Week 11: Falcons 19 Giants 41

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 11: Falcons 19 Giants 41

Stewart Brings Down Dirty Birds

*NOTE: This was written with permission of, and with stats gotten from, Giants owner Dean.*

by Alonzo Piscitelli
    Blogger, New York Daily News

A bye week and a loss to the San Diego Chargers reminded the New York Giants what got them to an 8-0 record: run Johnathan Stewart on 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down, and maybe even fourth down. Keep quarterback Eli Manning limited in throws. Play rock solid defense with a solid front four and great secondary play. Win the game and go home happy.

Well, they definitely followed that formula in beating the Atlanta Falcons 41-19 this Sunday. Jumping out to a 14-3 first quarter lead, the Giants continued pushing running back Johnathan Stewart and punishing the Falcons defense all game long, never relinquishing the lead. A 28-6 halftime score got only worse for Atlanta, with Stewart coming back out and finishing what he started to take the Giants to a 41-19 victory.

Stewart continued his Pro Bowl form by getting the ball 33 times for 210 yards and 3 touchdowns. Quarterback Eli Manning only had to throw the ball 10 times, completing 8 of them for 110 yards and a touchdown. The two incomplete passes were interceptions, however.

The Falcons were kept completely off balance the entire game, and were unable to run the ball against the stalwart Giants front four. The Falcons mustered just 15 yards rushing, and Matt Ryan was their leading rusher with 10 yards. Michael Turner was completely ineffective, running 2 times for 0 yards.

The Falcons game plan was to throw on New York, and Matt Ryan was hit and miss with this idea. Ryan went 19 of 32 for 248 yards, with a touchdown and 2 interceptions, and was playing from behind the entire game. Tony Gonzalez caught 7 balls for 130 yards in a losing effort for the Falcons.

Ed Reed continued his Pro Bowl play that made him famous as a Baltimore Raven in this game, getting a forced fumble which led to one touchdown and an interception late to completely put the game out of reach.

The Giants head to Denver to take on the Broncos, while the Falcons take on divisional rival Tampa Bay in Tampa next week.

Stay up with Giants news on the franchise website:
  2. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Oct 8, 2009
    GG Dean. First drive shadowed my day as Roddy White dropped a sure TD catch on 3rd down forcing me to kick a FG. Then after Giants made it 14-3, Norwood fumbled on the first play at my 25 yard line. After Giants scored again (21-3) I forgot I had one of the best backs in the league to handoff to.