Week 1:Packers beat 49ers 23-20

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BLACKJ414, Dec 21, 2012.

1. BLACKJ414

BLACKJ414 Walk On

-GREEN BAY, WI

In one of the most highly anticipated games of the opening week of the NFL season, the Packers and 49ers both displayed a severe case of the dropsies. From two first down catches dropped by Packers WR James Jones, to a wide open TD catch dropped by 49ers TE Vernon Davis, drops were as contagious as the common cold on Sunday.

[​IMG]
    (Packers TE Jermichael Finley with a rare catch Saturday afternoon)

On top of that for Green Bay, they were out gained through the air surprsingly by the 49ers QB tandem of Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith 172 to 103. "I think we came out and pressed a bit too early." Rodgers said at his locker. "I feel that we came out and attempted to go for the knockout punch in the first round... we know better than that and we will make the right adjustments for Chicago."

Rodgers finished with only 127 yards passing including an interception on a poorly thrown ball behind his reciever.

[​IMG]

Although the Niners produced more yards through the air, the Packers as a team ran for over 100 yards including 15 rushes for 76 yards by new Packer Joe McKnight. "I'm kind of embarased by our performance stopping the run today." said 49ers LB Patrick Willis. "This isn't normal for our defense but give credit to Green Bay for staying committed to their gameplan."

NOTABLE STATS
    FRANK GORE 15 RUSHES 46 YARDS 1 TD
    VERNON DAVIS 4 CATCHES 84 YARDS 1 TD
    GREG JENNINGS 1 CATCH 47 YARDS
    CHRIS CULLIVER 1 INT
    DAVON HOUSE 1 SACK