Week 11: Steelers (21) vs. Chiefs (18)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 11: Steelers (21) vs. Chiefs (18)

Chiefs play tough, still find way to lose

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

The Kansas City Chiefs played inspired football this Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, showing their coach that they want him to stay in charge. However, they were not talented enough in all facets of the game to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and fell 21-18 in Arrowhead Stadium.

The Chiefs attempted to play ball control, hoping that the running game would keep the Steelers offense off the field and keep the game close. Jamaal Charles and the offensive line were not up to the task, however. Charles had 32 yards on 10 carries and could not get a constant push to keep the ball moving. Alex Smith, however, was up to the task.

Smith used the short passing game as his running attack, going 17 of 23 for 247 yards and two touchdowns. He was highly efficient and made solid decisions for most of the game, even throwing away a pass or two when receivers were covered. He was hassled all game by a stout Steeler blitz, getting sacked five times. A very costly interception in the third quarter on a busted screen pass, however, gave the Steelers a touchdown and was the difference in the game. It was Smith's only interception, and he was very distraught about it after the game.

"I cost us the game," Smith said in his locker room. "I tried too hard to make a play, and it cost us. I feel horrible. I want so bad to get a win for Coach (Winuvas) and these guys. They deserved it this game."

However, Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall got the job done in limited duty on the field. In fact, after a three and out to start the game, they did not see the field until the second quarter, when the Chiefs drove the ball down the field on a 6 plus minute drive to get the first score on a Ryan Succop field goal.

Defense ruled the day as no touchdowns were scored until late in the second quarter, when Roethlisberger worked the two minute drill to perfection, hitting Willie Parker for an 8 yard touchdown pass with 52 seconds left.

Alex Smith worked some quick scoring magic of his own, hitting Robert Meachem on a deep pass for 60 yards. In two plays Smith hit Naufahu Tahi in the flat for a 4 yard touchdown. Three plays, 26 seconds, 10-7 score at the half and the Chiefs get the ball back in the second half.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs got the ball back in the second half to start and had their only real bad play of the game. Smith dropped back to start a screen, and threw the ball to Steeler linebacker Lamar Woodley, who took it back for a touchdown to turn the game around. The game went from Kansas City in control to Kansas City where they have been all season - behind in the scoreboard with not a lot of talent to come back and win a game.

But the Chiefs players, to a man, never gave up, which cannot be said about them the last two weeks. The defense was stout until the fourth quarter when the running game of Pittsburgh took over and finally began to be effective. The Chiefs offense answered a touchdown by Pittsburgh with a touchdown of their own to get the score to 21-18, but never got closer.

Roethlisberger was solid, going 14 of 22 for 172 yards and 1 touchdown. Mendenhall had 14 carries for 70 yards and a touchdown, but most of the yards were in the fourth quarter. James Harrison was a monster for the Blitzburgh defense, getting 3 tackles and 2 of Pittsburgh's five sacks.

Coach Winuvas was short with his comments after the game. "Another game, another loss. Proud of the effort, but we fell short again. Proud of the guys though. No give up this game."

Hopefully the Chiefs can build on this game and keep getting better the rest of this season.

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

winuvas, you almost won this game... I actually watched it lol

If only meacham could have punched that long pass in...

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Almost don't count except in horse shoes and hand grenades. Interception in third quarter killed me.