Week 12: Buccaneers 27, Falcons 21

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 12: Buccaneers 27, Falcons 21

Bucs Win for Coach Win

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

Coach Winuvas certainly made a big splash in his debut in the old orange and red Buccaneer outfit as he prowled the sidelines. His Bucs came into Atlanta and upset the Falcons 27-21 where Coach's defense dominated the heavily favored Falcons.

Coach Winuvas' game plan was pretty simple: get ahead early, play very solid defense, and not allow rookie quarterback Josh Freeman to turn the ball over. All three points worked out well in his debut.

Josh Freeman went 10 of 11 for 116 yards and a touchdown to free agent signee Jerry Porter while relying on the offensive line and a solid running game to kill the clock and wear out the Falcons defense. Halfback Derrick Ward ran 26 times for 101 yards, while backup halfback Carnell "Cadillac" Williams ran 7 times for 35 yards and a touchdown. Freeman also hit 5 different receivers, including Jabar Gaffney, fullback B.J. Askew, tight end Chris Cooley, and Eddie Royal. All receivers had 2 catches each, with Cooley netting the most yards at 35.

The defense responded to the aggressive style that Coach Winuvas favors, with some newfound pressure rattling Matt Ryan all day long. While the defense only got one sack from veteran defensive tackle Chris Hovan, Ryan was hit and hurried all day and many throws wobbled to the turf.

The two big plays of the game occured early. After the opening drive netted a touchdown for Tampa Bay, the defense got a 3 and out only to see Clifton Smith muff a punt return and watch the lead evaporate. The Buccaneers would not be rattled however, and came back down the field to score late in the first quarter to take a 14-7 lead.

The second big play occured late in the first half. With Atlanta in the red zone, Matt Ryan threw into coverage and watched helplessly as strong safety Jermaine Phillips took it 103 yards for a Tampa touchdown.

The second half was mostly grind the ball with Derrick Ward, as most of his touches came in the second half. Fourteen late Falcon points made the game closer, but in the end the Bucs won out.

Matt Ryan went 24 of 42 for 339 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. Michael Turner was ineffective on the running side, getting only 21 yards on 6 carries. However, wide receiver Roddy White had a breakout game, nabbing 9 catches for 186 yards.

"We favored (Roddy) White's side all game. He's just a special player. We marked him to watch in zones, and he still lit it up," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "I'm happy with our effort on defense though. We did very well against an explosive offense."

Coach Winuvas said that he would sit down for a one-on-one question/answer session later tomorrow. As soon as he does, we'll bring it to you.

Stay up with all Bucs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

The Saints/Pats game was not the upset of the week this clearly was. Wajo might be on the decline.

3. Bluebean

Bluebean Kansas City Chiefs

There are alot of capable owners in this league compared to my other league. Every week is a dogfight

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

saints/pats was a pretty close to a upset like this is. both were great, amazing games.

5. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

Im in a slump. My players are letting me down and Im making terrible decisions in my play calling and ball protection

6. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Well I have alot of tough games left, so feel free to stay in your slump. I need all the help I can get. LOL

7. wajomatik

Sorry Claven but I gots to get out of this ASAP against the Eagles or I can start looking for a good spot to watch the playoffs from home lol. Good thing I had a strong start or I would be in alot of trouble right now

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ya, stay in the slump at least another 2 weeks.

9. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

The Dolphins and cowboys losses I had this year are going to bite me in the A$$. I got to play the newly fired up Bucs, then the Patriots, Vikings, Giants and Saints. What if I lose out. Delhomme might be gone after this season or relegated to 2nd string.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

To be fair, I won my first game with the Chiefs too. So, if we go by history, I'll lose the next 9. So I think you're safe Claven.

11. wajomatik

Wow that s going to be a full plate. Ive played everyone on that list except for the Vikes and I came away with one win barely

12. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

great beat them eagles for me