting up 31 points before FCS East knew what hit them. "FCS East fought hard and I appreciate their effort. We just came in here with a better game plan and I am glad that we ended up with the win," said Coach Nguyen.

With the game out of reach after two quarters, Nevada subbed in their entire 2nd team for both the offense and the defense at the half. Unfortunately for FCS East, the offensive prowess of the Wolf Pack was just as strong. Backup Lampford Mark put on a series of dazzling runs, resulting in touchdowns of 29, 54, and 38 yards.

Despite the offensive fireworks in the second half, Coach Nguyen could be seen howling on the sideline at his defense, and for good reason. The starters didn't allow FCS East to get a first down the entire first half, but the same could not be said for the second team after halftime. Time and again, the second team defense allowed FCS East to gain massive yards. If not for two timely turnovers forced by the Wolf Pack, FCS East would have scored more than one TD in the second half. "You were watching the same game as me...our defense was atrocious. Just absolutely abysmal. These players come into the game with a big lead and lose their focus...unacceptable!" screamed Coach Nguyen as he left the field.

Column 1
    Nevada / FCS East
    1st Downs 17 / 28
    3rd down efficiency 0 / 12.5
    4th down efficiency 0 / 100
    Total Yards 634 / 383
    Passing 197 / 127
    Completion Attempts 8 - 11 / 15 - 32
    Yards Per Pass 17.91 / 3.97
    Rushing
    Rushing Attempts 28 / 28
    Yards Per Rush 12.79 / 2.75
    Turnovers 1 / 4
    Fumbles Lost 0 / 2
    Interceptions Thrown 1 / 2
    Possession 13:54 / 20:44

10. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Final Score:
    UTEP 56 - FCS WEST 9

The Miners start slow but finish with a bang. It took all the way up to the closing minutes of the first quarter for the Miners to get on the board and after that they never looked back. The offensive was led by the ground attack of D. Buckram and V. Frazier, who combined to rack up more then 300 yards and 6 TDs on the ground, as the veteran offensive line produced holes big enough for a semi to drive through. Although the ground attack was firing on cylinders Coach Summes was less then happy with the quarterback play. "He's a veteran guy, a team leader. We need him to produce every game and be smart with the ball." All this was in reference to QB T. Vittatoe's less then adequate play behind center, going 9-13 through the air for only 83 yards and 2 interceptions on the day.

On the defensive side of the ball it was a bend but don't break scenario for UTEP. The Miners gave up 30 first downs and 437 yards of total offense but only let their opponent in the end zone once. The defensive charge was led by sophomore standout, defensive back, Drew Thomas who scored more points on defense then his opponents did all game ( 21 yard option-pitch interception for a TD and a 55 yard interception return for a TD). Holding down the trenches was impressive play from R. Soleyjacks who had 4tfl, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. When asked about his decision to change the defense prior to the start of the season this is what Coach Summes had to say,"Look at the outcome, why wouldn't I be happy? The team's defense was just a mess last year and something had to change. I'm real excited to see what Soley and Drew are gonna be able to do with this new scheme we're implementing. It seems like them and the rest of the defense are taking to it real quick."

If UTEP can keep this play up and bowl game is inevitable.

Offensive Player of the Game:

D. Buckram: 15carries- 203yards- 13.5avg- 3tds

Defensive Player of the Game:

Drew Thomas: Forced fumble for a TD- Interception for a TD

11. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

Auburn's Spread Offense wreaks Havoc on Red Wolves
    On Saturday the Red Wolves lead by new head Coach Sabo entered the game with Auburn with high hopes. Those hopes were shattered by an Auburn spread attack that showed no mercy. The Tigers went to the halftime break with a 21-7 lead and never looked back. The Red Wolves attempted a 4th Qtr comeback after putting up 14 unaswered points but it was too little too late.

Coach Sabo had this to say after the loss. "There are alot of factors we can blame for todays performance the rain, the poor defensive coverage, the dropped passes, and the list can go on and on. But there is one thing that can be to blame and that is ME. I failed to prepare my team to handle what they were up against and for that I have failed them as a coach. No blame should go towards my players it goes towards me. I will however never fail to have a ready team come game time. We will bounce back and be ready for next weeks challenge."

Final score at Auburn - Auburn 37 Arkansas State 21

Next week UL Lafayette comes to Jonesboro to take on the Red Wolves in a Sun Belt Conference battle.