Week 1 Rams vs Lions

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Anthrax78, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Aug 7, 2012

Lions Roll Rams in Season Opener, 42-0
    The traditionally disappointing Detroit Lions made a loud roar yesterday with a commanding 42-0 victory in front of the raucous Ford Field crowd. "We played great on the defensive side of the ball, but we need to limit our turnovers because that will kill us in close games" coach Martin Westcott commented.
    Detroit started the game with a combo rushing attack from Mikel Leshoure and Jahvid Best nipped and took yards given to them with an opening touchdown drive capped by a 5 yard run by Jahvid Best. The Rams looked to establish a running game but had no consistency with the Lions front 4 often getting penetration. The Lions held Steven Jackson to 65 yards on 14 carries. "Our defense set the tone against them. It was the real reason why we won today the way we did and I will take that kind of effort every week if I could." Coach Westcott said during the press conference after the game.
    The Lions looked to stab the Rams in the heart early but Matt Stafford was off his game, trying to fit throws into tight coverage that spelled 3 interceptions in the first half. "Coach Westcott showed me game pics during halftime of coverage they were showing me and it helped out" Stafford said "I was glad to get the win but I need to play better." In the second half Jahvid Best helped Stafford out with a big 86 yard touchdown run, his second of the day.
    The Lions kept pushing the throttle until early in the fourth quarter and Stafford, looking much sharper in the second half, hit newly signed free agent Plaxico Burress with a touchdown strike that sealed the victory. With the Lions keeping Sam Bradford anxious in the pocket and helping the Lions suspect secondary. "We will try to build off this win and polish some things for next weeks game. Against the 49'ers we better be prepaired!" Westcott concluded.
    The Lions gave Steven Jackson all he could handle yesterday​
    Stafford 17/29 345 yrds 3 TD 3 INT
    Bradford 6/24 50 yrds 1 INT
    Best 14 att 156 yrds 2 TD
    Leshoure 7 att 64 yrds 1 TD
    S. Jackson 14 att 65 yrds
    Johnson Jr 5 rec 75 yrds
    Burress 6 rec 95 yrds 1 TD
    Young Jr 1 rec 40 yrds 1 TD
    Gibson 1 rec 20 yrds
    S Jackson 3 rec 9 yrds