Week 11: Saints @ Raiders

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by CWT 3000, Oct 23, 2012.

1. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

New Orleans travels to Oakland and stuns the hometown crowd in a thriller.

Oakland kicked off to start the game. Saints were looking good until Brees forgot how to run an I form with Sproles coming in motion outta the back field and threw an ill-intentioned pass to the TE ( had a brain fart and thought Sproles would set before hicking it- so I hiked it, again right to Rolando McClain ). Oakland now has the ball and comes out running with McFadden. Saints were waiting all week to challenge McFadden and prove they could stop the best. His longest gain of the day would be 18 yards. "We'll call it a win in our books" said Coach Thomas. With MacFadden running early the Saints switched to more short zone coverage plays and the timing was perfect as Palmer's first pass attempt would get picked off! Still in the first quarter the Saints would march down and kick a FG for an early 3-0 lead. Oakland would once again lean on McFadden who couldn't find as much running room the first go and the Raiders punted. Saints would extract another FG and the announcers would question the 3rd down play calling in short yardage situations. Oakland would waist little time and start to open the playbook up a little. Palmer & McFadden would open the 2nd quarter with a nice display of balanced football and score to take a 7-6 lead.

Holy COW the crowd is rocking and the Raiders have momentum. On the Saints next possession Colston would take a mesh route on the very first play and get rocked to cause a fumble. The Oakland defender scooped it up and scored! Now the crowd is off the hook and the Saints are looking around trying to figure out what the fucks going on. Coach Thomas is livid and he's letting his team know it. Down 14-6 the Saints have let the Raiders take back control of the game and need to show some life. Brees and company would move down the field by using every route and and man available to get into the endzone finally and cut the lead to 14-13. Brees made a beautiful pass over the middle to Henerson... who made an even more spectacular catch by holding onto the ball. The Raiders would take the last few minutes of the half and tack on another FG. HALFTIME!

Oakland would drive down with the opening kick only to have DMC fumble the ball- and the Saints recovered! The Saints would take over and convert a few 3rd downs before settling for another FG and a 16-14 lead. By now both defenses were settling down and scores were hard to come by. The Raiders would take over and lean some more on DMC, but Palmer was off and the Raiders were forced to punt. Brees though returned the favor when Chimdi Chekwa made a crazy jump on a corner route and picked it off! Brees after the game said, "I should have thrown it inches higher to the WR- great catch by the defender though".

Now as the game transitions to a critical time in the middle of the 4th quarter both teams are gearing up for potential game winning drives. Palmer would have the first crack at it after the Chimdi INT. The Raiders would drive and cross the 50 and come close to scoring a TD, but had to settle for another FG. I think the Raiders played it safe and took the FG and the lead at 17-16. Brees would get a say in this outcome though. He'd lead a masterful drive down into Raider territory making great passes. Late in the drive Brees would find Moore on a Flood play and take it to the 1-yard line where FB Jed Collins would pound it in for a late lead 23-17 WoW, on the road and everything!! The Stadium goes quiet... but there is still just over 2-minutes left in the game. The Raiders come out and move the ball at ease with a few draws to DMC, but Palmer would make a mistake by not reading the double coverage deep down the sidelines for a Greer INT!!! Boom the Saints sideline goes crazy... but wait the Raiders have three (3) timeouts and there's still over a minute on the clock. Coach Thomas had a tough decision with the ball on their own 9-yard line. We called three running plays and forced Oakland to use all three TO. The Punter Morstead made an amazing punt by booting it deeeeeeepp and just out of bounds so Ford had no chance for a return:) Sigh of relief. The Raiders got the ball back, but NO timeouts. Palmer would try his hardest and drive Oakland into Saints territory, time was ticking away, tick, tick, tick... On a great sideline catch the Raiders were on the 5 yard-line and with seconds left on the clock. Oakland calls a draw play that almost worked but was stopped a few yards short. Palmer had to go no huddle and throws a quick incomplete pass in the enzone with 1 second on the clock and it's 4th down. Last play of the game and the Raiders need a TD to tie and the xp for the win. Coach Thomas dialed up a man blitz and put the blitzing defender in QB spy. Palmer takes the snap and looks for his trusty TE, but MLB Lofton was sitting in his window and forced the pass to fall to the ground in a tight match. Saints win 23-17. GG Kidofcrash23

Player of the game goes to WR Lance Moore- he played his heart out and virtually willed his team to victory. He had so many great catches that coach handed him the gameball afterwards.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Yes, GG, came down to 1 second 4th down at the five yard line or so.

FYI, the score was actually 23-17, a touchdown would of won it for me, that is why i was surprised you didn't go for two on your last touchdown, which in hindsight didnt matter since i didnt get the touchdown.

3. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Updated the score... was very tired when I wrote it. I'm sure it's not all perfect.

On that last play I almost took Lofton and drifted too far over the middle. When your TE cut his route and squared up for the reception I was like, "ohhhhh shit i think I just overpursued and cost us the game", but he just got his hand on the ball which was enough to make the reception too difficult to corral. Love games like this. Chess battle for sure.

4. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Was a great game.

I didnt think shockey was open at all. he was my main target and going to him no matter what, it got too jumbled in there, but i went for it anyways and luck wasn't on my side this week...

5. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Turnover Shoe On the Other Foot for the Raiders

Going into this week’s game against division leading New Orleans Saints, the Raiders had a tough task in containing a high powered offense with Brees at the helm, but one of the things that the Raiders were good at were causing turnovers. Things looked good early on with turnovers caused by McClain who collected his 6th INT and a fumble recovery return by Curry to put the Raiders up early, unfortunately, the Raiders have been hit by the turnover bug over the past few weeks. The Raiders committed 6 turnovers in a close win last week against the Ravens and committed four more this game against the Saints. Palmer has struggled with INTs over the past few games and McFadden has now six fumbles lost for the season. Being the leading rusher in the league, the amount of carries may result in fumbles, but they have come in crucial times and at relatively fast past in the first 10 games.

Overall, the Raiders defense played well and contained the Saints and forced FGs instead of TDs, but the turnovers on offense and the lack of explosiveness in the passing game has hurt the Raiders the past couple games. At some point, the oil is going to leak if they continue to ride McFadden to the ground whom finished with another 100 yard game, but the Raiders will need to diversify the offense to stay atop the AFC West.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Looks like McFadden could use some XP points on that carrying rating!

7. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Ive known since beginning of season. Ive only upgraded carrying for him so far about 5 points. Not helping. :(