Week 16: Jags 35, Jets 21

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Week 16: Jags 35, Jets 21

Jacksonville Secures Bye, But Jags Nearly Smith-less

July 2nd, 2010

By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville P-I

JACKSONVILLE, FL- The outcome wasn't suprising, yet most of the Jaguars fans likely were nervous with ancipation during most of the second half.

That's because all-world receiver Steve Smith was helped into the locker room on the first play of the second half by team physicians, after injuring his right elbow. No word was released out of the locker room for the entirety of the game, keeping those fans and Jacksonville players and coaches on pins and needles the entire time.

Meanwhile, Smith's team was rolling to a 35-21 win over the 0-15 Jets, a result that certainly wasn't suprising. Drew Brees and Maurice Jones-Drew carried the load in Smith's absense and propelled their team to win number 13 on the year which locked up a first round bye in the playoffs.

After the game, Coach Dunlap was finally given word that x-rays were negative on Smith's elbow, and that Smith would be ready for next week's game against the Texans.

"I'll tell you, that's the most I've paced up and down the sidelines all season long, and we've had some nail-biter games," said Dunlap. "When you see your star go down like that, especially late in the season, your heart kind of sinks into your chest today. Luckily for us, Steve's one of the toughest competitors in the league and it looks like he'll be ready to go next week."

In just one half of action before leaving, Smith caught 8 passes for 138 yards and a touchdown. He set a new NFL single season record with 1956 yards after the game, and with 20 touchdowns becomes only the third receivier in history to hit that mark.

The Jaguars move on to their final regular season tune up, a rematch against the Texans who gave Jacksonville one of thier two losses on the year.

"We aren't going to rest anybody," said Dunlap. "I've seen how that works out in the past. We're going to play next week just like it's a normal game. I want my guys to be sharp heading into the bye."

Jacksonville will likely be the #2 seed into the AFC Playoffs, and would face the winner of the 3-6 contest in the Divisional Round.