Week 1: San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by CalebMackie, Sep 16, 2012.

1. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

Defense Wins Championships and Season Openers!

49ers 41 - 38 Packers

Here in this season opener we had a clash of two huge power houses of the NFC to see who will be number one. The 49ers came into this match up seeming on the downswing with the loss of their locker room presence, leader, and best football player on the team, Patrick Willis. Due to this loss it had a lot of people voting in the favor of the Packers for this match up but the 49ers will able to fight through adversity and win this tight match up.

The first play of the game would open up with a bad one for the 49ers as Frank Gore would fumble on a Clay Matthews hit. This would result in the Packers scoring an easy couple play drive from the 49ers 20 yard line, not only did this play change the score board but it changed the whole game for the 49ers. That following drive the 49ers continued to pound the rock, as usual, but Frank Gore would cough the ball up AGAIN from a Clay Matthews big hit that was thankfully recovered by the 9ers. This play would be a blessing in disguise for the 9ers though since Clay Matthews ended up breaking his jaw on said hit and he would not be able to return to the game leaving the right side of the field wide open for running lanes once more. The 49ers would eventually march down the field into the red zone but be stopped short to have to score a field goal. By the end of the 1st quarter the score would be 3-7 in the Packers favor but this would not last forever as the 49ers defense would finally strike back by intercepting Aaron Rodgers that would lead to another field goal for the 49ers. That would be the 1st of 5 interceptions Rodgers would throw throughout the entirety of this match up, the defense in this game was the difference maker for the 49ers. They were able to take a lead for small portion of time until the Packers were able to muster up a field goal in that quarter to make it 10-6

Now the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter was when things began getting haywire. The 49ers had the ball at their own 20 with about 2 minutes left in hopes to try and muster up some type of 2 minute offense which was short lived after Colin was sacked 2 times in a row leaving the offense having to punt the ball on their own 8 yard line. The Packers would get the ball in great field position but would not be able to do much of anything with it and would have to punt the ball themselves with about 50 seconds remaining. Now the 49ers would attempt to run the clock out but the Packers had some time outs they could still used and used them to force the 49ers to punt once more. The Packers would get the ball back with about 20 seconds remaining and they would attempt to march down the field at their own 30 yard line but Aaron would be picked off by Chris Culliver for a great return giving the 49ers great field positioning to score a touchdown with about 10 seconds left. The 49ers would run a hb toss to LaMichael James to make the score 13-10 at the end of the half.

The 3rd quarter was a quiet quarter scoring with both teams only scoring 7 a piece making the score 20-17 by the time it hit the 4th quarter everything opened up. Both teams would score 21 points in the 4th quarter alone. One of the biggest touchdowns of the game was a long drive led by Colin Kaepernick topping it off with a deep throw into the endzone to Randy Moss reminding everybody of the old days. The end result was 41-38, a high scoring match up that definitely lived up to the hype. Some said they were unsure about coach Mackie's choice of Colin being the starter for the 49ers this season but after his 264 passing yards with 3 tds and 0 interceptions it was pretty clear that Colin is proving critics wrong already.

49ers:
    Colin Kaepernick 264 yds 17-28 3tds 0 ints
    Frank Gore 16 att 83 yds 2 fumbles
    Randy Moss 6 red 91yds 1 td
    Chris Culliver 2ints

Packers:
    Aaron Rogers 513 yds 29-41 4tds 5ints
    James Starks 13 att 16 yds 1td
    Greg Jennings 9rec 166 yds
    Clay Matthews 2 TAK 2 FF

• Like Like x 2
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Good game caleb, you played a solid game. I would like to have those 27 seconds back at the end of the half. Should've taken a knee there, I know better. On that first pick, I threw it up to Cobb on the streak simply because I thought your LE had jumped offsides, obviously there was no flag so that was a poor choice. And like I messaged you, that last pick Nelson had beat your guy by at least 5 yards but then I threw a bullet instead of lobbing it over the top. Nelson probably could've scored on that, if I throw the right pass. Good game and good luck this season.

3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Wow, the game of the week lived up to the hype. Well done, guys.

• Like Like x 1