WEEK 12 - Game of the Week - PREVIEW

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Oct 21, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

WEEK 12 GAME OF THE WEEK

The game of the week was going to be the Patriots (@coachgaddy) and the Jets (@ozcarl) but those two got their game in right away so I had to pick another. I'm as tired of seeing the Saints up here as the next guy but they're winning, so what can you do?​

The 49ers are in the driver's seat in the NFC West and have all but wrapped up the division title. They are still playing for home field advantage, however, and the Saints are surging. The Saints have won six of their last seven games and are currently tied for the division lead in the NFC South. Every week is crucial for New Orleans as a loss could put them in a big hole in both their division and in the wild card race.​

Last Week

The 49ers posted their second consecutive shutout a week ago against Chicago. The game was a defensive battle that San Francisco escaped from with a 6-0 win. The two teams combined for only 428 yards of offense and zero touchdowns. Frank Gore was the lobe standout in the game offensively rushing for 112 yards on 20 carries.​
    New Orleans struggled on offense gaining only 206 yards on the day. However, the defense forced three turnovers and Matt Forte churned out 96 yards on the ground as the Saints rolled to a 35-17 win over the Raiders in Oakland.​

Keys to the Game

San Francisco leads the NFL in rushing and is second in rushing touchdowns. They are starting a rookie quarterback and rely heavily on running back Frank Gore. The 49ers haven't really been tested as a passing team and forced to win a game through the air. Whether or not the Saints can slow down the running game will tell a lot about their changes against San Francisco.​

New Orleans is 10th in the league in rush defense and tied for 19th in turnovers. They also allow the second highest percentage of scores (94%) when their opponents reach the red zone. Unless Jay Cutler can get hot and stay hot, this game will be 100% about how well the Saints can stop the run.​

What to Watch

Third downs - The Saints are sixth in the NFL converting 46% of third down attempts. The 49ers are 20th (36%). Should New Orleans be able to force San Francisco into third and medium to long consistently, they stand a good chance of stealing this game at home.​

Line

49ers -4 O/U 46​
    Prediction

Nobody has proven that they can shut down the 49ers' running game all year. The Saints will make a few plays and keep themselves in the game, but in the end the 49ers will use ball control and timely defense to slow down the New Orleans' locomotive.​

Content of the Week

YungLew15 Kansas City Chiefs

Corey once again takes home the award after revolutionizing the way VFL Game Summaries are done. His video recaps of his games are amazing and are a joy to watch. Well done sir. Congrats on your third win of the season!​

Sim Stats of the Week
    Chargers 24, Broncos 17​
    LLCoolGrey vs CPU​

Grey is new to the league but is demonstrating his sim acumen with very realistic games both against humans and against the CPU. Very well done!​

Team Stats

Offensive Yards: SD 273, DEN 248​
    Rushing Yards: SD 66, DEN 48​
    Passing Yards: SD 207, DEN 200​

Individual Leaders

V. Young, SD 16-28, 233 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT​
    R. Matthews, SD 13 car, 67 yds, 5.2 avg, 1 TD​
    M. Floyd, SD 6 rec, 118 yds, 19.7 avg, 1 TD​
    A. Gates, SD 3 rec, 44 yds, 14.7 avg, 1 TD​
    R. Meacham, SD 3 rec, 44 yds, 14.7 avg​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

I love how you pick against me every time I get nominated ;) we will do our best to prove you wrong again. Coming into this game with a great gameplan. We shall see :)

3. majesty95

Well, I have a formula for picking and you are usually going against a better team (on paper). I guess we will see how accurate it is this week. ;)

4. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

Got a few tricks up my sleeve (sim tricks) and might just surprise some people. ;)

5. majesty95

Unless the turf monster gets Gore, you're gonna need a David Blaine type magic show :p

6. LLCoolGrey

LLCoolGrey Walk On

Nice! Got a shout out lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

Gameplan? I just woke up lol. I have no game plan. Just score more points than you lol.