Week 2, 2017

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by nikpin, Jan 5, 2013.

1. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Will advance again in 24 hours.

Looks like just about everyone has a game.

2. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Cornell Exacts A Bit Of Revenge Against Navy:

Ithaca, NY - I think it's time to replace my rivalry with Columbia with the Naval Academy. In an extremely hard hitting contest which consisted of my starting QB getting injured for the game, Navy's FB breaking his collarbone and repeated injuries on both sides(a 3 week sprained ankle for one of my WR's as well), the Cornell Big Red find a way to win 14-7 in OT. This evens up Coach Crumb's record against Navy at 2-2 with both wins in Ithaca and Navy's two wins in Washington D.C. in the Military Bowl. Yes, you read that score correct, 14-7. Both teams managed to move the ball pretty well between the 30's but neither team could punch the ball in throughout the contest.

Cornell's only TD in regulation came on the very first possession in the down pouring rain when Freshman QB Cohen lead a beautiful drive and ultimately made the perfect pitch to the running back Whitaker who took it the distance for the TD to make it 7-0. Navy would score one touchdown in the first half and it was 7-7. The second half was just an ultimate defensive slugfest with neither team able to really make any important plays to put them into position to score. Cornell would proceed to miss the game winning field goal in regulation when it came one yard short.

In the OT frame, backup QB King who started a couple of games in relief of Rogers completed a nice slant pass and made the winning TD run. On Navy's possession, they would drive the ball down to the 10 yard line but ultimately would come up short when the DL would put enough pressure on Navy's starting QB to prevent the pass from getting out of the back field. Full credit has to go to the Cornell defense for doing the job in this contest and exacting the revenge.

"It was just another great game between our two programs. I have a ton of respect for Navy and a ton of respect for that coaching staff but we sure wanted to beat those guys this year." said Coach Crumb. "We're going to have to play a lot better offensively if we're going to have a chance against Northwestern. However, for a first game for Cohen it was decent. He made some great throws and made two bad decisions which led to INT's and a third decision on a pitch which ended up a fumble on a drive that could have led us to points. Bottom line we know he'll be a lot better in future games and we know we have a now seasoned Sophomore that can come in and take over at QB if needed."

For the record, King also played some Cornerback for the Big Red in the contest.

"He's just a great athlete. Ironically both him and Cohen had the skills to be two of our best Cornerbacks on the team but they seem more comfortable with the ball in their hands on the offensive side."

Cornell travels to Evanston, Illinois looking for a program establishing Win against the Wildcats of Northwestern.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CoachG72

CoachG72 Walk On

I will tomorrow at 8ct. At a funeral out of town, and will be back then

4. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

I'm back and will play tonight.

5. Qwigly

Qwigly Walk On

howard_university_athletics_logo965x965.jpg Howard escapes with a 27-24 win over Maryland to gain state bragging rights over the in state University.

"Seems like we have the same challenges each season, didnt protect the qb well, didnt complete passes, make catches, block, tackle or defend well but we sneaked out with a win.

Defensively we really struggled, guys seemed confused early on. Once they settled we couldn't tackle. Gave up over 100 yards after contact.

Offensively, too many sacks, not very good blocking in the run or passing game and difficulty completing simple passes.

Not often you win after giving up over 400 yards of offense while barely managing to get 250 yourself. Key play was Daugherty's interception returned for a TD.

We'll keep working, hopefully see some improvement when Temple comes to town next week."

More detailed write up in the Howard thread under Game Summaries

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. CoachG72

CoachG72 Walk On

Still set to play tonight at 8 ct.

7. nikpin

Sound good. I'll advance after.

8. CoachG72

CoachG72 Walk On

Thanks man!

9. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

So, how's recruiting from your phone these days?

10. CoachG72

CoachG72 Walk On

Travel plans have me delayed. Can it wait until 10 ct or does it need to be simmed

11. CoachG72

CoachG72 Walk On

Playing now

12. nikpin

13. DirtycashDylan

I should have a bye until week 3

14. DirtycashDylan

I could've swore I scheduled 2 byes. Oh we'll, don't wait on me.