Week 14: Seahawks (35) vs. Chiefs (42)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 14: Seahawks (35) vs. Chiefs (42)

Chiefs Win Wild One to Keep Playoff Hope

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

What a difference the second tenure of Coach Winuvas had versus the first.

In his first tenure as coach of the Chiefs, Coach Winuvas won a hard fought, defensive powerhouse game, shutting down a vaunted Ravens team almost two years ago, 17-0. In his second tenure, it was a wild shootout in Kansas City against the Seattle Seahawks, with the final score of 42-35 including tons of big plays by both teams and a blocked extra point.

The game started quick and with rookie sensation Devontae Sanders. The Kansas City halfback ran off tackle on the second play from scrimmage for 60 yards and a touchdown. However, this was the only scoring in the first quarter as the game went to the second quarter at 7-0 Kansas City.

The second quarter also saw big plays, with Seattle driving to score on a Clinton Portis 4 yard run to tie the game up. Then Kansas City drove down the field and scored on a broken play Shaun Hill quarterback draw that was supposed to be a pass.

"Shaun just made a play. Kudos to him," Coach Winuvas said.

After a costly fumble by Seattle tight end John Carlson, the Chiefs drove down the field and scored on another Shaun Hill strike to receiver Dwayne Bowe. The half ended at 21-7 Chiefs.

The second half saw Seattle strike quick much like Kansas City did in the first half. On the first play from scrimmage, Brandon Marshall broke free on a busted coverage and was found by Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck for a 71 yard strike. However, the extra point was blocked by linebacker Derrick Johnson on special teams to make the score 21-13. After a punt gave Seattle the ball back, they wasted no time getting another score on a Clinton Portis 1 yard rumble off the left side. A failed two point conversion left the score at 21-19.

Kansas City would answer with another large play from phenom Devontae Sanders, who rumbled off tackle for a 72 yard touchdown, running over would be tacklers. The final scoring of the third quarter would come from halfback Clinton Portis yet again, as Seattle's running attack proved too much for Kansas City's "revamped" line. Portis rumbled off tackle for a 5 yard score late to make the score 28-26.

In the fourth quarter, Kansas City would answer yet again with another touchdown pass from Shaun Hill to Naufahu Tahi, the seldom used fullback, for a 10 yard touchdown. Matt Hasselbeck directed traffic very quickly, using only 2 plays to find Justin Patterson on a 33 yard touchdown strike. Another failed two point conversion by Seattle saw the game at 35-32. The dagger, however, would come from reserve halfback Jamaal Charles, who subbed in when Devontae Sanders tweaked his wrist late in the third quarter. On a flat hot route, Charles broke two Seattle tackles and ran 73 yards to score the final touchdown of the day for Kansas City.

However, Seattle did have one last gasp drive, which was stuffed late. Seahawks kicker Olindo Mare came out to kick a field goal to make it a 7 point game, but it was too little, too late.

For the Chiefs, offense was in high supply, as quarterback Shaun Hill went 16 of 21 for 278 yards with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. He completed passes to 6 different receivers, with his favorite being rookie wide receiver Jamarion Bellows, who nabbed 5 balls for 73 yards. For the ground game, it was once again the Devontae Sanders show, as he ran 14 times for 194 yards and 2 touchdowns. On defense, while not showing well on the scoreboard, the Chiefs did stop the Seahawks when it mattered, and new starter defensive end Quentin Groves was a big reason for that. The young man from Auburn recorded 4 tackles and a sack, the only sack of Hasselbeck all day long.

For Seattle, Matt Hasselbeck had a stellar day, going 19 of 31 for 312 yards and 3 touchdowns. His favorite targets were receiver Brandon Marshall (4 receptions, 116 yards, and a touchdown) and tight end John Carlson (5 catches, 81 yards). The running attack punched the Chiefs interior line in the mouth all day long as Clinton Portis ran 17 times for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns, and fullback Owen Schmitt ran 5 times for 25 yards.

"The defense needs work, but they made plays when they counted, if they weren't many," Coach Winuvas commented. "Coach Dunn in Seattle is a helluva offensive mind though. Lots of offensive looks that I didn't anticipate and he was lighting us up. Thank goodness our offense showed up. We'll hopefully have these guys on defense better prepared next week since we have a new scheme in place."

With a possible playoff spot on the line, the Chiefs need every W they can muster. Still needing help from the Chargers and Raiders to get in, and only three weeks left, will the Chiefs and new/old Coach Winuvas get it done?

"I'm honestly not worried about making the playoffs. What I am worried about is being a better coach for these young players and setting up a winning culture in this town. I left before it was done. I'm back to get it done, and I expect all my players to follow suit. If we make the playoffs, great. If not, we get better for next year," Coach Winuvas said.

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Glad to see your back Win.

3. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

i love it when win wins, welcome back.

I thought CJ was a lock for the rushing title but with you and devonte on my heals, its gonna be a close one. GL

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

It doesn't happen that often though does it Ox? lol