Week 13: Jags 34, Saints 6

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Week 13: Jags 34, Saints 6

Green Machine Makes Statement, Topples NFC's Best 34-6
    June 28, 2010
    By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacksonville, FL- This was the game players in the Jaguar locker room had circled on their calendar for almost a year. After a humiliating defeat 38-7 to the New Orleans Saints in last year's Toilet Bowl, revenge was on the minds of everybody in the organization.

Upping the ante even more was the fact that these two teams came into the game red hot, with the Saints having the best record in the NFC at 10-1 and the Jaguars holding the second best AFC record at 9-2. The was a matchup of potential OMFL Bowl participants and the anticipation in Jacksonville was sky high.

While this game showcased two of the most potent offenses in the OMFL, the first quarter would showcase two of the fastest and most dangerous defenses in the league. Both offenses would use the run game to work the ball into scoring range multiple times, but the first two posseessions for each team would only result in field goals making the score 6-6 in the early stages of the second quarter.

It was then that the Jaguars turned it up a notch on both sides of the football. The defense would lock down using a heavy dose of man to man defense and force the Saints into a three and out. The Jacksonville offense would respond using a couple of big run and pass plays to set up a Maruice Jones-Drew one yard touchdown run to make it 13-7 Jaguars. The defense would force another quick three and out to give the ball back to their offense late in the half. Once again Jacksonvilel would go to the run, suprising the Saints who were expecting the pass with under two minutes left in the half. But the mixture of runs with timely passes would set them up at the 22 yard line with :19 seconds remaining in the half. Facing a third and long, Drew Brees would sit patiently in the pocket and connect with rookie Rashad Riles for a strike down the middle for a touchdown that would seemingly suck the life out of the Saints team.

The second half again belonged to the Green Machine defense as they would continue to hold the Saints in check with pressure man to man defense mixed in with some timely zones. They would force two Jack English interceptions in the half, one by cornerback Antonio Cromartie to raise his league leading total to 11 on the year. This stifling defense coupled with two long scoring plays from their explosive offense would put the game out of reach heading into the fourth quarter 34-6.

Coach Dunlap would get his second string offense some playing time the rest of the way as his team would cruise to victory and keep hold of the second seed in the AFC and also stay on top of the tough AFC South.

"Let's be honest," said a frank Dunlap in his post game press conference. "That is a damn good team over there. They took it too us last year so we know what they are capable of. While I know our guys played their asses off, and I'm extremely proud of that, it would be foolish for me or any of us in our locker room to think that is a measure of how good we are. We will continue to take it one week at a time as we get ready for our next opponent, a tough Carolina Panthers team."

In a measure of how stifling the Jaguar defense was today, Saints quarterback Jack English completed just 6 of 15 passes for 39 yards. English was also pressured constantly and sacked four times in the game.

For Jacksonville, they were forced to look for other options besides wideout Steve Smith who was constantly shadowed and double teamed throughout the game and was held to just 4 receptions for 70 yards. THis opened up room for Maruice Jones-Drew, who broke a long quiet spell with 17 carries for 188 yards and a couple of touchdowns.

The Jaguars travel to Carolina next week with a chance to secure a playoff berth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEAM STATS

Jaguars
    Passing: 231
    Rushing: 234
    Total Offense: 465
    Turnovers: 1
    3rd Down: 3/7
    Time of Possession: 19:17

Saints
    Passing: 15
    Rushing: 173
    Total Offense: 188
    Turnovers: 2
    3rd Down: 1/8
    Time of Possession: 12:43

INDIVIDUAL STATS

Jaguars
    D. Brees: 12/17, 236 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
    M. Jones-Drew: 17 car, 188 yds, 2 TD
    P. Kerney: 3 sacks

Saints
    J. English: 6/15, 39 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT
    J. Keller: 7 car, 154 yds
    D. Henderson: 3 rec, 21 yds

2. joseph201105

joseph201105 OMFL- Oakland Raiders

See the AFC is by far the better conference

3. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

I need an explanation from Nate on those passing yards.

4. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

hmmmmm yeah, maybe its missing a zero or something....

Seth, this freakin sucks man, this was YOUR season to shine and sucks that it wasnt an injury that did you in or it wasnt you deciding to call it quits.... the dag gum equipment blew out on you....

I think you should talk to your "gamer friend" and see if he will let you finish the season at his place or whatnot.... maybe you will be able to bribe him by saying that you will keep the OMFL championship trophy at his place and you let him in on the championship picture.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Yah....we will see. I think my friend and I are gonna try the Gilky fix tomorrow afternoon. If that doesn't work then I will have to decide if I have it in the ole budget to purchase a new system.

Those passing yards were correct btw. It happens...sometimes things just don't go your way. I think Nate beat me 38-7 last time we played so I'm fairly sure this result is more of an outlier than anything else. I still see the Saints or Eagles in the OMFL Bowl from the NFC.