Week 15: San Francisco 49ers @ New England Patriots

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Jul 7, 2011

Niners Turn Back Patriots
    defeat New England 31-24

The San Francisco 49ers picked up a crucial road victory in their push for a playoff spot, defeating the New England Patriots 31-24 in Foxboro. Despite the Patriots out gaining the Niners 451 to 310, it was five turnovers by New England, including two in the redzone, that ultimately made the difference.

Both teams were even through half as New England moved the ball with the pass while San Francisco countered with their power running game. With the game tied at 17, the 49ers would break the tie on a QB sneak by Alex Smith. The Patriots, attempting to answer, would turn the ball over when MLB Patrick Willis stepped in front of a Tom Brady pass intended for TE Rob Gronkowski. San Francisco would take advantage as Alex Smith would find TE Vernon Davis down the middle of the field, extending the lead to 31-17.

New England would make a furious attempt at a comeback in the fourth quarter, but two separate drives would end in red zone interceptions by Willis. The Patriots would get a touchdown back late in the fourth, but would be unable to recover the onside kick.

whoozy11, Good game. Like I said, the turnovers were killer. Other than that, you pretty much moved the ball up and down the field all game long.

Notable Stats
    New England Patriots San Francisco 49ers[/B]
    QB Tom Brady - 26/43, 426 yards, 3 TD, 4 INT QB Alex Smith - 7/12, 200 yards, TD, INT
    HB Shane Vereen - 10 car, 52 yards, long 12 HB Frank Gore - 21 car, 89 yards, 2 TD, long 15; rec, 56 yards
    TE Aaron Hernandez - 7 rec, 160 yards, long 31 TE Vernon Davis - 3 rec, 99 yards, TD, long 56
    TE Rob Gronkowski - 5 rec, 114 yards, TD, long 50 WR Michael Crabtree - 2 rec, 28 yards, long 18
    WR Mark Clayton - 3 rec, 16 yards, 2 TD, long 16 MLB Patrick Willis - 3 tack, 3 INT
    Turnovers: 5 Turnovers: 1
  2. whoozy11

whoozy11 Walk On

Oct 1, 2012
    I felt like I could never get you 3 and out the whole game and interceptions were crucial. I needed to get you in passing downs, but just couldn't do it. Very well balanced team (player) and efficient. Good game Boom29 and good luck going forward. Randiesel75 this one hurt.