Week 10: San Diego @ Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by BirdDog1980, Oct 19, 2012.

1. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

San Diego - 24

Tampa Bay - 30

FINALLY, the losing streak is over for Tampa Bay! High fives, hugs, and a few kisses were handed out at the end of this one as the city of Tampa is in a state of celebration. After a terrible 0-4 October, Tampa pulled one out late and held on 30-24 to move to 5-4 on the season.

But it was not decided until the final seconds ticked off, as San Diego attempted a frantic comeback in the final minutes of the game. Tampa Bay lead 27-14 with just under 5 minutes to go in the game. San Diego had the ball on their own 15, following a Tampa punt. First play of the possession, Rivers connected with Malcom Floyd on about an 8 yard pass.. Floyd shook the initial defender, then shrugged off the Tampa CB.. LaVonte David came over and was right next to Floyd, but decided not to tackle him. Floyd outraced David all the way down the field.. then at about the 20 yard line, the SS Ahmad Black came over and was within arm reach of Floyd, and also refused to tackle him, allowing Floyd to go 85 yards for a very important and quick TD that left Coach Berding in a state of shock and confusion. (I really don't know what happened here... my guys were right there.. I was hitting the A button the whole way down the field.. they just simply didn't tackle lol)

On the following possession, with the score now 27-21 and about 4:30 remaining, Tampa got an uneasy feeling that maybe it was slipping away, especially with the bad luck they've been having in the past month. Tampa started out with a couple of running plays between the tackles, just to keep the clock moving. Josh Freeman would connect on a 3rd and 3 with Dallas Clark on a small hitch route that got him just enough yardage to keep the clock moving. After a couple more running plays, Tampa was faced with another 3rd down. Freeman found Vincent Jackson on a curl route and would get away from the defender and turn it into a nice 20 yd gain with the clock approaching the 2 Minute Warning. Tampa would go on and get it to the 2 yard line, but the Chargers would put up a very nice goal line stand and force Tampa to kick a FG with 1:05 remaining but with no more timeouts. Phillip Rivers put together a very nice efficient drive himself as the Chargers drove it down the field with come big completions to Floyd and Royal. They would get it to the Tampa Bay 4 yard line, but then Tampa would put up a goal line stand of their own. After 3 close incomplete passes, San Diego mad a wise choice to kick a FG on 4th and Goal with 15 secs remaining to make it 30-24 and give them a chance at the onside kick. The onside kick would be recovered on a 1 hop by Bear Pascoe, securing the 6 point win.

A few stats and side notes...

For the first time all season, Tampa did not commit a single turnover. Josh Freeman, while not having any TDs, he didnt have any INTs either. He went 15-19, for 257 yds and a 118.3 rating and completed passes to 7 different receivers. Vincent Jackson had 4 catches for 58 yds, and Dallas Clark also had 4 catches, for 72 yds.

Phillip Rivers went 8-19 for 285, 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Malcom Floyd terrorized the Tampa secondary with 3 recs for 135 yds and catching both Rivers TD passes.

Ryan Matthews had 11 carries for 67 yds and 1 TD

Doug Martin had 25 carries, 83 yds, 2 TDs

The Most Ridiculous Stat Line of the Week Award goes to LeGarrette "I'll Punch You In Your Face" Blount.. 6 carries... 1 yard... 1 TD... with an impressive 0.2 Yards Per Carry!

Tampa Bay had a big lead in the Time of Possession battle, mainly because of the running game and converting on 7 3rd downs in the game. TOP was 22:39 for Tampa, to 9:29 for San Diego.

In closing, I would like to say that this was an excellent sim game. One of the better ones that I've played. No gimmicky crap.. just pick a play, make a couple small adjustments at the line if neccessary, and run the play. I would love for every game to be as good as this one. This game could've gone either way. A Rivers INT just before half allowed Tampa to get a FG and take a 6 pt lead into the locker room. Take that away, and a couple of key drops by the Chargers WRs that killed a few drives, and it could've been a very different outcome.

GG Danny very well played sir. Good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  2. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

I enjoyed reading the recap! After winning 6 straight it was actually nice to read someone else recap the game. Loosing, not so nice....

The script was flipped on the Chargers as the success they have had controlling the clock was taken from them by a better prepared team this week. The Chargers have been accostomed to controlling the ball over 19 minutes in their 6 game winning streak only to have that number cut down to alittle over 9 minutes! I really felt like the game flew by and I barely had a chance on offense. The reason for this was the precise passing by Freeman. He completed some huge third down plays to keep the ball in his hands. These long sustained drives and two score lead forced the Chargers to get away from their usual run first offense and go to the air. Rivers had a decent day but just couldn't quite catch up after the Bucs went up by two td's.

I agree with BirdDog1980 This was a fun game to play. The Chargers are going to have to go back to the drawing board and figure out haw to get a win next week against the Broncos after loosing two straight...

• Like Like x 2