Week 13: Jaguars 48, Bengals 34

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Jaguars Win Shootout Against Bengals 48-34

January 21, 2011

By: Harry Stone
    Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

Jacksonville, FL- The Jaguars aren’t used to this.

34 points allowed.

411 passing yards.

190 yard receiving allowed by one player.

However in the end the result was the same, another Jacksonville victory as they out-dueled the Cincinatti Bengals in a battle of AFC divisional leaders.

Even in victory Coach Dunlap expressed his frustration at his porous defense.

“We aren’t happy, I’ll tell you that,” barked Dunlap at his post-game press conference. “Let’s not be results oriented here, the way we performed in this game defensively is not Jaguars football. It is not how the Jaguars win. This is not something we take lightly, and I assure you we will be addressing our issues during the practice week.”

Even the players were less than pleased after the victory.

“I’m embarrassed,” said linebacker and team captain Justin Durant. “To give up 34 points made us look like garbage.”

“I feel kicked in the gut,” remarked veteran cornerback Rasheen Mathis. “We’ll be associated with giving up that many yards and that many points, it kind of a black-eye on this club.”

While the Jaguars may be blaming themselves for a sub-par defensive performance, there is no doubt that others witnessed a remarkable offensive showing by the Bengals.

Quarterback Carson Palmer was spectacular, making all the throws into all types of coverage and finishing with 18 completions for 411 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Palmer’s favorite target was David Clowney who grabbed six passes for a remarkable 190 yards and two touchdowns.

The stellar showing by Palmer have people around the OMFL opening their eyes to a potential MVP candidate.

“That was an impressive of a performance by a quarterback as I’ve seen in my years here in Jacksonville, period,” said Dunlap. “If he’s not on your short list of MVP candidates then I don’t know who is.”

Who is might also be reigning OMFL and AFC MVP Maruice Jones-Drew, who also thrust his name back into the conversation after rushing for 192 yards and 4 touchdowns, while also catching three passes.

Jones-Drew and Palmer are sure to be mentioned when award voting is discussed in a couple weeks. What will also be discussed is their teams heading towards the playoffs as both seem well in control of their playoff situations with just four weeks to play.

Jacksonville (11-1) now prepares to face the Indianapolis Colts (4-8) for the second time in four weeks.