Week 1 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by phbaseball1335, Aug 4, 2010.

1. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

Week 1 Recruiting

Coming off of a 2-10 season in 2009, the Maryland coaches understand they will have a lot of work to do on the recruiting trail if they hope to pull in a solid class. Success on the recruiting trail is determined largely by the quality of the product on the field, and in recent years, Maryland has had trouble finding success in both areas. Will 2010 be the start of a new era or will Maryland continue its downward spiral?

With 11 seniors on the team and only 68 scholarship players altogether, Maryland has room to bring in 16 recruits. Positions that need to be filled with this class are Center, Middle Linebacker and Punter. With that information in mind, the Maryland staff targeted 23 prospects on their preseason recruiting board.

Without a doubt, the top two recruits on Maryland's board are DE Victor Price out of Parkville, MD and DT Bobby Hendrix from Cherry Hill, NJ. Both players are listed as four star recruits and would easily be Maryland's biggest pickups in several years if they were able to secure the commitments. It will be a fight though as Maryland currently sits third on the top 10 schools list for each player.

The remainder of Maryland's recruiting board consists of 21 three star players from various positions that the coaches hope will add some depth and talent to key positions.

In week 1, Maryland coaches hit the phones trying to think of ways to convince these young men why they should call the University of Maryland home for the next few years. In the end, the effort was not for nothing as the Terps picked up their first commitment of 2010.

Three star SS Todd Wilson from Highland Springs, VA committed to the Terps immediately after receiving the offer. Maryland coaches were pleased to hear about the commitment citing a strong work ethic and his eagerness to help turn the program around as reasons for the quick offer. Wilson is expected to redshirt his first year on campus as the Terps will have two upperclassmen ahead of him on the depth chart in 2011. After his redshirt year, Wilson will be given every opportunity to earn a starting spot in the secondary.

Is this commitment the start of a turnaround at College Park? It's too early to tell, but one thing is clear; the product on the field definitely needs to improve if Maryland hopes to start landing the high quality recruits necessary to compete with the big boys of the ACC and SEC.

2. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

Sorry for the double post. I got an error message and when I refreshed the page, both posts came up.

3. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I was wondering how many people would be as in to this as I want to be. I guess this answers my question. Awesome Stuff. Maybe this is the real college football season and what starts in early September is the video game. :)