Week 2, 2012

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Week 2, 2012

Congratulations to everyone on a fantastic Week 1. We had two closely contested User games and another nail biter that saw Michigan upset #1 Alabama in our game of the week. On the forums you guys are killing it with content, love seeing the post-game write-ups and the activity on the recruiting thread has been fantastic. Keep up the good work guys and keep having fun.

Without any user games, Week 2 looks to be a little less exciting than Week 1, but there is still plenty of intrigue. Georgia, Notre Dame and Ohio State will have the opportunity to work out the kinks we saw in week one but against stronger opponents. Up north, Michigan looks to build upon their huge win against Alabama and figure out ways to get the now-healthy Denard Robinson more involved. Down south, Georgia Tech and Auburn will attempt to rebound after dropping their season openers.

#7 Arkansas vs. FCS Southeast​
    #13 Clemson vs. Ball State​
    #22 Florida @ Texas A&M​
    #8 Florida State vs. FCS East​
    #5 Georgia @ Missouri​
    Georgia Tech vs. FCS East​
    #17 Ohio State vs. UCF​
    #6 Michigan vs. Airforce​
    #21 Notre Dame vs. Purdue​
    #15 Wisconsin @ Oregon State​
    #14 Virginia Tech vs. FCS Southeast​
    User Game of the Week: Auburn @ Mississippi State​

2. Ben

Ben Walk On

thumbnail.aspx.jpeg Georgia Bulldogs (1-0) @ Missouri Tigers (1-0) thumbnail-1.aspx.jpeg
    Well folks the excitement of week one is over. This week pits your Dawgs up against the upset minded Tigers. Faurot Field will be rocking in Columbia this saturday. The Tigers are no stranger at playing the underdog role. They have upset many great teams in this last decade and look to do so this saturday. The Tigers are led by jr. QB James Franklin and their speedy back Henry Jones. These two put on a clinic last week to rout FCS Southeast 52-3. This week is a different story though. They will be facing the #5 team in the nation. A team with a veteran defense and a QB who is posed for the NFL spotlight. This should be a great matchup that could be decided in the 4th quarter.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Just finished my game vs Oregon State and now I can't connect to the servers to report my results. Ill keep trying to connect.

4. Ben

Ben Walk On

Marshall earns his stripes, propels Georgia to win!

Early in the first quarter a disaster happened. Ken Malcome, Georgia's #1 back, went down with a mild concussion that sidelined him for the remainder of the game. That left true freshman Keith Marshall to fill his shows and take most of the work load on the ground. Keith rose to the occasion and rushed for 179 yards on 24 carries and even scored a TD. The praise for this win doesn't just belong with Marshall though. Senior WR Tavarres King had 203 All-Purpose yards. His numbers were 2 catches for 24 yards and 2 TD's, plus he had 179 KR/PR yards and a score. The biggest play of the game belonged to King. A 101 yard KR to the house right before halftime to give the Dawgs a 13-10 lead going into the half. On the other side, Mizzou's QB James Franklin had 189 yards and a score.

Georgia came out slow, but it isn't about how you start its about how you finish. The second half was all Georgia. They outscored Mizzou 21-6 and finished the game with a 34-16 win. Give credit to Mizzou's team because they fought hard, but just weren't able to overcome the Bulldogs offensive attack. Next week Georgia will face Florida Atlantic at Sanford Stadium. Georgia should dominate that game and then roll into the meaty part of their schedule.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Good win! Mizzou should have pounded the rock more, their runningback only had 6 carries

6. Rekkapryde

Rekkapryde Walk On

gonna be a long season for me....

7. Rekkapryde

Rekkapryde Walk On

[​IMG] @ everyone ranked except me.....

8. Ben

Ben Walk On

Thanks man. The first game they killed me on the ground. This this time I knew their game plan and was ready for their rushing attack. They like to run no huddle and run it out of the shotgun formation. It was close in the first half, but I blew the gates wide open in the second half.

9. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Wisconsin 31 Oregon State 24

Coming into this game Bielima and Co. knew they were going to have to attempt to contain OSU senior WR Markus Wheaton, which they did, holding him to 2 rec for 48 Yds. Meanwhile OSU QB Sean Mannion found fellow sophmore WR Brandin Cooks 6 times for 101 yds and one score. Player of the game Peniel Jean a RS Soph recorded 7 tackles and picked off 2 passes, returning one for a TD which sealed the game for the Badgers. The badgers where limited to the ground game in the first half due the WRs and TEs coming down with a case of the drops in the Oregon rain. O'Brien finished the game going 18/25 194 Yds 1 TD. Offensive player of the game was by far Montee Ball. Ball rushed for 119 Yds 5.1 YPC and 1 TD, along with 6 receptions for 84 Yds.

Next week the Utah State Aggies come to Camp Randall for Wisconsin's first home game of the young season

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jon Jon Anderson

Jon Jon Anderson Walk On

Rekkapryde Auburn is'nt ranked either. You'll turn it around you have big games coming up.

11. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

IRISH CAPTURE 5TH STRAIGHT SHILLELAGH WITH 38-14 VICTORY OVER PURDUE

QB Tommy Rees bounced back from last week's four interceptions in a big way to lead the Irish to a 38-14 victory over intrastate rival Purdue. Rees completed 60% of his passes for 306 yards and two scores and did not cough up the rock. QB Everett Golson returned to the field after suffering a back injury and completed all five of his pass attempts for 68 yards and a score. Both Rees and Golson had great help from WRs John Goodman (10 catches, 169 yards, 2 TD) and Robby Toma (7 catches, 132 yards) who both had breakout performances. TE Tyler Eifert also snagged a score, but he was held in check for just 22 yards on 3 catches and a TD after dismantling the Navy coverage last week.

The Irish were not as one dimensional this week as the ground game managed to carry it 35 times for 157 yards and two scores. RB Cierre Wood was the star, carrying the ball 26 times for 122 yards and a score. Rees also plugged one into the end zone with an 11 yard scramble.

The Irish defense was susceptible to the pass allowing 261 yards and 2 TDs, but the stud linebacking corps held the Boilermakers to just 74 yards on 17 carries on the ground.

The Irish will look to carry this momentum into next week's showdown with bitter rival Michigan State.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Ohio State - UCF Preview

Ohio State will have a another chance to fine-tune their offense against an overmatched Central Florida squad today at Ohio Statdium. After watching film all week from their 35-10 win in the opener against Miami Ohio, the Ohio State coaching staff has some ideas on how to be more effecient offensively. Aside from 4 big plays in that opener, the Buckeyes struggled to move the ball.

"Our biggest problem was that we were facing too many third-and-sevens and we wan't to get those down to third-and-two, third-and-three. We need to do a better job of blocking when we run out of the shotgun and a better job of getting the ball out of the quarterback's hands and to our playmakers," said head coach Urban Meyer. One playmaker to watch out for is senior tailback Jordan Hall. Hall was somewhat effective rushing the ball week one, but showed his ability in the open field with a 47-yard punt return for a touchdown that shifted momentum in Ohio State's favor. Hall is a capable receiver out of the backfield and should get more touches in that facet of the game today.

Ohio State will also look for a receiver to step up and become a go-to-target for Braxton Miller. True Freshmen Michael Thomas looked good at times last week, particularly on his 53-yard touchdown when he blew past the secondary on a double move. Corey Brown was a key performer in the opener, but his biggest impact came on the ground on a 51-yard touchdown run. Meyer hopes that he can make a similar impact catching the ball in open space. Devin Smith was on the field for most of the game but had trouble catching the ball. He will have to improve on that or see his playing time dip in the near future. Tightend Jake Stoneburner also figures to be a top target for Miller.

Even after sacking the quarterback nine times last week, Buckeye defensive coordinator Luke Fickell believes that his squad can perform better against Central Florida. "We failed to force any turnovers last week and dropped some easy interceptions. I want to see them play aggressive and capatilze on those opportunities today." It will be interesting to see how Fickell and defensive line coach Mike Vrabel handle the defensive rotations today - seven defensive lineman saw significant playing time last week. "I think it gives us an advantage, to be so deep in one area," said John Simon, the senior defensive captain who recorded five sacks last Saturday. "It allows us to stay fresh and keep the offensive line on the defensive. It also breads competition. If (Noah) Spence gets one, I want to go back out there and get one myself." "We are going to continue to rotate these guys and put different looks out there," said Vrabel. "We think we have the best defensive line in the coutnry, and that goes beyond four players."

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rekkapryde

Rekkapryde Walk On

Doggie, I have no playmakers on offense. It's killing me now. My WRs are hot garbage. Granted that isn't my team's style, but I gotta damn near play a flawless game everytime.

14. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yeah thats tough, but I've played you so I know you got the skills to win, and you should be able to turn it around. It'll take some time, but it will be sick once you get there. You committed to sticking with the triple option?

15. Ben

Ben Walk On

Looks like someone is missing Stephen Hill. :p

Just dogging you man. Yea it'll get better in time. Go after more WR recruits if you aren't already. Just practice with your team more and see what works and what doesn't.

16. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

Time to get the next Megatron into the Ramblin' Wreck!

17. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

On to Week 2 and the mood of the Va Tech Hokies is even keel after the opening night win over Ga Tech. Coach Ransom says "The Ga Tech game was a good win but there are still some things we can improve upon and get better at." The coach loved the way his defense played against Ga Tech forcing 3 turnovers and sacking the qb twice. Now its on to play FCS Southeast and Coach Ransom says "Taking this team or any team lighty would be a big mistake".

18. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Buckeyes overcome mistakes, Central Florida
    For the second consecutive week Ohio State allowed an inferior opponent to stick around with them and this Central Florida almost pulled the upset off. Propelled by big plays, interceptions and timely stops, the Knights came close to becoming the first Non-Big 10 school to beat the Buckeyes in Columbus since USC in 2008.

Trailing 31-17 early in the fourth quarter, UCF's chances looked bleak. But on a fourth-and-four from the 43-yard line, quarterback Blake Bortles hooked up with Quincy McDuffie for a desperation touchdown. McDuffie made an unbelievable play, hauling in the bomb while fighting off two Buckeye defenders. The very next play from scrimmage, Braxton Miller was intercepted for a touchdown and the game was tied at 31.

Even after throwing his second interception of the game and costing his team the lead, Urban Meyer had faith in his sophomore quarterback. In a situation where most young quaterbacks might crumble under pressure, Miller would deliver for the scarlet and grey with an 18-play, 5-minute drive that put Ohio State ahead for good. The drive included several key third-down runs by Miller to keep the drive alive, two fourth-down conversions and was capped off by a Corey "Philly" Brown touchdown on a screen play. "It's an opportunity you can't take for granted," said Miller when asked about Meyer's decisions to let him lead the team down the field after throwing an interception. "He gave me the opportunity to redeem myself after messing up. I didn't wan't to let him, or my teammates, down."

Aside from the two interceptions, Miller had a great game, completing 15-22 of his passes and rushing for 102 on 18 carries. He scored four of Ohio State's five touchdowns. "You saw both sides of Braxton Miller today," said Meyer. "You saw the kid that is growing on the job, but you also saw the star that he is, a player that can truly be one of the most dangerous weapons in the nation."

Despite allowing 31 points, the Buckeye defense had a solid game, highlighted by a game-sealing stop in the redzone on UCF's final drive. They sacked the opposing quarterback four times and only gave up 284 yards of offense. Most of UCF's scoring drives started deep into Ohio State territory or with good field position, but the silver bullets made UCF work for every yard.

Next week Ohio State hosts Cal, in what should be a competitive game.

Key Performers

Braxton Miller: 15-22 for 186 yards, 2 TD 2 INT. 18 carries for 102 yards, 2 TD

Jordan Hall: 12 carries for 44 yards. 3 receptions for 45 yards

Corey Brown: 5 receptions for 101 yards, 2 TD

Ryan Shazier: 7 tackles, 5 solo, 2 TFL

Travis Howard: 3 tackles, 1 INT, 1 TD

• Like Like x 3
  19. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

The Va Tech Hokies dominated in their game and won by the score of 58-3. The offense played much much better after their non-stellar performance against Ga Tech. The offense was crisp and balanced, just the way Coach Ransom wants it. Logan Thomas had a good game completing 12 of 16 passes for 223 yards and 2 touchdowns. What Coach was most pleased with was the running game with a total of 253 yards on the ground. "We went back to pounding the football, we played VA Tech football" says the coach. The defense played good holding their opponent to 120 total yards and only 7 1st downs. Next week the Hokies travel to Pittsburgh to play the Pitt Panthers which should be a battle between two teams who love to run the football.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wayers50

wayers50 Walk On

UL Monroe @ #7 Arkansas

The Razorbacks play UL Monroe this Saturday in Arkansas. "We would love to get off to a fast start again in this game", Coach Wayers said today. " We also would like to get to get Tyler Wilson some reps as well, considering he only threw the ball 9 times last game" The Razorbacks look to focus on UL and not get caught looking forward to next week with their showdown with Alabama.

I should start this game around 930 tonight cause I get off around 9

21. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Sounds good. 6/12 have played so far. I know that you and Florida are playing tonight. Limbo and stiffy are on right now, so I assume they are playing at some point. That just leaves rekka and Clemson...so we shall see.

I'll be at the Dark Knight Rises premier tonight, midnight EST, so if you guys are ready for advance from midnight-2 it'll have to wait

22. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

Man i wish i seeing Batman but hopefully i get to see it this weekend. I know that movie is going to be awesome

23. wayers50

wayers50 Walk On

What??!? Chompions league doesn't wait on this so called dark knight.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

Agggg I hate this game, stupid thing froze before i backed out of the recruiting screen and a lost my whole weeks stuff all the recruits i scheduled to visit this week still say rdy...ouch

25. Ben

Ben Walk On

tough break man