Week 17: Chiefs 23, Broncos 17

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 17: Chiefs 23, Broncos 17

Chiefs Win While Testing Depth

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

In a game where only pride was on the line, the Kansas City Chiefs were victorious 23-17 over the Denver Broncos at Invesco Field at Mile High this past Sunday. The Chiefs under Coach Winuvas started a few surprises at different spots, finding out what holes they need to fill in next year's offseason.

Starting at quarterback was a guy that Coach Winuvas brought in during his first tenure as coach of the Chiefs in Alex Smith. Rookie phenom Devontae Sanders also sat, as well as rookie wide receiver Jamarion Bellows, and in their place started Jamaal Charles and Mike Sims-Walker. Other backups starting in this game was center Andy Alleman, right tackle Barry Richardson, right end Quentin Groves, defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery, linebacker Danell Ellerbe, and safeties Haruki Nakamura and Gerald Alexander.

"There are some players that may or may not be here next year. I need to know what I have in order to find out what I need to improve on right now," Coach Winuvas explained about his changes. "Nothing to do with our opponent across the field, but I need to know what my guys can do."

The scoring started with a Jamaal Charles 1 yard touchdown rumble after a great pass from Alex Smith to tight end Stanley Squirek to get them within range. The Broncos then mounted a drive of their own behind quarterback Kelly James, ending with a 3 yard pass to fullback Peyton Hillis to tie the game at the end of the first quarter at 7-7.

A massive Kansas City drive then ensued. The Chiefs went 17 plays and took over 6 minutes of clock, but it sadly ended in a Ryan Succop field goal as the drive stalled on the 2 yard line.

"Red zone offense is still lacking," Coach Winuvas said.

Denver then worked their two minute drill to perfection, getting in range for a 40 yard field goal from Matt Prater with :08 seconds left to tie the game going into the half at 10-10.

Kansas City started the second half driving down the field with a precise short passing attack from Alex Smith riddled with somewhat effective runs from Jamaal Charles and backup halfback Danny Ware. Ware finished off the first drive of the second half with a 1 yard rumble behind center Andy Alleman for a score and the 17-10 lead. Then the Chiefs kicked off to Denver returner Ahmad Bradshaw, who ran it back to the house for a 104 yard touchdown return to tie the game back up yet again at 17 all. A solid drive by the Chiefs again ended with a long Ryan Succop field goal of 54 yards late in the third quarter to take a 20-17 lead into the fourth quarter.

In the fourth, the Chiefs did a nice job of controlling the clock, moving into position with a time chewing drive to get another Ryan Succop field goal of 24 yards to make the score 23-17 with almost four minutes left in the game. A solid drive behind Denver tailback Knowshon Moreno and Kelly James fell short when a fourth down pass was picked off by safety Gerald Alexander at the ten yard line.

Most of Coach Winuvas' subs had a solid game. Alex Smith went 15-19 for 260 yards with no touchdowns, but more importantly, no interceptions. In a two pronged attack, Jamaal Charles carried 14 times for 34 yards and Danny Ware carried 12 times for 45 yards. Both backs had a touchdown in the game. Smith's favorite target was Dwayne Bowe, with 6 catches for 75 yards. However, rookie Stanley Squirek at tight end had his first 100 yard receiving game of his career, getting 5 catches for 115 yards. While Mike Sims-Walker did not have a catch, reserve wide receiver Robert Meachem had 2 catches out of the slot receiver role.

For the Chiefs' defensive replacements, they were solid if unspectacular. Linebacker Danell Ellerbe had 3 tackles to lead the replacements, while the star of the game was starting cornerback Brandon Flowers, who had 2 interceptions of Kelly James on the day. Rookie linebacker Chris Anderson had 4 tackles to lead the tacklers on the day.

For the Broncos, Kelly James went 11-21 for 103 yards, with a touchdown to go with 3 interceptions. Knowshon Moreno was solid, running 16 times for 67 yards. Moreno also had 3 catches for 24 yards in the passing game, but fullback Peyton Hillis had the only receiving touchdown to go with 3 receptions.

Kansas City finishes the season at 7-9, while Denver finishes its season at 4-12. With both teams looking now at their offseason, the Chiefs at least have some ideas as far as personnel goes.

"We have some needs at halfback, offensive line, tight end, and defense as a whole. Need more playmakers on defense to get turnovers for us," Coach Winuvas said. "I like what I saw from Alex Smith. Good decisions, crisp passes, didn't make huge mistakes. Even with (Devontae) Sanders, I still want another playmaker at halfback. Wide receiver I am comfortable with our players we have, but if we can upgrade I would do it. Tight end I would like one more solid guy to go with (Stanley) Squirek. Depending on free agency, may see about signing some big guys inside to get a running game rolling."

And defense?

"We have to get tougher on defense overall. There are a few guys I am keeping, but look at that side of the ball getting a big overhaul this offseason. If I have to trade the few bright spots I have to get guys that make this defense better, so be it," Coach Winuvas said.

Coach Winuvas did finish 2-2 with the Chiefs, and his most impressive stat was his offensive output versus his previous coaching stint in Tampa Bay. Can it carry over to season 3 of the OMFL?

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Good game, Your offense played good. Turnovers was the telling stat. I try too keep my pathetic defense off the field!!

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I dunno man. Your defense was pretty solid all game. They gave up yards, but not a lot of points. Heck, even after I got the last INT, I nearly fumbled the ball back to you on the 20 yard line. I would have cut Ware right then and there had that happened lol.

Looking forward to more games next year man. Will be fun times.

4. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Yeah I tried to hit u hard, one of the few times i try thr hitstick, alot of times i look stupid

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The few times I use the hitstick ever, I miss and look like I can't walk straight. And since that last fumble against you was the first time I EVER won fight for the fumble....EVER....I was quite lucky. I would just rather intercept the ball or pick up a clean fumble.

What about when Flowers picked off the ball in the red zone, runs 5 yards, then gets hit, fumbles, and you pick the ball up? Lucky break for you on that play.

6. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

thank god I did, I couldn't get you off the field, I'd like to see what your 3rd down pct. was?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I went 6-11 on third downs for 54.5%. You went 5-9 for 55.5%. So technically, you did better on third downs than I did. You had 3 turnovers, I had 1. I had over 19 minutes time of possession to your almost 13 minutes. Those two items made a good difference. If I had run better it would have been uglier score, but your run defense was stout all day.

My red zone offense though is atrocious. When you have a 6 minute drive that goes 17 plays, score a touchdown, dammit. lol