Week 1: Jags 52, Titans 9

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, May 5, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Week 1: Jags 52, Titans 9

Jaguars Maul Titans

May 5th, 2010
    By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

JACKSONVILLE, FL- It was supposed to be a gritty, hard fought battle between two bitter AFC South Rivals. It was supposed to be. . .

However, today was one of those rare occassions when every little thing wen right for the Jaguars, while for Tennessee everything that could go wrong did. The Jaguars forced four turnovers and sacked Titan quarterback Vince Young seven times in what was a microcosm of the day for the visitors from Nashville.

"I'm proud of the way our guys came out to play today," said Coach Dunlap in his post-game press conference. "I do want to say I feel for Coach Ox and the guys in blue. While we are certainly rivals here in the (AFC) South, I've been on the other side of a few of these myself, and its always painful. I'm sure one day if we coach long enough against eachother he'll get me like this."

Jacksonville started the day with the football, and that retooled offense wouldn't look good early as they went three and out and were forced to punt. That turned out not to be such a bad thing as rookie wideout Tavadis Purcell fumbled on the return and it was picked up by Tyron Brackenridge who strolled into the endzone for the first score of the game.

Things would just get worse for the Titans. Jacksonville would score twice more in the first quarter on a field goal and a 38 yard strike from Drew Brees to Smith. Tennessee would be shut out in the quarter and the first quarter would end with the Jaguars on top 17-0.

The second quarter also belonged to Jacksonville. Their defense allowed only a field goal and their offense was just as good. Rookie DeShawn Tull would catch his first career touchdown and Maruice-Jones Drew would also add a score. Add that to a defensive touchdown, and only a Titans field goal and the halftime score was 38-3.

Coach Dunlap must have remembered what the Titans have done to division rivals in the past after getting down by big margins in the first half. Tennesse came back from 28 point deficits multiple times the past season, including their playoff clinching win last season over the Colts.

"I reminded my guys not to get soft in the second half, as that team seems to play lights out in the second half, and we know what kind of comebacks they are capable of," he said.

The defense responded with a stop on the first series of the half, then the offense would use one quick strike to Smith woud would catch and run 85 yards for the touchdown.

Realizing that they now had enough of a buffer even against the Titans, Coach Dunlap pulled his starters and sat on the ball the rest of the way.

In a nice show of sportsmanship, Clint Ingram picked off a pass last in the 4th quarter and instead of scoring what could have been a rub it in touchdown he took it out of bounds. However the plan only half worked, as 5 halfback and fullback dives later the Jags would once again find the endzone to make the final score 52-9.

Jacksonville used the offseason to retool the defense, and add receiving threats to go alongside All-Pro wideout Steve Smith. The additions were evidenent today, with Ty Warren and Sean Merriman drawing double teams and freeing up defensive end Patrick Kerney for three sacks. Newly aquired cornerback Antonio Cromartie was matched up against the explosive Kenny Britt all day, and he was up to the challenge allowing Britt only one reception and intercepting a pass late in the first half for a 95 yard touchdown. Rookie Tavadis Purcell caught one ball for a 33 yard touchdown, and new tight end Kevin Boss was effective in the run game and also caught two important passes.

However the star of this game was Steve Smith, who returned to form catching five passes for 193 yards and two touchdowns. Maruice Jones-Drew seemed to get back to his 2010 MVP form, rushing for 138 yards and a touchdown.

The Jaguars continue their intra-division battles next week as they travel to Indianapolis to face the Colts.

---------------------------------------------------------

TEAM STATS

Jaguars
    Total Offense: 421
    Rushing: 156
    Passing: 265
    3rd Down: 5/9
    TO: 1
    Time of Possession: 16:43

Titans
    Total Offense: 227
    Rushing: 80
    Passing: 147
    3rd Down: 6/13
    TO: 4
    Time of Possession: 15:18

PLAYER STATS

Jaguars
    D. Brees: 10/14, 262 yds, 3 TD
    M. Jones-Drew: 19att, 138yds, 1 TD
    S. Smith: 5 rec, 195yds, 2 TD
    P. Kerney: 5 tack, 3 sacks

Titans
    V. Young: 12/27, 174yds, 3 INT
    C. Johnson: 15att, 55yds
    T. Purcell: 4 rec, 56yds
    M. Klem: 3/3 FG

HIGHLIGHT REEL: http://www.easports.com/media/play/highlight-reel/19712410

2. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Wow, Hell of a game dunlap. Steve Smith looked like a beast! How did you do the highlight reel?

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

DUNLAP SMASH AAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! :bangnana:

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

Wow these crazy bannanas are showin up everywhere now lol.

5. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

:thingnana::dance nana::elephant:

6. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

stop it plz

7. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

gg, your right dunlap, it burned pretty bad, my worst lost EVER in madden 2010 to an average at best madden player

8. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

[​IMG]

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

Dang I'd hate to see how bad he loses to a good player. Maybe Ox should spend a few seasons in the 'D' league. . .we could create one for him.

10. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ouch... umm, what's this all about?

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

Just a little good natured AFC South ribbin that's all :)