Week 1: Jaguars (24) Colts (20)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 1: Jaguars (24) Colts (20)

Just an epic battle with my good divisional rival, Mustang.

Details to follow.
  2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Jaguars Rally to Beat Defending AFC Champs

Jaguars Rally to Beat Defending AFC Champs
    By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

It seemed like same old Jaguars. They were playing valiantly, but still they just couldn't seem to get any momentum against their rivals, the Indianapolis Colts.

Even after an early blitzkreig of scoring when they went up 14-0 midway through the first quarter, they seemed to play tight, like they were playing with something to lose. After going up by two scores, Jacksonville wouldn't score on their next four possessions, including two missed field goals from rookie Justin Price. Meanwhile the Colts would start to find their rythm by using screen passes to Teddy Ginn Jr., and running the ball effectively with Brian Westbook and rookie Giovanni Girley.

The teams would go into he halftime locker room tied at 14, but all the momentum was with the Colts. Jacksonville was deflated, as they couldn't do anything againt the outstanding Cover 3 schemes of Indianapolis.

However, as was the case throughout all of last season it was their defense that rose to the occassion and would keep the Jaguars in the game but playing an excellent bend but don't break style. They would give up their fair share of rushing yards, in fact more than a Jacksonville team coached by Coach Dunlap has ever given up. But they tortured Peyton Manning all day long with zone blitzes and heavy downfield coverage, so much so that he would only throw for 89 total yards in the game, the lowest output in his career.

That style of defense would keep Jacksonville in the game, where after teams alternated field goals they would get their offense the ball back with a chance to take the lead. However new quarterback Drew Brees was picked off for the second time, setting up Indianapolis deep in Jaguar territory. Again, the defense answered the call as they would make a stand inside their own territory to force a third and goal. Manning would look to find Ginn Jr. in the right corner of the endzone and he made what appeared to be a spectacular catch along the sideline for the score. However, the officials would confer and rule Ginn out of bounds, and with no way to challenge the Colts would settle for the field goal to put them up 20-17 with just over 3:00 to play.

Drew Brees wanted to show the reason Jacksonville made a blockbuster offseason trade to bring him in. He has been mediocre at best all day, throwing one touchdown but being picked off twice. He and halfback Maurice Jones-Drew would work the ball near midfield and set up a third down play. Brees would find TE Joe Klopfenstein with a bullet pass rght on the money, but Klopfenstein would drop the pass and to make it 4th and 11 at midfield. Needing what seemed to be a miralce, they would dial up a play deep over the middle to litte used Troy Williamson, and the speedster would leap between three defenders to make the catch and keep the drive alive.

A couple of plays later, Steve Smith would get into the action, breaking open across the middle and Brees again would throw a strike for a big gain to set up Jacksonville inside the 10 with less than a minute to play. Two plays later fullback Tony Richardson would pound it in from one yard out with less than 20 seconds left to give Jacksonville the improbable comeback victory.

"What a win for this football team," said Dunlap. "It wasn't pretty, but we kept fighting. Everybody was talking about our offense heading into this year, but without a doubt it was our 'Dirty Dawgs' on defense that earned us this victory. There's no better group in this league. Hats off to them."

It was also the big offseason offensive additions that shined in Week 1. Wide out Steve Smith had five catches for 76 yards and a touchdown. Receiver Chris Henry caught three balls for 66 yards. Future Hall of Fame fullback Tony Richardson scored the winning touchdown. And quarterback Drew Brees went a methodical 19-30 passing for 290 yards and a touchdown.

The monkey appears to finally be off their back. The win against their rivals should give them confidence heading into a brutal opening season schedule.

"I want to say hats off to Coach Mustang over there in Indy. While this is a tough rivalry, it's a friendly one. I enjoy playing them as much as anybody else. I'm just glad I don't have to play them more than twice 'cause they are tough as nails."

The schedule doesn't get any easier. The next seven weeks the Jags play the Bills, Titans, Texans, Giants, Chargers, Colts, and Chiefs. Only the Chargers have lost out of that group, but we know what the Chargers can do to Jacksonville (see last seasons divisional playoff game)

Total Offense: 256
    Passing: 290
    Rushing: 66
    3rd Down: 6-12 50%
    Turnovers: 3
    Time of Possession: 17:24

Total Offense: 266
    Passing: 89
    Rushing: 177
    3rd Down: 5-10 50%
    Turnovers: 2
    Time of Possession: 14:36

D. Brees 19/30, 290 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
    M. Jones-Drew 14 carries, 47 yards
    S. Smith 5 rec, 76 yards, 1 TD
    J. Dillard 4 rec, 79 yards

P. Manning 9/21, 92 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
    B. Westbook 12 carries, 91 yards
    G. Girley 6 carries, 72 yards
    T. Ginn 4 rec, 55 yards, 1 TD

4th and 11, Drew Brees passes to Troy Williamson to keep game winning drive alive.

3rd Down. Brees finds Steve Smith across the middle to set up the game winning score.
  3. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Sep 24, 2009
    good game dunlap, i didnt notice manning played so bad. I haven't involved Clark in my passing game since week 8 of last season. Time for things to change.