week 17 cuts?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by saintsdave75, Nov 4, 2010.

1. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

This was brought up in the blast group today, but when is the deadline for players to be cut for the current season so the cap hit does not carry over to the next season. People where in there talking about non-playoff teams cutting high-earning players to save the cap hit and would the playoff teams be allowed to bid on them? Obviously, this needs to be NO, but I couldn't find the rule anywhere.

Also, if the non-playoff teams get to make a late season cut like this, do the playoff teams get a chance to do the same during the postseason, and if so, when is the exact deadline?

It looks like some people may be ready to make a bunch of cuts, but don't they have to field a roster of 53?

This needs to be addressed pretty quickly.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

They still have to have a roster of 53 players. We do not have a rule in place for cut players to not be signed by other teams. But....if they want to play the rules game, I think I can sling rules with the best of them. :) Gimme a minute.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I put a new small rule in the cap rulebook and corresponding documents:

The offseason for the OMFL begins after the advance from week 17 to the first round of the playoffs. During this time, no team may sign/cut players until instructed to by offseason standards.

Nate, Jeremy, please post this as soon as possible to let owners know the small, yet large, change.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

So, we are going to allow teams to cut players after week 17 but playoff teams will not be allowed to sign those players?

I can post this up if it hasnt already.

Also, Winuvas you and I talked abotu this the other day but I think we need to institute the Mandatory cut to 45 before the draft. Those players cut would carry a cap hit.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I am confused. So I will not post anything just yet.

BTW guys, I taking my son to Mississippi deer hunting. I am leaving this morning and I wont be back until Sunday noonish at the latest depending on how the hunting goes. I will not be able to post or check forums till then. BUT if you guys need me please feel free to text me @

337-280-9716

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, personally, for this year, I say cuts after week 17 up to the OMFL Bowl are able to be done, but playoff teams cannot sign them UNLESS injury dictates it (and with permission from board). Otherwise, playoff rosters are locked and cannot be changed.

Next year, I say we work to eliminate the loophole. Cut down to 48 for the draft. Any players cut after the 48 draw line and up to the minimums listed in the rulebook (1 per position, 2 MLBs, etc, etc.) carry a cap hit. Cuts from 55 to 48 are cap hit free, but 3 of them have to be from your top 20.

I also suggest that the offseason's maximum roster size be 48 players before the draft takes place. This frees up worries that players will be cut to sign simulated draft picks and takes the pain in the neck portion off Nate's plate of having to put players back on teams (I can imagine how much of a pain this is!). We draft 5 rounds, or thereabouts anyway.....5 plus the 48 would be 53. 7 rounds (typical NFL draft) plus the 48 roster size would be 55, the max Madden roster size.

This also makes free agency a lot more choosy, as teams who are close to the 48 man roster size would have to really debate more on going after free agents. 53 during season, 48 in offseason. That is my personal suggestion.

7. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ok i have a solution. I dont mind having something like a july 1st cut in real nfl. how about this as a solution for both this issue and a great offseason idea like win was talking about.

All teams must always be above 53 at all times during the season. You may never go below a madden minimum or a total of 53 players.

If you are above 53 players you may cut up to 1-2 players to get to 53 and to take their bonus hit this season, before the next offseason (simular to a july 1st cut). You just may NEVER cut below 53 players, even if signing one.

You may not sign a player at a position and cut that position of a higher overall player to circumvent the system.

After the season is over and the OMFL Bowl game is played, the offseason begins.

When the offseason begins all teams must cut their mandatory 3 players with no cap hit (1 above average and 2 below, all 3 on the top 20).
    After those 3 players are cut, you must cut as many players as needed to get your roster to 48 players total. These players will carry a cap hit of their bonus x their modifier. You may never cut a position that puts you below the madden minimum and all of these players are now fa's.

By doing this above, we now allow a small june 1st cut type deal, we encourage teams to carry more than 53 players (so they can drop a high salary guy if they choose), we add to some flexability and fun to the gm'ing aspect of the game, and by adding the cut to 48 players we not only make room to sim the draft, but we just added a ton of new guys to the fa pool, force teams to eat up that cap with having to take cap hit, force teams to really think about their roster and even add some guys to the fa pool that teams love but are hiding on their roster (ie a project player).

I think this is a very good solution.

thoughts?

8. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

If we make the cuts mandatory, then we should consider makign it in the bottom 20 maybe with no penalty?

9. natedawg212000

well i say they can cut whoever they want, but all cuts (other than the 3 in top 20) come with a cap hit, this will FORCE teams to use up some of that huge cap space that some have and keep the prices of FAs from getting super crazy. Guys like Dunlap already have stated that they are going to spend 40 mill in fas if they have to to get whoever they want. This would fix some of that.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hmmmm.......not a bad idea actually. Every year force some cap hits to lower crazy salaries.

The only part I don't like about what you have said Nate is that circumventing system line. Not for saying it, but for creating another rule, really. If a team wants to sign a 54 overall and cut a 75 overall starter (just example here), I say let em.

I do like the 48 players rule during offseason. I say they should be forced to have 48 players at all times during the offseason before the draft. That way people have to REALLY think about free agency signings. If they are above 48 at any time, then cap guys can force cut players to get down to 48.

11. natedawg212000

hum.. you can't go below 48 though, can you? i forgot about that. we'd almost have to do the draft first. what about doing that instead? draft first?

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, usually FA goes before draft. But if you want to work it backwards, I got no problem with that.

13. natedawg212000

well if we done it backwards, it would be different and better because teams were crying last year that they wish fa's were after. lets try it before this year?

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Draft first, FA next. I don't mind at all.

Also, another very intriguing proposal was made in blast chat by Gaddy, of all people. He suggested a waiver system like the real NFL.

Basically, my initial thought behind this is we do it after the trade deadline. Base it on current season's W-L records.

Any player cut can be claimed in 24 hours by another team. That team then gets the player at the contract cut by the cutting team for the rest of the year (modifier, base salary, bonus, everything). Can make an email address and do it blind style so no one knows who is claiming player.

I haven't ironed out all the kinks yet, but I think it would be VERY interesting.

15. natedawg212000

win, I like what we have going here where you type and introduce new stuff. please introduce my suggestion and lets roll this out.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, right now I have it stated in the offseason thread that people have to cut to 48 players, and that only the mandatory cuts are cap hit free. Is that how you want it said?

17. natedawg212000

we just need to reiterate that teams can never be below 53 and there is no loophole to cut players before season is over.