Week 1: Jaguars 38, Bears 10

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Fitz, Jennings Play Big Roles in Jags 38-10 Win vs. Bears

February 20, 2011

By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

Jackonsville, FL- It was a very unfamiliar look to this year’s Jaguars team, yet a very familiar result.

Jackonsville used big performances by Larry Fitzgerald and Rashad Jennings to maul the bears at home 38-10.

Fitzgerald’s first catch as a Jaguar – a remarkable leaping catch between 3 defenders, and then multiple broken tackles on a catch and run for a 48 yard touchdown.

He would score again in the second quarter as Matthew Stafford would fire a long strike down the right sidelines for a 39 yard touchdown catch.

Meanwhile, when eyes weren’t on Fitzgerald they were on third year halfback Rashad Jennings who has been pegged by Coach Dunlap to fill the void left by Maruice Jones-Drew as the Jaguars starting halfback. While many skeptics argued that Jennings doesn’t have the speed to be a starting halfback in the OMFL, he may have proved them wrong today.

Jennings ran over, around, and by Bears’ defenders en route to 156 yard rushing on 19 carries, including a powerful 69 yard rumble for a touchdown. During that run, Jennings plowed over two different Chicago linebackers and then outraced the speedy defense to the endzone.

The Jaguars defense would do the rest, pressuring Bears quarterback Jay Cutler all day while sacking him five times, and forcing him into five interceptions. Cutler finished just 15/36 for 177 yards and no touchdowns.

The lone Bears’ touchdown would come on an interception return by cornerback Corey Graham. That was one of two interceptions thrown by Stafford, who didn’t have his usual rhythm in the pocket.

“I was a little out of whack today,” Stafford said. “Once I get in line with Larry (Fitzgerald) I know there are going to be some special things in our passing game.”

Jacksonville now travel to Houston for a battle with the rejuvenated Texans who gave the Jaguars a balle late last season.