Week 16: Bucs (6), Saints (24)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 16: Bucs (6), Saints (24)

Since Nate has been busy and apparently forgot, here's my article from week 16.

Tampa Offense Lacking in Saints Rout

[​IMG]

New Orleans QB Drew Brees shrugs at coaches after a Brian Westbrook touchdown run against the Bucs this Sunday.

by Antoine Buckman
    Blogger, Tampa Tribune

Good news for Tampa Bay fans (the three that are left): the Buccaneers defense is solid and can hold their own against any team in the OMFL. The bad news: their offense could not score against a high school defense right now. The proof is in the score of the Saints/Bucs game: 24-6.

Both teams' defenses showed up to play in this game. The Buccaneers got the first points of the game on a Mike Nugent field goal midway through the first quarter to take a 3-0 lead, a lead that would stand up thanks to stout defense on Tampa's part to keep the vaunted New Orleans offense off track.

"We targeted (New Orleans wide receiver Devery) Henderson a good bit with our zone coverage schemes, keeping 2 guys in that area at all times," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "We wanted him contained to keep New Orleans from breaking the big play. He still got his touches, though."

Devery Henderson caught six balls for 72 yards and a touchdown, that touchdown coming in the second quarter late to give the Saints a 7-3 lead going into the half.

However, like most of Coach Winuvas' games in Tampa orange, the second half brought no adjustments on offense, and a tired defense could not keep up with the Saints. An 85 yard breakout run by Saints running back Brian Westbrook on the first play from scrimmage in the second half made it 14-3, and with the Buccaneer offense showing no life, the game was over at that point for the most part. A Mike Nugent field goal late in the third quarter got it to 14-6, which is as close as Tampa would get. Two late Garrett Hartley field goals and a interception return for a touchdown by cornerback Fabian Washington sealed the deal for the Saints.

Josh Freeman was anemic and looked timid on the field, completing only 11 of 25 passes for 92 yards and one interception. Derrick Ward worked hard for his 94 yards on 20 carries against one of the best defenses in the OMFL. Jerry Porter was the lead receiver for Tampa, getting 3 catches for 35 yards. Linebacker Quincy Black led the defensive effort with 6 tackles, and defensive tackle Chris Hovan had the team's only sack of Brees on the day.

"We could not get consistent pressure on (New Orleans quarterback Drew) Brees, and he made us pay for that," Coach Winuvas said of his defensive effort.

Brees was efficient and accurate, completing 13 of 19 passes for 121 yards and a touchdown. Brian Westbrook carried 15 times for 149 yards, but other than the 85 yard breakout run was contained well by Tampa Bay's defensive scheme. Other than Devery Henderson, no other receiver stood out, with only 1 other receiver catching 2 passes of 8 receivers catching a pass (Brian Westbrook had 2 catches).

"We have to go to the drawing board on offense. I'll be working hard on that during practices this week. I plan on working a scout team against the offense, and giving most of our defensive starters a breather in practice," Coach Winuvas commented after the game. "To be frank, we are playing (expletive) right now, and it shows. Hopefully we can summon up some quality offensive play against Atlanta and give him a game."

Coach Winuvas also talked about draft plans with what will almost certainly be a top ten pick.

"We have lots of needs to fill, to be honest," he said. "(General manager) Mark (Dominik) and I have some ideas on what we are looking at. We're discussing what we want to do in year 2, and I can't comment much further on it until we sit down after the season and evaluate our personnel and see where we need to get younger and more talented."

Coach Winuvas sounds like he has no answers on offense right now, and it shows. Will he figure it out in time to beat Atlanta a second time this year, or will he be content with working towards next year?

Keep up with all your Bucs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ya, tonight i was about to post this up. sorry, things have just been crazy for me at work and with our youth here.

this was a very tough defensive game. bucs will be a team to watch for next year. saints will make some moves this offseason and will make another run next year.