Week 13: Jaguars (31), Texans (24)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Week 13: Jaguars (31), Texans (24)

Jags win this very important battle for wild-card positioning, and they keep themselves in that #6 spot with their 7th consecutive win.

Maurice Jones-Drew continues his strong push for league MVP with 4 TDs, 144 yards rushing, and 96 yards receiving.

More details to come.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

JAGS WIN 7th STRAIGHT. MJD RUNS WILD.

Before kickoff the Jags had won six straight, beating divisional foes, potential playoff teams, and even a couple NFC opponents during that span. However, none of those wins would matter if they would lose to their hate divisional rivals, the Texans.

"I told they guys before the game. . .throw those six wins out the window because they don't mean (explicitive). This game would basically determine our playoff chances," said head coach Dunlap.

Teams would battle to a defensive stalemate in the 1st quarter with each quarterback throwing an interception. But in the 2nd quarter the Texans would strike first, marching down the field using Steve Slaton in the running game and eventually the passing game as he would score on a 17 yard pass from Matt Shaub.

The Jaguars would only need one play to answer, as they would run a disguised screen pass to Maurice Jones-Drew and he would escape several defenders in the backfield then take it 75 yards for the score.

Jacksonville has been excellent defensively during this winning streak, and they would flex their muscle before first half, stopping 3 consecutive Texans drives while setting their offense up nicely as they would get a Jones-Drew touchdown run and a Rob Bironas field goal to take a 17-7 halftime lead.

The second half would belong to the running games as the Texans would score twice on the ground, but they were answered with two more Jones-Drew touchdown runs to keep that Jags lead at 10 points heading into the late stages of the game.

Houston would use a no-huddle offense to bring the ball into scoring range with under 3:00 left, but again that vaunted Jags defense would step up and force a 4th and 10 from the 27. The Texans would opt for the field goal, and Kris Brown connected to make it a 31-24 game with 2:10 remaining.

Houston had only two timeouts at this stage so you would think the Jaguars would run the ball with Maurice Jones-Drew. Well, the didn't and it almost cost them, as Jacksonville wen't three and out and Houston got the ball back with 1:30 remaining an a timeout still in the bag.

"Look, I knew they were going to stack the run and I felt confident that a couple of play-action passes would work in that situation. . .and they did! The only problem was we had two drops. I can't fault the playcalling there, guys just didn't execute. But I did feel great about our defense and I had faith they could get the stop," preached Dunlap.

They did get the stop, sealing the Texan's fate with an interception with under a minute remaining.

Remembering that cheap late field goal the Texans had against them earlier in the season, Coach Dunlap looked like he wanted to score again. "We all remember what they did earlier in the season. If they are going to score meaningless points when the game is wrapped up then why shouldn't we?"

Well, instead of kneeling on the ball the Jags would try a screen pass to Jones-Drew that fell incomplete. After this apparently Dunlap had a change of heart and called a couple of fullback dives to run out the clock.

Jacksonville's 7th consecutive win was perhaps their most important as they maintain control of their own playoff destiny and perhaps seal the Texans fate, who are now 2 games out of a playoff spot with only 4 remaining.

Maurice Jones-Drew again is proving his MVP candidacy with a monster game. MDJ had 4 touchdowns, 144 yards rushing, and 4 receptions for 92 yards. This is the sixth straight game that Jones-Drew has accounted for more than 50% of the Jaguars total offense.

Jacksonville moves on for another pivotal game next week against the newly invigorated Miami Dolphins. The Jaguars need to keep winning as Cincinatti is now only one game behind them for a playoff spot, and the Bengals hold the tiebreaker.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Good game OB. . .like you told me earlier this is a divisonal rivalry, so go get me next time.

3. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

More like next year