Week 15: Panthers @ Chargers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Ace847, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

The Chargers came into this one desperate for a win and they were able to pull it off. This was a nail biter and Blaza rep put up a good fight but just fell short.

The Chargers scored first with a 52 yard FG into the wind after a good defensive stop by the Panthers. The Panthers would go ahead to score two TD in a row with a well executed QB designed run and a 9 yard TD pass to LaFell. Matthews fumbled and Rivers threw a pick to set up each of these scores. The Chargers played great defense and did what they could in each drive but Newton figured out how to get it done on third down and cashed in TD's on the Chargers turnovers.

With the score 14-3 and the Chargers playoff hunt looking dim the Chargers put together an efficient drive mainly behind the running of Matthews to end in a 2 yd TD run to make it 14-10.

Cam Newton led his team down the field to about the 7 yard line only to have his pass picked off on a diving interception with about a minute left in the half!

The Chargers decided that with Rivers tendency to throw picks they would play it safe and chose to run a draw play to end the half but Ryan Matthews found a hole and broke off a huge 80 yard TD run to end the half making it 14-17 Chargers lead!

The second half was all about Chargers defense. They forced plenty of 3 and out's and forced the Panthers to punt it away all half. The Chargers would add a fg in the third making it 14-20 and left the game wide open for the Panthers to take the lead but the Chargers would fight hard to keep Newton contained.

The end of the game was quite rediculous because the last chance for Newton and the Panthers turned into a tremendous scoring opportunity that ultimately ended in a 4th down play that probably had Blaza screaming at his screan! He would throw a perfect td pass only to have his receiver drop it and cause a turnover on downs!

The Chargers with a couple minutes left would then run out the clock.... Of course this would not be the case because the Panthers defense would come up with a huge hit on Matthews and he would cough up the rock with 1 minute to go and give the Panthers tremendous field position! Newton was sacked on first down putting extra pressure on the Panthers but would throw a perfect pass to his receiver for a first down but once again his receivers failed him and fumbled the ball and sealing the Chargers victory. Great game Blaza.

Player of the Game: Ryan Matthews 210 yards on 27 attempts and 2 TD's

Chargers: 20 Panthers: 14

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

The ending to that game was crazy, two back to back fumbles. We just couldnt do anything with Matthews on the outside run. Seemed he was able to get to the edge everytime no matter what we did.

Defensively, the Chargers did a great job of stopping CAR on contact and not allowing extra yards. Cam seems to have caught the turnover bug a bit, something he did not have early in the season. Back to the drawing board.

GG Danny

3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Damn, looked like a great game. I love the low scoring defensing battles. But wow, Matthews went off!

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Matthews played great. We are actually pretty stout against the run in general too. Danny did a great job establishing the run early and being patient behind his big lugs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

All I had going was the run game but Matthews had two huge fumbles with one of them coming at the end that could have lost the game for us! And Randiesel75, you will like to hear that I had a Tebow day passing the ball with Rivers for only like 50 or 60 yards! It was rediculous when I saw that stat at the end of the game (but if you win, you win! Moral of the story: start Tebow real life Jets and TLY Jets!) All my scoring came in the first half and I held Blaza from scoring in the second half so I really didnt need to focus on the pass because the running game was so effective. And its not like I stopped passing...I just was horribly uneffecient throwing the ball! Blaza also put some serious pressure on Rivers forcing bad passes and sacking him a few times.