Week 2, 2013 (Showdown Saturday)

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

After a tumultuous opening week where we saw two users upset by computer teams, and the reigning Heisman winner look flat in his encore debut, we move on to Week 2. Showdown Saturday features three User-User games, each with their own interesting storylines. ​
    Virginia Tech travels to Columbus to take on the Buckeyes, in what could be one of the biggest games of the season. Virginia Tech will look to begin their campaign to repeat as national champions with a statement win. Ohio State, who finished #2 in the polls last year, hopes to prove that this is their year to win the title. ​
    In Athens, Oklahoma and Georgia matchup in a game that could be considered a must win for both programs. Oklahoma, coming off of an embarrassing Week 1 loss, enters a stretch where they play 6 ranked teams, 3 of them being users. A win could give them some much-needed positive momentum. Georgia is still looking for their first win against a User opponent, having gone 0-3 last season.​
    And finally in Madison, the Wisconsin Badgers host the Florida Gators in a battle between two teams that lost the last User game they played in respective BCS games. The last time the Badgers hosted a User while ranked #2? Last year's loss to Ohio State at the end of the season. Florida's last User game against the #2 team? Their loss in the national championship to Virginia Tech. Something has to give today. ​
    #6 Michigan @ #15 Florida State​
    Arkansas vs. Colorado​
    #5 Auburn vs. Louisville​
    #20 Georgia Tech vs. ECU​
    #3 Notre Dame vs. Nebraska​
    Oklahoma @ #18 Georgia
    #11 Florida @ #2 Wisconsin
    User Game of the Week: #1 Virginia Tech @ #7 Ohio State

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I can play tonight after 730, my schedule is getting a little crowded now that the high school season has officially started. I will post my schedule in the vacation thread today when I get home from work.

3. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

IRISH HANDLE HUSKERS IN FIRST B1G HOME GAME

With Tommy Rees struggling again, Gunner Kiel stepped in and likely earned the starting job with another great performance to lead the Irish to a 42-25 victory over Nebraska. After throwing for 4 scores last week, Kiel came in early and fired 3 touchdowns. He only completed 56% of his passes on an upstart Cornhusker secondary, but he was able to find Luke Massa and Tyler Eifert for a pair of big scores to lead the Irish.

After struggling last week against Minnesota, the Irish run game finally found itself against a Big Ten defense as Cierre Wood racked up 157 yards and a score. Everett Golson also carried the rock for 83 yards and a TD on six carries.

The Irish face their first big conference test next week when #2 Wisconsin travels to South Bend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Kiel officially the starter?

5. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

Until he has a poor showing, yes. He's simply making better throws than Rees this season and has earned the spot.

6. Ben

Ben Walk On

Georgia steamrolls OU, gains serious momentum
    f9hclkzyftlynvgb1wgf.gif hr85j3g1duiqf59eiep9bvnsd.gif

This game had all the credentials of a great one, but OU just wasn't talented enough to withstand Georgia's offensive attack. Aaron Murray didn't have a perfect day, but he played great. He did what he had to do, which was be a game manager. He threw for only 166 yards and 1 td/1 int. The int was a pick six and put Georgia down early by 7. Murray quickly shook it off and came back out, driving Georgia down the field. They scored and never looked back. Scoring 35 unanswered points against OU in the course of 3 quarters. Georgia won this game convincingly, 35-14. OU scored its only offensive td on the last play of the game.

KEY PERFORMANCES

Georgia
    Ken Malcome ~ 22 carries, 157 yards, 2 td's
    Keith Marshall ~ 9 carries, 63 yards, 2 td's

OU
    Trey Franks ~ 4 catches, 75 yards, td
    Rashod Favors ~ 4 tackles, 2 sacks

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheMNorthFace

TheMNorthFace Walk On

Not a good start for the Boomer Sooners, Boraby.

8. jandy

jandy Walk On

Michigan knocks off new addition Florida State to win opener
    In their first game of the season, the Michigan defense looked great as it led the team to a victory over the new Big Ten addition, Florida State. CB Blake Countess led the onslaught, as he intercepted QB Jameis Winston twice and added a forced fumble and 8 tackles. Although the yardage numbers for the Noles were a little high, Michigan is still pleased with the way they forced turnovers and didn't allow a passing touchdown.
    Trick Washington's first TD.PNG
    This game also marked the beginning of the Trick Washington era. Starter Devin Gardner was knocked out of the game in the second quarter with a concussion while the Wolverines trailed 7-3. Trick entered his first collegiate game, on the road, while losing, and promptly showed why he was such a highly touted recruit. On his first career carry, a read option, he faked the handoff and scampered 4 yards into the endzone. On the next Wolverine drive, Trick found fellow Freshman TE Roderick Johnson across the middle for a 38 yard TD strike. Later in the game, Trick added his second rushing touchdown, this time for 61 yards, on another read option play.
    "We couldn't have asked for a better game from Trick," Coach Brady Hoke said. "Some of the runs he made today took us back to last year while we watched Denard rip through defenses. I can't wait to see what this kid has in store next week." Next week, Michigan hosts the Stanford Cardinal, who are hot off a huge upset over a ranked Oregon Team.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

Frazier rebounds from opening day slump to throw for 500 yards and account for 7 tds as he looks to stake claim on the Heisman ​
    ScreenHunter_06 Aug. 08 20.44.jpg ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 08 20.44.jpg

10. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Crucial Mistakes Take Down Badgers

In an epic game that came down to the wire, the Florida Gators are victorious 31-28 over the Wisconsin Badgers. FR(RS) QB Bart Houston threw an arrant pass into double coverage and was picked off with under a minute left in a tie ball game. Bielema said after the game "Bart [Houston] learn a lesson the hard way today......he tried to force the ball down field when he didn't need to, its something the coaching staff and I will work on with him. It was a great game a game I feel we should have won, at the end of the day we will tip our hats to Florida they are a great team I'm excited to play them again next year." The Badgers may have stopped all the talk about the speed coming into the Big Ten by hanging with Florida till the end. The next test against Notre Dame their second of many difficult games on the road this season.

florida13.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Tough loss Glen Cieske, but you are definitely in every user game you've lost and thats a positive. You'll catch some breaks eventually I'm sure.

Me and CJ are playing tomorrow at 2, advance will come no later than 330 ET. wayers50 you need to play

12. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I was pissed at myself when I threw that pick, I knew right as I hit the button it was a mistake.

13. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I did exactly what you did in like NCAA 10 against a CPU Michigan team. Tie game, tried a last minute drive to win, threw a pick and they won. I generally run it out in that situation or call very conservative pass plays.

14. Ben

Ben Walk On

Looks like the SEC is dominating so far in user v user games :p

15. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Small sample size so far, but it will be interesting to see how it shakes up in the end. So far;

Big 10: 0-1
    Big 12: 0-1
    SEC: 2-0

16. Ben

Ben Walk On

Yea that's true. I can't wait to play Florida and Auburn again. I have a better grasp of Georgia now. It'll be interesting.

17. Jon Jon Anderson

Jon Jon Anderson Walk On

That was a good game glen. We had dropped alot of interceptions and they finally caught one at the end. It was a game of big plays and mistakes. See you in the swamp next year!

18. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Statement in the Shoe
    For more than a year now, the Virginia Tech defense has been widely considered the best unit in college football. And rightfully so, after they led the Hokies to an unexpected national title in 2012. But it was the Silver Bullets from Ohio State that suffocated Virginia Tech's offense, leading the Buckeyes to a 17-3 win. If there was any doubt that Ohio State is one of the best teams in college football this season, that was squashed too.
    The Buckeye defense lived in the Hokies backfield, holding Virginia Tech to .7 yards per carry and sacking Logan Thomas six times. Virginia Tech was still able to move the ball, converting on 5 of their 12 third down attempts, but when they needed a stop the Buckeye defense came through with big plays. Trailing 10-0 late in the first half, Virginia Tech attempted to drive down the field and cut the lead before halftime. Ohio State's Ryan Shazier intercepted a forced pass from Thomas and took all momentum away from the Hokies.
    In the fourth quarter, as Virginia Tech desperately tried to get back in the game, the Buckeyes defense once again stepped up to the occasion. Trailing 17-3 with just over 2 minuites left in the game, Virginia Tech drove down to the four yardline after a long screen pass to JC Coleman. On first and second down, the Buckeyes stuffed Virginia Tech's run game. Then, as Virgina Tech attempted to pass their way into the endzone, the Buckeyes secondary played perfect coverage and forced coverage sack. On fourth-and-goal from the fifteen yardline, Christian Bryant jumped a post route in the endzone and returned the interception fourty yards, clinching a Buckeye victory.
    Ohio State struggled to get much done offensively, but unlike Virginia Tech, they where able to capatilze on their few opportunities. On the second drive of the game, Braxton Miller hit Chris Fields on a short curl route for a first down, but Fields bounced off a tackle and scampered 33-yards into the endzone, sending the packed Columbus crowd into a frenzy. Ohio State's second touchdown came in the third quarter, on a 23-yard Miller scramble to give the Buckeyes a convincing 17-0 lead.
    Much of OSU's offensive success can be attributed to the great field position they received from superb special teams play. Freshman Ray Hall's 39-yard punt return into Hokie territory in the third quarter set up Miller's touchdown run and deflated a Virginia Tech defense that always seemed to have their back against the wall.
    With the #1 and #2 teams losing this week, this win should move Ohio State up toward the top of the polls. Ohio State will travel to East Lansing next week to take on another top-25 team in Michigan State. The Spartans nearly beat OSU last season, leading most of the game before falling in double overtime. After such a monumental victory, it will be interesting to see if OSU can maintain such a high level of play next week. For that reason, next weeks matchup could be a trap game for the Buckeyes.

• Like Like x 1